Isaac
Years ago

Brown: Time for a Boomers medal

Boomers coach Brett Brown thinks the time is right for a serious Boomers shot at an Olympic medal:

Australian centre David Andersen will fill the big shoes of superstar Yao Ming at the Houston Rockets next season, joining Andrew Bogut and Nate Jawai in the world's premier league.

Add veteran Boomers skipper Matt Nielsen to the mix and Brown says Australia have a frontline capable of taking on the world's best. "That's why I've set a goal to win Australia's first (Olympic) medal, I think this generation gives me the confidence to say that," Brown said.

"I think if you can catch generations at the right time then you have a chance. I see Bogut, Andersen, Nielsen being at the right time. I appreciate that it's a significant statement to make, but that's why we're all here - to win Australia's first medal. It's an extremely competitive world that annually gets better and that goal gets increasingly more difficult, but to go about this job in any other way would be soft."

Full article: Boomers owe Australia a medal

Topic #20569 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Our only main concern is in our guard rotation. We have Newley, but Mills in injured and who knows where he will be playing. We really need CJ Bruton to play at the World's for us to be up there and for him to contribute big time. I honestly believe the Aussie guard behind these 3 names are thin at best when compared to the talent on offer for USA, Spain, Argentina, etc, etc.
Ingles and Barlow can spot-check at the 2, but really both are 3 men. Who else do we have that can really make an impact internationally at the 1 and 2 spots?

Reply #244743 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: I agree that our front-line is shaping as arguably the best Australia has ever offered. With guys such as Bogut, Andersen, Jawai, Nielson, plus with guys such as AJ Ogilvy (Vanderbilt) like to be drafted to the NBA next year, Aleks Maric, Aron Baynes and nto forgetting Luke Schenscher - we have serious big-man depth at our disposal for at least the next 10-15 years.
Let's hope our guards can provide the necessary support.

Reply #244745 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

the lack of guard strength is probably why delladova and jordan page are getting opportunities now.

Reply #244746 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Harvey might be useful at the 2, but slim pickings after that. Should kidnap Penney. Or get an import PG or SG to naturalise, JR Holden-style.

Reply #244747 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

When are the worlds?

Reply #244752 | Report this post

pi  
Years ago

Stephen Markovic, where is he? he is a good PG for international games

Reply #244755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia with penny would be scary!

Reply #244761 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

the Ozzy team looks good on paper

Reply #244762 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LC, provided Mills develops his PG skills and Newley becomes consistent at intl level, I think we will be okay at those starting positions. I agree that depth is pretty thin on the ground after that, but at least we have starters at the one and two.

Of bigger concern is the three spot. We have absolutely no-one with enough athleticism to contain world class wing players. Imagine where we'd be if Sam Mackinnon was 4 years younger! He was awesome for a couple of tournaments around 4-5 years ago when our team was basically in transition.

In the absence of a good athlete for the SF position, I think we need them to be a tall, reliable three point shooter. To me, Ingles is physically the most likely candidate, but we desperately need him to improve his shot and all around consistency in time for the worlds.

Its going to be critical that Jawai, Mills, Newley and Ingles all end up in spots where they are playing good minutes over the next year, and working on their weaknesses and inconsistency. If those guys can do that and Bogut and Andersen are healthy, we do have an outside chance at medal. Clearly a lot of IF's there for Brown to work through!

Reply #244763 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Beantown - Agree on Newley and Mills - the potential is there for them to be very good starters, and then it is thin thereafter.
A younger and fit Sam Mackinnon would be a bonus for Coach Brown and the Boomers right now!
Barlow is putting himself in the right position by heading to Europe. Let's hope he takes his game up another level over there as he will prove crucial at the 3 spot. and we need Ingles to get a gig in Europe. If he comes back to play in Oz then his game will struggle to get to anothjer level. Both fit the bill of a tall reliable 3 point shooter (Barlow is more reliable).
Jawai is stuck in what is increasingly looking like a bad position in Dallas. Dallas just signed Drew Gooden. Let's hope he makes the most of any minutes he may get early on or it could be benchwarming all season and that would not be good for him or the Boomers.
Mills' position in the NBA this season is just about over unless he gets traded. He now also has to contend with Andre Miller who got picked up by the Blazers. I can't see him getting a contract now and with his broken foot. I hope he pops up in Europe on a big team - the NBA D-League would be terrible for him IMO.
Andersen getting an NBA gig finally is great news and the situation he finds himself in at the Rockets is just about perfect.

I hope guys like Nate Tomlinson (Colorado), Delly (Saint Marys) and Page (Saint Marys) come on quickly - we need them!

Reply #244764 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about Worthington as that SF/PF guy that can contain the stronger opponent SFs?

Reply #244767 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good call Isaac - Wortho is solid at the 3 spot.

Reply #244768 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

Also as much as people hate him he is a tough nut.

Reply #244771 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

good team,obviously blooding the one spot.

a sam mack or a simon dwight in there prime would put us in the medal rounds !!

Reply #244772 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

While I love that Brown is aiming high, I think that every time we approach a WC's or Olympic games we tend to get a little carried away with our prospects.

While our general level of talent is good (particularly at the baseline), we lack any real standout stars. Bogut, Anderson and Neilson are solid international players, but not Lauren Jackson 'best player in the world' types. The rest of the Aussie contingent are stars in the NBL. But that probably says enough.

The problem is the general level of talent in any of the top 15 nations is 'good', and for the top 5 is very good to exceptional. Having 3 or 4 players that have had some success at international level is not enough to crack it.

I think we need to concede that absent a miracle (which I concede can happen in tournament play), a medal at international level will remain just out of our reach. Embedding ourselves consistently in the top 8 is I think a more realistic ambition.

Reply #244773 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Does anyone rate Gibson as a strong backup PG?

I would have thought him the obvious candidate. If nothing else, he'll bring serious D to the backcourt.

Reply #244774 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac, despite his tendency to shoot his mouth off, I like Wortho for his competitive spirit and think he has a good amount of ability. When it comes to the three spot though, after watching him at the Olympics last year, it is clear to me that he is too slow to cope with high quality SFs, and not really strong enough at times either. He'd need to do a good job of knocking down threes to justify much court time I reckon. If we're looking at guys like him, we might as well go the whole way and play Nielsen at SF - I don't think he is much slower than Wortho.

Barlow seems to be a better player than Ingles at the moment, but not by much, and he just seems a little too slow and clumsy to be a good option for the long term. So I still see Ingles as the ideal guy physique-wise. Just don't know if he has the mindset to really take advantage of those gifts.

Agree on the problems guys like Jawai and Mills face. I hope the Blazers will allow Mills to find a good Euro team where he can develop for the coming season. The one small blessing from the Boomers perspective is that Mills is more likely to be fresh and keen to play for the national team than if he was fighting it out for an NBA contract next year! Jawai seems a long way from being ready to compete for playing time in the NBA, so I hope he is sent to the D-League to develop this entire season, rather than sitting on the bench doing nothing.

Reply #244776 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would the D-League be terrible for Mills? While he might not learn much, I think he could put up good enough numbers to get attention.

Reply #244780 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think we have an excellent squad. If we can get the players who played so well v Russia and Lithuania to play together during a long, strong preparation next year, we would go into the WC's as one of the top six teams.

C: Bogut, Jawai, Schenscher, Nevill
PF: Nielsen, Ballinger, Andersen, Ogilvy
SF: Barlow, Worthington, Rush, Wagstaff
SG: Newley, Ingles, Harvey, Weigh
PG: Bruton, Mills, Gibson

For my team, I would pick the first two in each position plus Gibson and either Schenscher or Andersen. None of the Emus from this year will be ready for men’s international by next year.

Barlow going to Europe is good for him experiencing another style, but going to a league that is not as good as the NBL is not ideal. Still, the quartet of he, Newley, Worthington and Ingles should give us good, height, length, athleticism and shooting for years to come.

Reply #244784 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My biggest concern is such an inexperienced coach.

Reply #244785 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Paul,
I hope you mean inexperienced coach in terms of International competition, and even then he still has some experience on the 2000 Olympics and they seem to be playing a quite a bit of friendly games. More than normal for a non WC or Olympic year

Reply #244787 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac, D-League may not be terrible for Mills. I have to say I have not seen enough of either that or Euro leagues to have a valid opinion on which would be better for development. You hear lots of people making negative comments about the D-League, but I've never heard someone give a reasoned explanation for why that is.

Since Mills was drafted second round and has not been offered a contract due to his injury, do the Blazers still have any hold over his rights? Anyone know?

If not, I guess the one positive is that he and his agent can try to find the perfect team for him to showcase his skills rather than have to accept going to Portland's D-League affiliate.

Reply #244793 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Beantown, the team that drafts any player holds that players rights, unless those rights are traded to another team.

Reply #244795 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

So Portland has "ownership" over Mills unless they trade him - just like Atlanta did with Andersen...

Reply #244796 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spot on hustle on Mills.
I think the D-League would be terrible for Mills because of the fact it is an "I" league - and what I mean by that is that evry player in that comp is just looking out for themselves and trying to get that elusive NBA contract.
For his development and playing sake, he would be better of in Europe andhone his play making skills there.

Reply #244806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont discount Dellavadova

Reply #244814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC is spot on. The D League is a joke. It's a glorified Summer League, everyone has stars in their eyes and out to get theirs. The standard is poor (below NBL standard), the teams are basically feeder teams for their respective NBA affiliates and the pay is terrible. With the peanuts on offer you get guys who are genuine NBA 10 day contract types and the rest are monkeys.

The serious basketball is played in Europe and hopefully when Mills gets healthy and finds someone to give him better advice than he's been getting, he'll go over to Europe and work on his game.

Reply #244816 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

D-League is the best spot to be to get an NBA contract, so it would be excellent for Mills in that regard.

However, it wont help him develop international point guard skills one bit, so from a Boomers point of view Mills would be best off at a Euroleague club or in Spain, Italy, Australia, Greece etc.

Not sure that his game will be that successful in a slow down Euro context at his young age though, but would still be a good learning experience.

Reply #244821 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

I agree Paul. My team at the moment would be:

C: Bogut, Anderson, (Schenscher or Ogilvy)
PF: Nielson, Jawai
SF: Barlow, Worthington
SG: Newley, Ingles
PG: Bruton, Mills, Gibson

My only worries is Ingles (soft and isnt progressing the way he should) and Anderson (very average at olympics.)

Reply #244829 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

I'd also like to see what Matthew Knight could do on the international scene. Could be good going on the season he had in the NBL.

Reply #244830 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The way Burston has been training here - pretty impressive. In better training form than Ballinger or Schenscher. You'd think he carried that to Boomers training and impressed there also.

Reply #244832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754