Star18
Years ago

Gems in Bangkok

gems look like they are going great. some fantastic performances. Maybe headed for a medal.

Topic #20564 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

They shouod def. get a medal...interestingly the USA fell in a game to Spain. Very big upset that was...

Reply #244709 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC - probably not a great upset. Spain were the euro champs. The us always start slowly at these events and then tune up as they move along.

Reply #244712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO oh so no surprise I think it was to the US and they had a 15 game streak on the go.

Reply #244715 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, I don't think its a great surprise - a very good European team defeating a US team in the opening round of the tournament does not surprise me much at all. Now if the same result happened in a quarter final or semi final then that would be something of a surprise.

The europeans arrive at these tournaments with a lot of basketball under their belt as a team. Often the US team is not even the team that competed in the american qualifying tournament.

The US teams do not invest in preparation etc. the way the European teams do - and the europeans have lots of great competition right on their door step.

Reply #244734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO really the last loss they had was in the semis in 2003 I think but good to see you have the inside runnning on international bball preparation!

Reply #244744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gems have done a great job to finish top of their pool and will probably play Canada in the cross over game!

Well done to everyone involved as they are all contributing and doing a great job!

Reply #244979 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

HO is correct, the US had a camp about three weeks out that decided the team for these worlds..The Europeans and us have been at it for months.

Unfortunately when it mattered for the Gems it fell over..

Reply #245341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754