Flinders80
Years ago

Sixers: Local U23 Options

Why is it so hard to find a U23 player and a better back up centre.

U23 Adelaide Players (Not in any order)
Rhys Elliott (North)
Claybrin McMath (Sturt) - Granted he is headed to college
Tom Daly (Sturt)
Jan Warbout (Sturt)
Nathan Spehr (Sturt) U18 Players so no critising please
Corey Maynard (Sturt)
Kurtis Phillips (West)
Chris Molitor (West)
Jacob Templeton (Centrals)
David Humphries (Centrals)
Michael Florence (Southern)
Jack Jennings (South)
Jeremy Read (South)
Brad Goodchild (Woodville)
Harry Harvey (Forestville)
Ben Howell (Norwood)

Just to name a few. Granted the talent of some of these names is not NBL material. Add to the list of SA U23 players. Being 1988 and above

Topic #20555 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think Corey Maynard is heading to college too. Not 100% sure though.

I think the thing that needs to be remembered when looking at U23 players is you want someone that will be able to have a prolonged career after they break the 23 mark.

Reply #244506 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Bizzy I agree with you and there are some players on that list that might be able to, given the chance to. My opinion is that:

Warbout - Back up Holmes, Ballinger, Burston
Maynard - Back up Gilchrist
Florence - Back Up SG import
Molitor - Back Up Hill/holmes at SF

Reply #244509 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Flinders, that's great, but when it comes to the centres, take out a SF/PF (?) like Molitor, the going-to-college guys and what's left? Are they going to defend Anstey and Rogers any better than Cooper?

We don't need backup for Hill and Holmes - already have 2-4 covers and (if Groves is on the cards), 1 as well.

Reply #244510 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Isaac not saying Cooper was a bad choice. I think he was the best choice to play that spot. Just saying that there is still plenty of players on that list that could be given a shot. Understand what you are saying about the list that is left after guys going to College

Ben Purser from WA would be a good choice to if he is not on a college list.

Reply #244513 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I guess another option would be (under the current rules) that each team is looking for a player for that year and maybe beyond. I agree with most that this might not be the best option for a U23 rule

Reply #244515 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

Warbout isn't ready for a spot, he hardly gets court time in ABA.

Maynard, Molitor and McMath would be the best bets out of the young guys.

McMath is going to college so that might not be possible.

Maynard is thinking about college although i think if we were to sign him up, he would consider staying.

Is it true that you can not go to college if you have played professional basketball? (If you call NBL professionl)

Reply #244518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

none of those are up to nbl standard i wouldnt have thought

Reply #244520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If not the U23 spot, there will be development spots going I guess? If there's an age restriction on that, Burdon might be pushed out and that'd be a shame - I think he is a bit of an uncanny talent to overcome size/build issues.

Reply #244522 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Just a guess Flinders80, but does your name feature in your U23 list?

Reply #244537 | Report this post

hooper  
Years ago

why would u think that esp?

Reply #244539 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

No sorry, but I have seen these guys play a lot and believe that some are up for the challenge.

Reply #244562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some, like who?

Reply #244567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take molitor he is a good player inside and out he just needs to toughen up

Reply #244583 | Report this post

Raytri  
Years ago

If they're supposed to be looking for a U23 player, what's the rationale for putting in Cooper. I don't get it? I thought they HAD to have an U23.

Reply #244589 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Raytri - they do have to have an U23 player, AFAIK they were trying to get an U23 big guy, but as that didn't work out they have resigned Cooper and will look for a different U23.

Reply #244597 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Raytri, what U23 centres are there?

Boti has been suggesting that they will get an U23 back-up PG who won't play many minutes if Groves is the second import.

Reply #244599 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Maynard or Harvey.

Just curious is Adam Doyle anywhere near the mark?

Reply #244616 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

I would have thought Doyle would be quicker then Harvey and Maynard and probably be the only one of those three that could keep up with the pace of the NBL at this stage but I wouldn't have thought his body would be anywhere near strong enough to cut it at that level.

Reply #244641 | Report this post

NBLer  
Years ago

lol maynard and harvey both have ridiclously quick first steps, and theres no way doyle could cut it at NBL level.. especially with his body

Reply #244647 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Perhaps Kurt Tippet could do it when the crows finish up.

Reply #244720 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Great call. Good off-season training.

Reply #244789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hope you dont mean harri harvey? seriously you guys musn't of seen this guy play before! No way is he NBL standard

Reply #244992 | Report this post

NUD  
Years ago

harvey has been playing solid basketball in a top 3 aba team and went for 28 or something the other week? i wouldnt say he is nbl ready but definitely an option for a development player. maynard has also been impressive this season, will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years.

Reply #245035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you think harri is a posibility then you need to throw others like Rhys Elliott in the mix. Looking at stats seems to get good minutes at North and performs well

Reply #245096 | Report this post

Seriously??  
Years ago

Jack Jennings can't crack an ABL team how is he a prospect?

Reply #245132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754