skip
Years ago

NH - NRL Star Karmichael Hunt set to switch to AFL

I think this is a massive news story. Broncos star player Karmichael Hunt is set to announce this morning that he is switching to AFL and set to sign with the Gold Coast. He recently knocked back a 3 year 1.2 million deal with the Broncos. He has also represent Australia, played State of Origin and won the NRL Rookie of the year a few years back.

What a massive risk! I certainly hope it pays off.
I know guys like Brogan have switched to AFL, but he was never gonna be making millions out of basketball.

http://linky.com.au/vbak5

Topic #20586 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Karmichael Hunt is bloody good, but don't say his name quickly after a few beers on a Saturday night

Reply #244954 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Of topic a bit, but has there ever been an Australian equivalent of Deion Sanders/Danny Ainge, someone who played more than one professional sport at the highest level concurrently?

Reply #244956 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Try again..

Of topic a bit, but has there ever been an Australian equivalent of Deion 5anders/Danny Ainge, someone who played more than one professional sport at the highest level concurrently?

Reply #244957 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm sure there have been guys that played AFL/VFL and cricket for Australia or their State.

Reply #244967 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Max Walker almost made it. He played for Melbourne in the VFL up to 1972, while playing State Cricket for Victoria.
He made his Test debut for Australia during the 1972/73.
Might have been some before that, like Keith Miller who played Test cricket & VFL Football, but doubtfull that either sport was considered "professional" back then, however they would definitely be considered the 'elite' competitions available to play.

Reply #244968 | Report this post

darwin in nbl  
Years ago

heaps that did league and union, but thats no big deal. afl and cricket wouldn't be possible now like it used to be. If anyone from league ranks could make it, it would be a winger or outside centre, the forwards are too bulky and slow and lack ball skills and the backs (6 n 7s) are too short generally and not particularly fast. All hunt needs to learn is how to kick slightly better than he already does and take a mark above his head, otherwise he has the rest of the physical tools required. Sheedy offered greg inglis a 40K a year rookie contract about 4-5 yrs ago, but obviously he was never going to take it, he's another one of those guys that would be good in any sport.

Reply #244970 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

That is a big surprise as the talk was that he was headign to Japan to play Union.

IMO their would be some League & Union guys that would flat out domintate the AFL game. Imagine trying to tackle Loti Tuquri or Greg Inglis. Only issue would be the increased fitness base required, but you'd play them in ther forward line.

Reply #244972 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Ben Graham played AFL and NFL same with Sav Rocca.

Warney also played VFL Ressies for St Kilda.

I guess you could put Mundene in there for boxing and NRL.

Reply #244973 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Skin - But not at the same time.

Reply #244974 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

Simon O'Donnell?? Aust cricket and VFL. Not sure if same time though.

Reply #244976 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I recall Craig Bradley playing both cricket and football but only got to State level in cricket I believe (not that I'm knocking that)

Reply #244985 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jeff Wilson springs to mind as a New Zealander, who played rugby for the All Blacks as well as cricket for the Black Caps..That is an amazing feat! Played 71 tests for the AB's and scored 44 tries..as for he cricketing abilities..we wont go there :P

Reply #244987 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

There was a bloke I recall that use to play SANFL in the arvo and go back and play for, I think, South ABA at night. Someone here might know the name, I only heard the story

Reply #244988 | Report this post

Dean Brogan won a title in the NBL & AFL

Michael Parsons

Reply #245009 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The most disappointing part is that just before the official announcement, he sent Bruno Cullen the Broncos boss a TEXT MESSAGE to say he was leaving.
I support him wanting to do other things in his career but that definately could've been handled more professionally and with a bit of respect- Brisbane has bent over backwards to try and keep him happy.
To say Cullen was gutted would be an understatement.

Reply #245012 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Can't wait for Steven Rowe or KG to call one of his games and accidentally drop the H and add a K to his surname

Reply #245023 | Report this post

darwin in nbl  
Years ago

Gotta love the commentator calls that don't quite go as planned: Johnson....... has his hands full with Dick.

Reply #245036 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What happened to Matt Illman's switch to AFL? 2002 Championship with the Sixers if I remember correctly and then tried to emulate Brogan?

Reply #245046 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Martin Pyke from the Swanns was playing Union in France last yr & played for Canada at the World Cup. Apparantly a mate who lives in Melbourne called him up & said you should try AFL as he didn't like France so he send a tape to the Swans & now he is the back up ruckman in his first season in the game.

This is a guy who wasn't even a star in Union so someone like Hunt should do well given his skills, physical attributes & age.

There was mention that Aker was looking at coming to League & Andrew Symonds at one stage had a chat with Wayne Bennett before his cricket career took of about switching to league

Reply #245059 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

One guy I always thought would be good at Rugby with a bit more beef = Marty Mattner.

This is massive news for the Gold Coast! Hunt's only 22 and was a good footballer as a teenager so apparently already has pretty good skills. He's 186cm, 92kg and I've heard his strengths are his speed, evasiveness, tackling and contested marking. Weakness is his aerobic capacity, could become anything - hopefully it'll turn out better than Mike Pyke, although it's not like the GC need anymore help.

"That is a big surprise as the talk was that he was headign to Japan to play Union." -Jake

News said he'd be playing Union first before the GC team comes into the league in 2011.

Reply #245065 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754