Rhythm Willie
Years ago

Shoes - What to choose.

The last 2 pairs of basketball shoes I bought were expensive and did'nt last long (glue failing or lace holes braking etc).

In the good old days I bought some American made leather Converse shoes (all stiched) which lasted years playing three times a week.(the soles eventually wore out)

Before a holiday to the NT recently I bought a pair of Asics shoes for walking around(80% court, 20% running).
With a 20% discount voucher they were reasonably priced, comfortable, all leather upper, strong and light. I have noticed a trend by a lot of men ABA players to start wearing similar shoes(yes most of the women seem to prefer a "court" shoe). Examples include Andrew Puddifoot last year and I saw Matt Atkins wearing some Asics Saturday night(shot well with six 3 pointers and 28 points). High ankle support is not an issue as they all seem to strap their ankles. Andrew liked them because they were comfortable and much lighter than basketball shoes.

Any thoughts on good shoes?

Topic #20521 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

IMO - the best ball shoe ever produced is the Hyperdunk. If you prefer a low cut, the Kobe IV is the way to go.

Reply #244078 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Asics court shoes are excellent - nearly all women netball players wear them. they are far better for your feet than most of the basketball shoes out on the market, but they do not produce anythying other than low-cut options.
I have worn Nike, And1 and Converse over the years and I keep coming back to Converse. They are a better made shoe and outlast anything else I have ever worn. I do also use orthotics in them though unlike in my younger days...

Reply #244083 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If your shoes are breaking unacceptably, take them back and get them replaced. When he was a kid, I swear my brother (and parents) did that with pair after pair. I think you should be able to expect that a $150-250 pair of shoes will stay together for more than a couple of months of reasonable use.

Reply #244086 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Agreed Kad,

If your looking for a light basketball shoes then the Kobe IV is definitely the way too go!

Reply #244089 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

oh my god ....asics??!! are you guys kidding me??
my hyperdunks are the 2nd best shoes I've ever balled in. i play /train three times a week and I've had no problems. i guess they'll last as long as you look after them. mine have never been worn off the court.

Kad- i hear ya, but the Jordan 11 are the best ever looking and game shoe. hyperdunks are a very close second.

anyone played in the Nike hyperize white men cant jump edition?

Reply #244090 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Next question, wheres a good place to find Kobe 1V's. Does one have to buy via internet?

Reply #244091 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

I play in Jordan XX3's and they are an awesome basketball shoe. I would definitely recommend getting the Kobe IV's, they are so light, or even the Nike Zoom MVP's they are very similar to the Kobe's and $50 cheaper.. The new technology they are putting in shoes these days is incredible..
As for buying Kobe IV's hmmm, maybe Eastbay, PYS, ebay, Foot locker used to have them, but i haven't seen them lately

Reply #244093 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Air Jordan 11's, followed by the 13's.

Love playing in the Lebron 20-5-5 at the moment as well. So light.

Reply #244095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nike flights, i loved my pennys as well back in the day.

Reply #244099 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Get them on Eastbay. Use the code at the top of the forum to get 15% off. Shipping normally takes a week or so, but worth the wait.

Reply #244103 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

It's not about feel or comfort! It's about look and being one of a kind. :)

I'm wearing Starbury's to be original...

I've got a pair of Green DaDa's (chris webber used to endorse them)

Shaq Shoes - which were surprisingly comfortable

but jordan's are the best for look - 4's 5's 1's 11's 9's WOW

Reply #244104 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

I agree with Rod on that point, but only to a degree. I picked up the AI Reebok Pumps earlier this year for a social carnival, worst ball shoe ever.

I currently run with the Hyperdunk in the "United We Rise" colorway.

Reply #244107 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Jordan 16's are sick to play in as are the 23's and the Air Force max

Reply #244109 | Report this post

PodMan  
Years ago

As a podiatrist, for males, I highly recommend Asics cross trainers for court sports.....or Asics Netburners for netabllers and female basketballers. They have great support.....even being low cut around the ankle.....far more supportive than any other "brand names". Unfortunately unlike netball, there is no specific Asics basketball shoe for men.

Just make sure you get the 80% court and not the 20% court. Asics 490TR is what you are after. The cheaper 150TR is also an option (but they may wear more heavily than the 490TR). You could also try Joggersworld at Harbour Town for the 480TR or 140TR (preceeding models) at a reduced price.

Asics cross trainers are not as aesthetically pleasing as Hyperdunks etc...but a far more stable, supportive shoe. And they run to a size 16....might even go to a 17 in US?

Reply #244115 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

to bad Asics are dog ugly, i'd play barefoot before I'd wear them.

Reply #244298 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Nike Hyperdunks, CAN NOT go past them.

Reply #244324 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

i've been playin in zoom legend low for a couple of years now ... wish i could find them again

Agree with Issac though .... if you've paid for a shoe that you think havent lasted as they should .... take em back

If you have looked after them most stores will take them back and sort out a new pair or a swap.

Have done it a couple of times ....

I have found it's sometimes better to get the middle of the range shoe than the top dollar jobs, i've had a heap of different shoes and i usually end up not wearing the top dollar one too often....

Reply #244355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754