Isaac
Years ago

Schenscher training with the 36ers today

Having returned from his attempted run at the Las Vegas Summer League, Luke Schenscher is back working out with the 36ers before next week's Boomers training camp.

If you're quick, you can probably make it to the Dome and catch the action - training runs until 11:45.

Topic #20503 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

That is great to make training more competitive, especially for Burston as it has been reported he has been training exceptionally well with his offensive ability being a surprise. However, he should really dominate as there isn't any other bigs he has to go up against besides Holmes and Ballinger so this will test him more.

Reply #243763 | Report this post

Milhouse  
Years ago

What happened with the whole summer league thing? Why didnt he play?

Reply #243764 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Back injury ( disc I think )

Reply #243766 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Back injury and then having that meant he hadn't trained enough. End result was that he had some trouble with the pre-league drills and they didn't pick him for Vegas. Hopefully he bounces back and gets a good opportunity somewhere.

Only hearing good stuff about Burston, so hopefully he can take that into the season when it eventually starts up.

Reply #243769 | Report this post

Forro  
Years ago

sixers should sign casey frank or nick horvath if they dont sign schenscher.

Reply #243773 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was worthwhile going for a look.
Burston outstanding.
Although Schenscher improved when they switched Gilchrist onto his team.
Burston and Gilchrist clearly the best today.

Reply #243783 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Camel 31, From what you saw is Gilchrist a keeper??

Reply #243785 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

About 10 of us there including Boti. Good to have a quick chat to Ben Fitz.
Defence clearly on top. Pretty hard to get a shot away. Burston would be the first one you'd pick looking at today.

Reply #243786 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gilchrist - Today was quick hard working a few turnovers. Did some very good things, combined well mainly with Burston. On today, I'd like to see him again, but I think so.

Reply #243788 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Buston has always been a great player.....It's his health that is the concern.

You also get a great club person. One of the real nice guys.

Reply #243789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the Sixers going to get the scoring from besides Ballinger. Burston is only good for 8-10 per game. Gilchrist is apparently a pass-first, defensive point guard and Holmes, Hill and Ng are not top-line scorers...

Reply #243791 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was a bit like that today. That is not much scoring
Although Burston top scored and will score plenty.

Reply #243793 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Cheers for that Anonymous but most of what you said was wrong. Burston probably averages 12 a game in 20 minutes. He will be playing alot more minutes with us. Holmes will give us 15-20. Hill will be in double figures. NG will be in double figures and Gilchrist is a shoot first point guard. Pretty much anyone on our team could have a double digit game and also we got another import to come.

Reply #243804 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Hence looking for an import "scorer"

Reply #243805 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

From the scouting reports on Gilly thta I have read he is a shoot first pass second type of player. Not sure that he has chnaged since leaving college.

Camel was at training but remember the guy is still on a trial period so he'd want to find the open teamate before looking for is own shot.

Once he is signed you'd thing he would look more aggressively for his own shot.

Reply #243806 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

are most training sessions open for the public to come have a look? i'm free next week and wouldn't mind popping in, and checking out gilchrist.

Reply #243808 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, not sure Holmes will get enough minutes to average 10+ PPG. Certainly won't approach 20 PPG.

hooked, I think so - email [email protected] to confirm times before you go along just in case. Not sure what the current schedule is, but you'll want to make sure you catch a day when they're actually scrimmaging and not just doing weights or fitness stuff only.

Reply #243811 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac you think Holmes minutes will be cut this season (besides the reduced game time)? I guess 15-20 was a little optimistic as I am expecting an improvement by him.

Reply #243814 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hahaha... surely the comment from big sexy was worthy of a little ball....

"Camel 31, From what you saw is Gilchrist a keeper??"

If it wasnt intentional...well, that just makes it funnier.

(he was also one hell of a batsman)

Reply #243815 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

thanks isaac!

Reply #243816 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I'm pretty confident that Big Sexy would have let that one go through on purpose...

Reply #243817 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And I missed it..
in a little bit of excitment seeing that today..
Anyways - I like the way he fed - most of the time.. just there were a few that were way off target..

Reply #243821 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Gilchrist is NOT a pass first.

he's a score first PG.

Reply #243822 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

DB5..you could be right.. i thought he was being ..edgy :)

Reply #243826 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, I just can't see him getting the opportunities to really up his production. That's no dig at Jake himself at all, I just think he'll be fighting for minutes with Ballinger, probably an import and Hill.

Unfortunately, it's the reality of these 40 minute games - remember that everyone's scoring is likely to drop. Our top scorer might only average 18 PPG. Anything in double figures might be decent.

I think the 36ers will find ways to score - Ng, Hill, Ballinger, imports, etc - they won't have trouble putting up points.

Reply #243827 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Unfortunately it was not on purpose but I will take the ball anyway

Reply #243831 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Is Brad Davidson training with 36ers?
How does he look and what are his chances?

Reply #243833 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

As with above, Scott indicated that an announcement re the future of Brad and David will be made by the end of this week.

Any news????

Reply #243836 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't recall seeing Coops or Davo there.

( Ballinger has been finding it tough going against Burston - I was told)

Reply #243858 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

BS that you got a ball for it was BS.

: )

Reply #243865 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'I think the 36ers will find ways to score - Ng, Hill, Ballinger, imports, etc - they won't have trouble putting up points.'

Isaac, didn't you watch the elimination final against the Breakers last season? and that was with Schenscher!

I believe they still have huge problems with scoring.

Reply #243874 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If I reacall it was more our inability to stop breakers. Hill had 30 plus balls 20 plus and we scored over 100.We should have plenty of firepower with a quality import, Gillchrist,Ballinger,Burston, Hill,Ng,Holmes and Herbert who can really shoot the ball. Must improve at the defensive end.

Reply #243885 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, I did and as Anon said, Adelaide still racked up 101 points despite just three points from Maher and nine from Schenscher.

Reply #243897 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

It's a very good running side looking at it, Burston is very mobile for his size, Ballinger will trail and you have Hill and Holmes running the wings with Ng and Gilchrist pushing the ball at every opportunity. From what I hear he likes to get into the keyway and so far has been a pretty good passer. As long as he averages 5-6 assists i'll be happy.
Schenscher is no chance at all from what i've heard (from the coaches mouth), so people can forget about him and also I don't think the pg from Tassie is in with a chance.
My guess is they will go with a young pg (under 23) as a back up and Cooper or Davidson and a young (under 23) back up Centre probably Sturt.
They then fill the last import spot with Groves or Grizzard depending on where Scottie feels they lack the most. I think if they are looking at playing a running game they would be better off with someone like Groves who can shoot the three. I don't remember Grizzard running the floor too hard from memory.

Reply #243899 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'If I reacall it was more our inability to stop breakers. Hill had 30 plus balls 20 plus and we scored over 100'

-'Adelaide still racked up 101 points despite just three points from Maher and nine from Schenscher.'

Guys the 36ers scored many points when the game was well and truly over. The team could not even buy a basket in that first half. If the players cannot even rise to the occasion in the biggest game of the year, what hope will they ever have?(have a good look at the past history of some of these players- it is not that good)

The 36ers only hope will be if they secure two imports who can constantly put up good numbers.

Reply #243923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A, the club will probably only bring back 3, maybe 4 players from last year. Pretty hard to correlate last years finals game with this years team.

Reply #243942 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

A you think we have huge problems with scoring?? We have a much better offensive team this year

Schenscher vs Burston = Schenscher just
Ballinger = Same
Holmes = Same if not more
Maher vs Groves = same if not more
Bruce vs Gilchrist = Gilchrist

Cooper vs Sturt (guessing he will get picked) = Sturt
Winatana vs Herbert = Herbert
Hill = same if not more
Davidson = probably less
Grizzard vs Ng = same depending on how Ng goes.

Other then Schenscher and Davidson's decline we have a much better offensive team. So I don't see why you think it is a problem.

Reply #243989 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

KJ,
This won't be the team, you still need to add an U23 Player

Reply #243990 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sturt is under 23

Reply #243992 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I thought I heard that is doesn't qualify for u23. If he does we should get him

Reply #243993 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Big sexy, it is pretty close to the team we will have. Anyway the emphasis is we add another import and have more natural scorers compared with last season.

Reply #243994 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

KJ,
Don't get me wrong I don't think we will have trouble scoring, I am expecting to see Hill lift his production this year with more court time and Ng and will after is stint in Singapore. I don't think it is unrealistic to expect a combined 25ppg from those 2.

Reply #243996 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Adrien Sturt's birthday on nbl.com is 02/05/86,
which means he is 5 1/2 months older than Brad Hill, who is too old to be classified as an u/23,
so I reckon Sturt is not eligible for U/23 status.

Reply #244007 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

KJ, starting Holmes in that group is already a big mistake, plus this starting 5 is give or take scoring only a fraction more than last seasons team.

-'Schenscher vs Burston = Schenscher just
Ballinger = Same
Holmes = Same if not more
Maher vs Groves = same if not more
Bruce vs Gilchrist = Gilchrist'

Reply #244009 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

A, I'd prefer him not to start either if we got a good import small forward. However, even with a good import SF I can see him starting since he is very well liked by the coaching staff and the general basketball public.

On the other hand, I am expecting improvement from him this season as he has another years experience under his belt as well as Australian experience. Furthermore, he has been doing exceptionally well in beep test which proves he is extremely fit so maybe he is quicker as well. We can only hope. So there is certainly more positives there. We will just have to wait and see how he goes.

Reply #244015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754