Isaac
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers sign John Gilchrist

The Adelaide 36ers are very pleased to announce the appointment of American Point Guard, John Gilchrist. After a two week trial period the Adelaide 36ers have agreed to terms with the exciting import.

Coach Scott Ninnis said "John provides us with all the qualities we were looking for and he will be an integral part of our team the coming season. He will thrive in an up tempo environment and his ability to get the ball to his teammates where they are most effective was evident from day one of his trial. He is a tenacious defender and a super competitor. We are very happy to have him as a 36er for the 2009/10 season."

Gilchrist said of his appointment "I am very excited to be a 36er, the club has an awesome history and I have heard about the great crowds we get at the Dome. I can't wait to get on the court and help bring more success to the club."

36ers membership info available here

Topic #20582 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Awesome.

Burston/Cooper
Ballinger/Holmes
Grizzard/Holmes/Hill
Ng/Hill/Herbert
Gilchrist/Ng/Maynard

Now for Grizzard and an U23er and we're done.

Reply #244906 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Grizzard?

Yay, let's get the guy who does nothing but sucked last season.

inbe4hehaslateseasonexcuse.

Reply #244909 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I know nothing about this guy and I already like him.
I hope that attitude stays for the whole season- the League could certainly do with it.

Reply #244911 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

from people who have seen him he sound good so that's pleasing.

Reply #244913 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I listened to Brett Mahers radio internet show today, and when Coach Scotty was interviewed, he talked at length about Gilchrist. He likes his defensive pressure on the ball, and his size, among a million other things.

Reply #244916 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Grizzard is a mystery to me - Looks like a million dollars. Was popular with our other players. But never performed the way you'd think he should.

Reply #244917 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

WRT Grizz, it's always hard to fit into a team half way through season.

If Gilly has got good D, that's enough for me

Reply #244921 | Report this post

amped  
Years ago

how old is maynard?

Reply #244922 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

I thought it was Groves instead of Grizzard, or has that changed. Would definately prefer Grizz

Reply #244924 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

justin, from what I've heard Cortez is more likely but like you I'd prefer Grizz.

amped, Maynard is 17 or 18.

Are Burdon and/or Hoban still eligible for a DP spot?

Reply #244928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I actually wouldn't resign Grizzard. Met him out after the Maher lunch and thought he was a great guy, but don't think he did that well as a player with the 36ers. Even the couple of flurries of scoring he had (from memory) were both in garbage time.

I think his main advantage over a typical SG is that he'd provide a stronger defensive option up against Perth's White, Pero, Mackinnon, etc - but (1) I can't remember him playing a tonne of tough committed defense last season and (2) the other SFs in the league aren't overly strong: Thomas, Grabau, Saville, Boodnikoff, Tovey, Williamson, etc.

Reply #244930 | Report this post

ab  
Years ago

proving urself in 7 games would be tough on anyone. especially after having a big game the week u get axed by ur former club. be tough to figure that out and to re-allign urself mentally. i think he deserves another shot.

Reply #244931 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As I said in another thread, apparently Grizzard has a good deal in Japan and so doesn't appear to be an option.

Reply #244933 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Would prefer somebody of Grizzard's size compared to Groves.

I'd still love a swingman who could pinch hit at the point. Where's Rob Rose Mk 2 when you need him ?

Reply #244943 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Grizzard is not a quality NBL import for mine. He is an ok one-on-one, pound the ball scorer with an average jumpshot. He is nearly 6'10 but is not particularly effective in the post. Good in garbage time when the team defence drops off.

Isaac is spot on, he would give an athletic defensive option, but I think his off the ball defence is more his strength than his ability to contain one-on-one.

I think Cortez Groves will surprise everyone who is judging him on last year’s stats. He is exactly what Adelaide needs alongside Gilchrist to run in the open court and find open jumpshots for Ballinger, Ng and Herbert in the half court.

Reply #244944 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From memory, how do people rate Groves as a defender?

Reply #244947 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Groves and Maynard ..then ... it's done.

Reply #244948 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Cant remember what Groves' passing ability is like. Can he create for others ?

Reply #244960 | Report this post

Budie  
Years ago

Good work Scottie and co. now up to Ben Fitz and co to ride the wave of positive publicity and start looking at T shirts and other merchandise for first home game. Average fan would spend $20-$30 on tshirt with 36ers logo on the front and look at player name and number on the back.
Welcome aboard John Gilchrist

Reply #244962 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Re signing of Gilchrist the only negative could be from posters who havent seen him trial is there hasnt been a great lot of excitement before release today about his 2 weeks here . But if he can defend and is as good as being distributing the ball effeciently in a up -tempo as Scotty saying then a good appointment and look fwd to seeing play.
Not recovered from Coops signing yet so trying to get ready for Groves signing but still would have preferred a Grizz type plyr as better fit.
With u- 23 dont pick the best get a kid with a lot of potential that will grow into NBL plyr not another Williams- Kerston -Scalzi etc etc

Reply #244965 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

wow Wiki is fast...

Reply #244991 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Just talking to a patient of Dr Chek Ng that saw Darren there on cruthces - out of action for a few weeks - knee.

Reply #244994 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

You sure that wasn't Marcus Ng, not Darren?

Reply #244999 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - not sure then , just what was told to me this morning (that it was Darren) ?
Unless my friend got them mixed up ?

Reply #245007 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Why isn't Scotty looking for a new import for the second spot, instead of recycling another leftover?

Reply #245011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why do you think Spinner?

There is no defined rule that new is better or worse or that recycling an import is better or worse. I cannot understand the fascination outside of wanting something that might be exciting (because it's easy to ignore the fact that they might be disappointing and whinge about that later). Dave Thomas, Rosell Ellis, Darnell Mee, Kevin Brooks, Ebi Ere - they're all 'recycled leftovers'. Joe Shipp, the lazy guy from the Hawks the other year, Mark Tyndale, etc - all "new imports".

If he recycles a player, quite clearly Ninnis thinks that, for the budget they have, that player is the best balance of risk/potential/needs they can get.

If it's Groves, it's a guy who's put up good numbers before, will have a point to prove, etc.

Reply #245016 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Adam Ballinger also is a recycled import. Perhaps Spinner we shouldn't have gotten him and instead gone with a new exciting import? Robert Rose is a another one.

Besides the risk factor of getting a new import is the fact they only have limited funds.

Reply #245019 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Charles Thomas, Mike Chappell, Rod Grizzard, Nick Horvath were also recycled....and failed.

Chris Williams, Kevin Freeman, Jayson Wells and Kevin Brooks etc were all new to the NBL.

The argument goes both ways Isaac.

Reply #245038 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Let's hope he doesn't come with the Hodge "baggage".... Anyway from a negative to a positive, should be a good contributor from all accounts.

Let's also hope we sign Eze Erik as DP, he is good coming in as a pinch hitter for some quick points and plays a good defensive game! He is one (if I was Scotty) to persevere with for another season.....

Reply #245041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Elite - not sure if you're trying to endorse my point or argue against it but that's what I was saying: there is not necessarily a right or wrong path when it comes to choosing new or recycling.

Reply #245044 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

A bit of both really.

I just think the excitement of a new face appeals more to fans.

Reply #245057 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The recycled imports are those we are familiar with. If there was confidence in them then there wouldn't be the desire to get new imports.

Reply #245066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Elite, sure, but that only lasts until they don't perform quite enough and everyone calls for their head. This year, we have a naturalised import, a new face, and (if Groves is the other import) someone we've seen before in the league - all bases are covered! ;)

Reply #245074 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

The reason I raised the issue was because there appears to be too much doubt over the particular recycled players being considered. Neither Grizzard or Groves have shown a lot of consistent form in recent times.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons -we had Farley as a new exciting import and as a recycled version. Which one of those two was better? :-)

Reply #245077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Too much doubt"?

From a few people, most of whom barely saw Groves (as an example) play all that much last season as he suited in a team that shared the load across a deep and even squad before running into a rough screen and was replaced so a new guy could qualify for the finals.

Up against someone who was a coach with the Dragons, along with two ex-Dragons players and those that know what budget the 36ers have to work with, and what calibre of unknown player you might get for that amount. If they sign another new guy, maybe he turns out great or maybe he's rubbish. If they sign a Groves or similar, maybe he's great or maybe he struggles. At this point though, you'll have to excuse me for giving this crew the benefit of the doubt over the skeptics.

I hope you're not serious with that Farley question?!

Reply #245079 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great point Isaac.

Ninnis, Burston and Herbert (and Ballinger at Wollongong?) know what theyre getting with Groves, so if they select him it is an endorsement of him as a person and player.

Reply #245097 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754