Lloyd Braun
Years ago

webber gets traded to 76ers

ESPN.com news services
The Sacramento Kings traded Chris Webber to the Philadelphia 76ers late Wednesday night, parting ways with the cornerstone of their renaissance in a stunning six-player deal that dramatically reshaped both teams.

Chris Webber
Power Forward
Sacramento Kings

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
46 21.3 9.7 5.5 .449 .799

In a deal first reported by ESPN Insider Chad Ford, the Sixers acquired Webber, one of the NBA's elite power forwards and a five-time All-Star, along with reserve forwards Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley. Philadelphia sent forwards Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson to the Kings, who finally divested themselves of Webber's mammoth contract after years of rumors and speculation.

Topic #2054 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Can anyone explain why the Kings did this? Yeah, Webber is a little injury prone, but he's one of the elite players in the NBA, has picked up a few triple doubles recently, and surely he's better than a couple of average players?!

Worst part is that I have him in my fantasy team because of the Kings' good schedule. Crap!

Reply #23157 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Philly for the east babY!!!!

Reply #23158 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

R the kings completely crazy??
that is one of the dumbest deals i have ever seen

Reply #23159 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

all the sudden philli have a inside outside game.could philli now challenge the likes of miami and detroit and indiana in the east now with webber?will iverson have to change the way he plays.(share the shots around)?

Reply #23160 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Stojakovic and Webber never really got along. Peja loved it when Chris was injured last season and wants to be the main focus in offence. When Chris came back last season from injury he took a lot of shots from Peja and that's why Peja asked to be traded at the start of the season.

Reply #23161 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Damn, that's a east breaking trade, the Sixers get a awesome power forward, and the Kings get nothing....

Kings are now an average Western Conference team. Money isn't a problem for the Maloof's, so the contract payout isn't a reason for this trade.

Who'd you keep Stoj or Webber. I would take Webber anyday of the week.

When I first saw the topic, I was betting that it was a swap for Iverson. To keep 'The Answer' and tag team him with Webber, Philly will be the big movers in the East.

Reply #23171 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

They did it for several reasons. Webber is injury-prone, he gets in the way of Miller, Bibby and Peja, and he has a huge contract for another 3 years. The Kings are taking one step back to take two steps forward.

But hey, I'm a Bull fan. What do I care anyway? Go Bulls!

Reply #23178 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I'd take Peja anyday. The Kings don't need C.Webb anyway, they showed that last year.

Reply #23197 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

I wonder what the King's plans are.
They have lost / traded three key players from last year's team (Divac, Christie and Webber) They have lost a fair bit of leadership and experience there. I just wonder what direction they are heading in. I know Williamson won a ring with Detroit last year but....

Reply #23210 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

It may be a risk for the 76ers because Webber is a little injury prone but if it doesnt work out, I dont think the 76ers are any worse off. They didnt lose any of their top players in the trade. Fantastic swap for Billy Cunningham. Word is that Iverson wanted a quality big man and he got it. But it is definately a backwards step for the kings. It will be interesting to see Peja's numbers now that Webber isnt there.

Reply #23213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about Miller's numbers? Someone has to pick up 20 PPG, 10 RPG and 5 APG. You'd expect Peja to get a good portion of the points, but I think Miller might take on a few boards and assists (he dishes it out more than your average centre).

I'd just like to know if the Kings were thinking of all the fantasy hoopsters with this decision. Webber has gone from having 3 games in 5 days, to probably playing 1 with the Sixers (unlikely to suit today apparently). Do you sit through a dry spell and wait for the Sixers dense patch coming up? I'm not!

Reply #23214 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Glen 'piss weak dog' Robinson sent to New Orleans for Jamal Mashburn as well...looks like philly is making a run for the east!

Any word on Alonzo yet?? GO HEAT!

Reply #23232 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The trade I find interesting is Walker getting shipped back to the Celtics for Payton.

Payton was pissed to be in Boston, what's he gonna do in Atlanta. I'm thinking no show......

Reply #23239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Apparently Caron Butler has had a convenient bout of the flu to avoid being traded. Haha.

NBA.com are calling it a "trading storm". Here's the breakdown.

---

KINGS-SIXERS BREAKDOWN
Philadelphia acquires Matt Barnes, Michael Bradley and Chris Webber
Sacramento gets Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson

HORNETS-SIXERS BREAKDOWN
New Orleans gets Glenn Robinson
Philadelphia acquires Jamal Mashburn, Rodney Rogers

BUCKS-ROCKETS BREAKDOWN
Milwaukee acquires Reece Gaines, two second-round draft picks
Houston gets Zendon Hamilton, Mike James

BUCKS-MAVERICKS BREAKDOWN
Milwaukee acquires Calvin Booth, Alan Henderson, cash
Mavericks get Keith Van Horn

CAVALIERS-CELTICS BREAKDOWN
Cleveland acquires Jiri Welsch
Boston gets first-round pick in 2007

KNICKS-ROCKETS BREAKDOWN
New York acquires Maurice Taylor
Houston receives Vin Baker, Moochie Norris, second-round pick in 2006

CELTICS-HAWKS BREAKDOWN
Boston acquires Antoine Walker
Atlanta receives Gary Payton, Tom Gugliotta, Michael Stewart, future first-round pick

WARRIORS-HORNETS BREAKDOWN
Golden State gets Baron Davis
New Orleans acquires Speedy Claxton, Dale Davis

KNICKS-SPURS BREAKDOWN
New York gets Malik Rose, conditional first-round draft picks in 2005, 2006
San Antonio acquires Nazr Mohammed, Jamison Brewer

---

Reply #23241 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The best trade is still Philly getting Webber for loose change....

Nothing has come close to that.

Reply #23242 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

And Philly has also got Monster Mash and Rodney Rogers, that's a couple of good pick ups there too. Philly looking good if everyone stays injury free!
What's with Boston getting back Walker and Spurs trading Rose for nothing???

Reply #23244 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"San Antonio acquires Nazr Mohammed, Jamison Brewer"

Nazr is 10.9 PPG and 8.1 RPG, so not too shabby.

Reply #23246 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yer but he's a centre, do they need another centre? I thought Rose was a great fit for the team, was a role player who hit the boards hard and would have got a lot of tips to keep the ball alive. Just because someone scores a few more points doesn't mean they'll fit into the team...

Reply #23249 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Atlanta building for Bogut? Payton to Bogut the next 'Stockton to Malone' for about 1 season?

Reply #23250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sean Marks is on the injured list and Nesterovic has been playing limited minutes (19 against Houston, for 8 points, 3 rebounds). Rasho is averaging 5.3 PPG this season so maybe they're looking to play him off the bench? His output has dropped since last season.

Reply #23255 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I bet you Payton and Gugliotta both don't suit for that rabble Atlanta...what a joke. I think Googs now has only a couple of teams left to be traded too before he completes the whole set

Reply #23256 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Payton to Bogut...no way...... Payton will tell the Hawks to stick it sideways, and will not report.

Googs will report to get his paycheck. He has barely played the last few years, so some more splinters in his ar$e won't matter.

Reply #23259 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

It took me a while to see where Sacto was coming from on this one, but when it came to the choice between Peja and Webber they went with Peja.

It looks like loose change at first glance but Kenny Thomas is a solid starting PF and Williamson is a good 6th man. The Kings are getting deeper and tougher.

Having Webber who is forever floating around the high post and settling for jumpers just doesn't suit the way the Kings want to play. I think if Peja stays healthy and the team can get the chemistry they had last year they will definately make the playoffs.

The 76ers come up big in terms of talent from that trade but they are starting to spread themselves quite thin. Remains to be seen whether AI can actually coexist with another talented player, yet atleast on paper it would seem that their team has a better structure than it has in a long time.

Reply #23267 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

they just have to hope that peja will stay around, there was some talk with him looking at the bulls a while ago. If he does still want to move they are a bust.

Reply #23277 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Give some respect to Googs TR...prior to his knee blowing out he was an All Star and part of the Dream Team (although never played Olympics)

Reply #23279 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

payton will come good.i cant see him staying with us next year but he will enjoy throwing alleys to j smith.most importanly we got another 1st round pick.bar the 2 other hacks with also got.

Reply #23281 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

now that i have read up a bit more i heard payton googs and stewart are will be waived straight away.celtics to pick up payton from free agents.so it means to deal was bascially walker for a 1st round pick.
if paton did stay imagine this
payton childress smith harrington bogut.

Reply #23291 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

cheeze, that 5 you just listed would get spanked by a div 5 gawler gunners team. Nothing to get excited about there, as a unit I mean. Bogut rules.

Payton is WAY passed his prime. A handy benchy at best. Too much attitude

Reply #23293 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

the dcotor wtf do you always 95% of the time post straight after one of my posts,and bag my previuos post.you hack.that starting 5 with 2 free agents pick up eg kwame,joe johnson or chandler will be a finals team next year.

Reply #23296 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

What free agent will go to Atlanta? I always post straight after you coz ur such an easy target. I have no shame.

I hop by finals, you mean playoffs? Even then, no chance..

Reply #23298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha! Its true

Reply #23299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahha.time will tell.go and punch in some nails to your stadium in port adelaide,its falling down.

Reply #23301 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Is that you cheeze? I thought you ALWAYS posted under your name? Maybe not?

Reply #23302 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

well picked up on doctor.

Reply #23303 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

You did say it was for controversial posts. The fact that Pt Adel needs a bit of work isn't that controversial. Those dead spots in the floor were funny for a while, but when we lost a couple of u/10 kids in the gaps, parents started complaining.

Reply #23307 | Report this post

jim  
Years ago

thats tight iverson finally has another all star on his team but they still need a better power forward and a better center hopefully they use the jamal mashburn contract and spend the money on zydrunas or ben wallace if they do that then i say the sixers make the finals and win i guess we will have to just wait and see.

Reply #29882 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Won't be Ben Wallace, he's already stated that he will ink a contract with the Pistons at the end of his current contract as they were the only team that believed in him when he was used in the Hill trade.

Looking now, I wonder who got the better of that trade... Pistons by a mile!!!!!!!!

Can you believe that his contract when signed all that time ago was for $30 million over 6 years.......Bargin........

Here's an interesting stat, Ben Wallace is able to bench press 460 pounds (210 kg) and curl 200 pounds (90 kg) for several repetitions.

Reply #29884 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Reply #34915 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

The Kings are going to be better with Peja. He is the best shooter in the legue. but It will be bad if Peja signs with some other team when he is Free Agent.

Reply #34916 | Report this post

jim  
Years ago

hey money is money if he's intrested he'll leave thats what most good players do

Reply #36480 | Report this post

Ivo A3  
Years ago

the sixers so far have not shown much improvement besides the fact that they made the playoffs after missing it for one year, but who knows its only been one year, and webber is still getting use to iverson. Good thing sixers got a new coach... Jim o'brien hated webber, and everyone knows it.. lets go maurice cheeks and the sixers!!! next year is the year
!!

Reply #36481 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754