Bizzy
Years ago

Boomers South America Team Announced

The Boomers team for their 6 game tour of South America has been announced.

David BARLOW / Melbourne Tigers
Aron BAYNES / Washington State University (USA)
Matt BURSTON / Adelaide 36ers
Jason CADEE / AIS
Peter CRAWFORD / Townsville Crocodiles
Matthew DELLAVEDOVA / AIS
Oscar FORMAN / New Zealand Breakers (NZ)
Adam GIBSON / Gold Coast Blaze
Joe INGLES / South Dragons
Nathan JAWAI / Dallas Mavericks (USA)
Luke NEVILL / University of Utah
Stephen WEIGH / Perth Wildcats

Not a bad looking side IMO, good to see 5 uncapped players selected.

Who out of this team is a real chance at cracking the squad for the Worlds and then London?

Topic #20563 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee would have to be a lucky inclusion IMO. Schensch misses out on another team, not a good month for the big fella.

Reply #244676 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

Barlow - No brainer (especially after playing in Europe).

Jose - Played great at the Olympics.

Nevill - Might have a chance since Bogut and Schensh are a bit of a worry injury-wise... And he's a big not unskilled boy.

All depends on injuries i guess and whether Matt is availible / Wortho hasn't burnt his bridges...

Reply #244680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee didnt even start for the Emus team.

Barlow shouldnt be going if he is unavailable for the NZ series, thats the whole point of having prepartion games.

Reply #244682 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

My thoughts exactly Cadee didn't start for the Emus.

Reply #244683 | Report this post

Birks  
Years ago

luke's back issue strikes again.

Reply #244691 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

New coach, new ideas, new expectations. Good to see him putting his own stamp on things. Surprised though that there's no hype about an Adelaide player being selected. Congrats to Matt Burston - he must be on cloud nine at the minute.

Reply #244701 | Report this post

Woody15  
Years ago

fantastic to see young players getting a run.

Id have to say Delly is in with a chance.

Must remember that your best 5 don't always necessarily start.

Reply #244703 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Motum and Harvey were picked but will miss through injury. Burston got called in to replace Motum, I think.

They flew out this morning.

Reply #244705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lots of soft tissue injuries at the camp not a good sign. do they have new fitness guys?

Reply #244723 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is bad news for us kiwi fans. Baynes has decided his alliegance. Are the games FIBA sanctioned? Because from memory he only loses his eligibility to play for New Zealand if he plays in a FIBA Sanctioned game? Anyone confirm this?
Anyway, very bad news for the Tall Blacks. Im sure they would have loved to secure the services of Baynes. Personally I think that that is Nenad Vucinic's fault. If he wanted to lock Baynes into the NZ program why didn't he just chose him for their European tour..After all Baynes was at the Tall Blacks camp just a few weeks earlier. Once again, they make poor decisions do Basketball NZ. I reckon we will be spitting chips, when Baynes is killing us down low, in a few years time. We have good bigs coming through, like Loe, Pledger etc. but Baynes is head and shoulders above them!

Reply #244779 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think this tour has decided his allegiance - surely they'd be FIBA-sanctioned games. There have been a couple of articles today with comments suggesting that his priority was to make an Australian team. NZ were always up against it as he considers himself Australian, just happened to have been born in NZ.

BTW, Macdub and Mystro (and others), I've added a new "NZ" category to collect and filter NZ-related hoops talk from now on - hope it's helpful.

Reply #244781 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754