Isaac
Years ago

Gilchrist signing imminent?

From https://twitter.com/jgovereasy:

Say hello to the newest member of the Adelaide 36ers! I'm very excited & I will work as hard as possible. God is great!
Also, thought this was amusing:
watching australilan footie for the first time. Total chaos. lol.. but interesting

Topic #20556 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Since Isaac and I posted at the same time, I will just add my post to this thread.

John Gilchrist has just tweeted that he is the newest member of the Sixers.

Below is his tweet:

Say hello to the newest member of the Adelaide 36ers! I'm very excited & I will work as hard as possible. God is great!

From all accounts he is a terrific defender and has super long arms and is really strong.

Appears to be a good signing as the PG position has been a trouble spot for us since Mee left.

Reply #244511 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Not there anymore.

Reply #244529 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

yeah, i noticed that too. It disappeared on me. Today was the end of his two week trial, so obviously he asked the coaches at the end of the day, do i go home to Virginia Beach now? and they obviously said no, go discuss the contract or whatever they then do....

but he is not officially a 36er until his signed contract is accepted at the head office of Basketball Australia, to confirm no salary violation or that we are exceeding the points limit, which means it probably cannot be announced until formally processed next week.

Anyway guys we got the early leak !

Reply #244533 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Good News... but, perhaps we should be looking at that "God" that he mentions in his tweet... If Gilly thinks he's great... maybe we should be signing him!

:)

Reply #244534 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

He's excited and appreciative of playing here- that in itself has me excited so can't wait too see him out on the court!
Sound like a great guy.

Reply #244535 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Yeah he does sound like a good guy, all the reports sound very positive. I'm particularly happy to hear that he plays with intensity.... something we have lacked for a long time.

Reply #244536 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Have any posters seen him train.
Any feedback guys

Reply #244544 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He's trained well and unlike one previous guy actually turned up to sessions!

From what I have heard, he's a team player, not an opera singer (me me me me me me me...)

Reply #244548 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Here I am again.. I posted on Schenscher training with the sixers.. It was the Mat Burston spectacular that day.. Burston top scored and most rebounds at both ends, but Gilchrist was a good playmaker.
Lets think - He's perhaps like Aaron Bruce with a bit extra, maybe a way to describe what I saw.

Reply #244550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide with a jump shot

Reply #244553 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I am definetly gonna need to pop by on a training next week.

Reply #244556 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Are trainings still open to the public?

Reply #244557 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'He's perhaps like Aaron Bruce with a bit extra, maybe a way to describe what I saw.'

If he is only 'a bit better than Bruce' maybe they should have focused on getting Bruce back - and go after an import who can bring 'much extra' to the table, rather than pay an import who will only give you a 'bit extra' than an Australian player. Hope that made sense and hope he brings much extra than Bruce.

Reply #244566 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

great news, my GIlchist Maryland jersey is already on its way from the US.

Reply #244568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, before that gets everyone a little too excited, remember that's one person's attempt to describe a player.

Reply #244575 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

A bit extra to me would indicate someone that can play solid defence and is consistent which is a big step up on Bruce to run the point guard position.

Its going to be a good season :)

Reply #244577 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

lay off bruce it was his first year, towards the end of the season i think he was better and i'm sure the change in shot clock did not help him initially.

Reply #244584 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, I was joking around ;), silly sense of humour most people say, but I am genuinely excited about Gilchrist and I am looking forward to see what he can bring to the team.

Josh, I do rate Bruce highly.

Reply #244601 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

hehehe "footie".

Someone should take him to the Showdown.

Great news.

Reply #244613 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isn't the fact that Bruce hasn't been signed to do with what he has planned for the next year rather than not wanting him on the roster? His responsibility last season was greater than what he was capable of (due to age and experience) but I can't see Ninnis letting go of a young Australian with potential unless Bruce did not want to come back.

Reply #244632 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure that'd be the case. As you said, the demands last season were probably a touch beyond him, so they needed an upgrade at starting PG. That means Bruton (unavailable), Gibson (signed elsewhere) or an import. Then, Bruce's asking price is too much for a back-up PG who might get 15 MPG at most.

Reply #244633 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

off day today. My first event Port Adelaide vs Adelaide '"the Showdown Game" later 50,000 ppl at a footy game I cant wait!!!.

TWITTER WHORE.

Reply #244639 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Good News... but, perhaps we should be looking at that "God" that he mentions in his tweet... If Gilly thinks he's great... maybe we should be signing him!"

ME, God retired in 1998, and, following a comeback distinctly lacking in wizardry a few years later, wisely decided to go into management. We need to look to the future - God is not walking through that door!

Reply #244640 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Lol @ Twitter whore.
Isaac thanks for the email you sent about it some time ago- I created an account and well, it's just not doing it for me!

Reply #244651 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

So he did go to the Showdown!

Would've been a good laugh seeing a team win by 70pts.

Reply #244791 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Any lift in intensity might make the games more rewarding to watch.

Reply #244820 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

How imminent? Is the "trial" over yet?

Reply #244862 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:45 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754