basman
Years ago

Eastern vs Southern

what are people's thoughts on this game??? who will win and why? I think that the tigers boys will take home the W as Jacob is the key to Eastern's fortunes, and I think that the tigers big men have what it takes to take him out of the game. The southern guards will be too good for the likes of goodenough and mason, simply can control the game better. davis and trebilcock always feed off holmes' good work, so if jacob is shut down, davis and trebilcock won't know what the hell is going on. The Tigers have waited 4 hard years for this moment, and they are not about to let this game slip through their fingers. If the Mavericks show any weakness, the tigers will pounce, and the massive tiger crowd will see their boys over the line. tigers by 20.

Topic #206 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I really really want to agree with you Basman, but I just don't see it happening.

With no Pochintesta, they don't have anyone who will really take over a game on the offensive end. Snake will score his 15-20, B. Hodges will hit teens, Clarke will hit some 3s. But when the going gets tough and they need someone to hit pressure shots, with good defense, who will do it?

I'd really like to see Ingles or Gerlach surprise everyone and go off for 30 to pul lthe Tigers over the line, I just can't picture it.

Pochintesta was as close to Jacob as Tigers had, and he's gone... Bowley, Hoban, whoever the Tigers throw @ Jacob will no doubt give 100%, but when it comes down to it, he can hit shots no matter how well you play him. Tigers don't have that.

Gerlach is a good 2nd player, like Brad Davis, and that will be a good matchup. Clarke is better than Goodenough/Warhurt. Trebilcock should be better than Hoban, but both are inconsitent. Ingles is more explosive than anyone any Eastern benchie.

All in all, Eastern by 10-15.

Reply #1417 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Eastern by 10-15 for me too. The Tigers have no one that can stop Jacob, and Davis is his own player -- if Jacob is "kept" to 20 even, Davis could still go for 30 as shown previously in this season.

The Eastern guards aren't all that slow -- I saw them crossover time and time again on Shepherd and Vaughn in their game against Sturt. Vanilla moves, but they worked against faster defenders.

Gerlach and Clarke will perform, but unless the Tigers find another Gerlach, I think they will go down. There are four Eastern players who you'd definitely not want to let get open on the 3-point line, and who's going to stop them?

Reply #1420 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

fair enough....... i've been to most tigers games this season, and i have seen gerlach step up numerous times in the clutch, whether it be with a defender in his face making the shot tough to hit, or hitting the fallaway jumper as the shotclock hits zero. you can count on clarke to come up with some big three's down the stretch. ben hodges will score when the tigers need him, just because of the size of his heart and his love for the tigers. ingles and bowley always find a way to hit the impossible jumper and i think tim hodges and hoban can come up with the goods if required.

Reply #1421 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

With Eastern selling their first born to secure the services of Jacob Holmes for this ABL season, heads would be rolling at the club if his performance was less then expected. That being said, it means he will be looking for even more shots then usual to carry his team over the line... Whether this is positive or negative will depend on the day.

To imply that the tigers dont have the guns without Pochintesta is a little misguided. His mid season form slump (due to a foot injury) was at its peak in the last encounter between these two teams, with the Tigers only going down by 6 (from memory) and in that game, his imobility may have been a drawback!
The night before that, the Tigers beat North in OT with pochintesta playing 16 minutes on 1/6 from the field.

Thats the thing about this Tiger team. Rarely does anyone score over 25, but OFTEN there are 5 or 6 guys in the teens with one or two in the 20's.

The Holmes matchup is crucial as is the question of who can step up for the Tigers... Everyone?

Reply #1422 | Report this post

blackgold boy  
Years ago

there's no substitute for heart.....that is why the tigers will win. they dig deep, and when they know the game is on the line, this outfit ups the tempo and tries even harder.

Reply #1423 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Just keeping Trebilcock, Bowley and Campbell in the stadium will be a positive outcome for the game of basketball in this state ;)

Reply #1424 | Report this post

Crystal Ball  
Years ago

Trying to predict the winner or method to the madness of this game is probably more difficult than solving the Riddle of the Sphinx.

Fact is no one knows which Tigers will turn up not even the Tigers themselves. The only way to be sure is to grab a scarf, a beanie and a thermos of your favourite warming liquid and get your arse there.

That is of course if there is any room left in the stands as I can feel a "No Vacancies" sign being hung out the front.

Tigers destiny ... to be continued

Reply #1427 | Report this post

04astatsguru  
Years ago

With snow predicted for the Adelaide Hills this game will probably depend on who freezes the quickest. Players with icy joints may fall by the wayside. I have a gut feeling that the Tigers may roll on after this match. Those who know of coach Hopkins record as a coach of past Tigers Under 14 boys teams and the number of times they qualified for National Championships will know that he can operate well under pressure. Past Under 14 teams have come third in National tournaments and if you might say that there is no pressure on the coach at that level, imagine playing a team like Nunawading, Eltham, Dandenong, Kilysth, Ballarat etc. for third place. The Vics are serious competitors and Hopkins has beaten such teams in the past so in Saturdays game if the pressure is on in the home straight I'd back the Tiger coach any day.

Reply #1439 | Report this post

JC  
Years ago

It's definitely the Tiger boys for me- they just have way more heart than any other team in the league. They will all step up to cover the loss of Pochintesta. Look for a high scoring game from Gerlach, some mind boggling threes from Clarke, and some sensational all over the court moves from Jingles, backed up by heartfelt G&D from the other boys, and you have a great Tiger win.
Tigers by 10.

Reply #1445 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

04astatsguru - you're comparing U14 boys to ABL Men?!

Reply #1485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754