Isaac
Years ago

36ers confirm signing of Cortez Groves

Media release from the 36ers:

The Adelaide 36ers are excited about the arrival this Sunday of NBL excitement machine Cortez Groves. Groves will take the vacant import spot and play alongside the already secured John Gilchrist. The addition of Groves gives the 36ers a very exciting all American starting backcourt.
36ers Head Coach Scott Ninnis said about Groves" We are very excited to have someone of Cortez's caliber joining the group for the 09/10 season. He is one of the most talented players in the league and we are very confident he will again be one of the best. His ability to play both guard spots creates some flexibility in the team and I look forward to him joining us on court early next week.”
The release also speaks of Groves having played previously with Adam Ballinger, Matt Burston, Nathan Herbert, Jacob Holmes and Brad Hill - all of who have raved about his ability and character.

If you're eager to welcome Cortez to Adelaide, he'll be arriving at Adelaide Airport on Sunday at 10:25am, on Air New Zealand flight NZ 0821.

Topic #20610 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

This should be good...adds a scoring punch.

Reply #245196 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

We're a touch small.

I just hope we run

Reply #245198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Scoring averages over the years:

2003 (Hawks) - 20.5 PPG
2006 (Hawks) - 24.1 PPG (league best, all-NBL first team, 3rd place in MVP voting)
2007 (Hawks) - 22.2 PPG (all-NBL second team)
2008 (Dragons) - 18.3 PPG (35.6 MPG)
2009 (Dragons) - 12.1 PPG (anyone know MPG for 09?)

(For some reason, the NBL doesn't show MPG in their career box score in the media guide or online - boooo!)

Set the Dragons' club scoring record in 2007/08 with a 44 point game against the Bullets, including eight three-pointers (17/27 FG overall). Has a career high of 12 assists. Scored 36 points on debut against the Crocs.

(Edit: Quickly checked six boxscores (someone really bored could do all of them) and Groves averaged 25 MPG over that period. Grow that to his 2008 minutes and it's the equivalent of 17 PPG.)

Reply #245199 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Like most Goorj teams though, last season he scoring took a hit due to the way Goorj runs his team and likes to spread the scoring load.

The season before is a better indicator where he is at I reckon...

Reply #245201 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

By the sounds of things his character and attitude have been major influences in his signing and have outweighed any fears they may have had about his drop off in scoring at the Dragons.

Hopefully this team can now all get on the same page and play some up tempo exciting ball

Reply #245202 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Has the points cap details been released yet? Do we know how far under we are?

Reply #245203 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Good signing, especially with the respect Cortez has with his new teammates already after being involved with them in previous rosters.

With Gilchrist and Groves in the point for the whole 40 minutes that will most likely stop teams from pressing the 36ers.

Very quick team on paper, lets hope the skills are there to match and the team also has a half court game to combat the big zones they may come up against.

Couple of questions;
One, is who starts at small forward?
My vote would be Holmes, but Hill, Herbert or even Ng could step in to that role.

Two, who is now the target for the under 23 role?
My vote would be for a forward, a guard would not get any opportunity.

BURSTON/Cooper
BALLINGER/Under 23
HOLMES/Herbert
GROVES/Hill
GILCHRIST/Ng

Reply #245204 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I good signing. Also great post by Isaac showing Groves's figures and showing that he isn't average like most people have gotten the impression of him.

Herbert would struggle to play 3 and no way could Ng play 3!

I'm looking forward to the season!

Reply #245205 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

in a preseason game in 2006, he dropped 52 effortlessly against and full strength kings outfit. completely embarrassed them... and thats why he didnt get any playing time with goorj ;)

Reply #245206 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hill should start at SF. Beating Holmes there at trainings, someone mentioned.

As for the U23, this signing gives them the opportunity to sign the best U23 rather than someone in a specific position, IMO.

Reply #245207 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Isaac, How tall is Hill?? Some reports say he is about 197cm but looks a lot smaller.

Good signing with Groves!!

Reply #245209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hopefully he gets back to what we know. All i know is i used to hate it when he would play us as he generally had really good games. Has a bit of flash which should be nice as well.

Reply #245213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

aaa, either look it up on Google or go out there with a tape measure.

Reply #245215 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I would say Hill would be 197cm. I would imagine his wing span is quite a bit longer too.

Reply #245217 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

NBL.com.au has him listed at 198cm

Reply #245218 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

i love the idea of signing shitty recycled imports.

Reply #245220 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

and **** me wiki is fast.

Reply #245221 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Groves 2008 season, along with most Dragons that year, was tainted by Heal's inability to coach a young side.

Groves can play.

Reply #245223 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I was one of the people not happy with this signing, not because of his ability but because of his injuries and his age. But just like Cooper, now that he is a sixer I hope he is fit and ready to show us he is what he can do

Reply #245225 | Report this post

samba  
Years ago

Not happy about this signing. IMO needed some fresh blood, groves was poo last season, THEN he got injured.

Reply #245237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

samba. how many times did you see him play last season?

Reply #245241 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Do you update the Sixers site Isaac? If so, just wondered if there was anything in the order the "confirmed signings" are in?

Gilchris, Groves, Hill, Ballinger, Burston - doesn't look too bad? Would Jacob starting at 3 spot instead of Hill give a bit more strength?

Reply #245243 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I hope we see more dunks like that one he threw down at the dome when he was playing for the gong.

Reply #245245 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, yeah, I update it. Only significance in the order was that I put possible starters as PG through to C, and then the benchies, potentially at a rough personal guess at what minutes they might play.

I think Hill and Holmes give the team two quite different styles they can try. But I think they might start Hill if he keeps training well.

Reply #245250 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

2 reasons I think Hill should start, Number 1 he is athletic player who can run the lanes well, and 2 Jacob is really are only quality back-up big and I think a majority of his time should be played in the 4 spot. The only problem i see with Hill is going to be consistency, but they need to give him the opportunity to take his game to the next level this season

Reply #245251 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I am looking forward to the opportunity for Hill to start. He needs a clear role, and this would be perfect for him, with the two import guards, and two clearly established forwards. It also gives the coaching staff options offensively with their sets.

Jacob will be a perfect 6th man. Oppositions are going to target a particular forward to attack, and Jacob defensively can provide depth at each spot, while our guards try to run over the top of the opposition.

Reply #245257 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Hopefully he flourishes under our system. Will be interested to see how this team does - many variables.

PS - Skip, where did you even find a Canadian Club alarm clock?!?

Reply #245258 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

Not an inspired signing by any means.

Might end up being Chappell all over again.

He was a good player (hopefully still is, I doubt it though) but was never a winner.

Reply #245262 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

GILCHRIST - 191cm (6'3)
GROVES - 196cm (6'5)
HILL - 198cm (6'6)
BALLINGER - 205cm (6'9)
BURSTON - 210cm (6'11)

NG - 189cm (6'2)
HERBERT 192cm (6'4)
HOLMES - 196cm (6'5)
COOPER - 206cm (6'10)

That is not that small I don't think - actually it's a great mix.
But would like the u23 player around 200cm.
Thoughts??

Reply #245263 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Solid signing, I like the versatility this team has on paper. SportingPulse has Molitor listed at 204cm, I think he would be a good fit.

Reply #245269 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Unless Holmes has shrunk he is more like 6'8

Reply #245270 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Totally agree with you Isaac, the signing gives Ninnis now the flexibility to pick the best Under 23 player available not a PG or C.

Reply #245271 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, I reckon 6'7" tops.

Reply #245273 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Panther32, How is the development of that 6'10" guy in your team? I saw he had a good game the other day. I have never heard him mentioned so I assume he is very raw.

Reply #245276 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good sign, now for U23.

Who was that lad that went to the AIS? Would he qualify?

Reply #245277 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Sorry to bother you Isaac, thought you are the guru.

Reply #245278 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought you had the ability to plug a name in Google to find out yourself. ;)

Reply #245280 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

What i am trying to say Isaac is that i dont think he looks that tall(198cm). Though you may a better idea!! that is all.

Reply #245283 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Good signing and a very solid and versatile 8 man rotation .

Holmes off the bench is a good move , allow him to read the game and bring us leadership and different combinations .

A good under 23 big , preferably a C as a 2-3 year project and it has been a successful off-season .

Reply #245286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

aaa, no worries.

I do know that Cooper is not 205-206cm though - fraction shorter than Oscar, I think.

Reply #245287 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If Cortez can repeat this every now and then I'll be a happy man...

Reply #245290 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

FIBA list Hill at 198cm. I reckon Cooper is taller than he looks, he is a stooper.

Reply #245292 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

That was a massive 'oop dunk!
I must say, I am a little excited with our 8 man rotation - I guess people should realise with less game time there is less of a need to go 10-Deep. Cooper there if we get in foul trouble, and the U23 will play in blowouts.

Think we can be finals contenders...

Reply #245293 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

KingJames- Which guy are you talking about? Matt Dubrich? I don't know if I would say he is raw, he has been through the state system and SASI for most of his junior career. I think more so he's starting to mature and develop as a big and realise that he is better suited to the keyway than outside. Has the size, has a very sweet shot and underestimates himself in strength. Would and could be unstoppable if he put his mind to it. Time will tell with him, but is only still 19 years of age.

Reply #245295 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice to hear that stat about 8 threes in a game for Groves. He was clearly an elite scorer only two years ago, and is only 31 now.

Now that I have a little more info on him, I'm starting to feel pretty good about this signing and the shape of the Sixers for this season.

Thanks for the height info Journo, and I agree, we have enough size in general. Only size issue is with our bench big men. If Burston or Balls get in foul trouble we are relying on Coops, who gets pushed around a lot, and Holmes, who is too short. I'd like to see a young guy at least 6'9 and a solid build given a shot as our emergency big behind Coops and Holmes.

I like our age profile now as well. The Sixers are no longer fielding a bunch of geriatrics! Only Groves (31) and Coops (32) are over thirty and we have a group of young Aussie players that we can expect to build a team identity around.

Am I right in thinking that we must now sign three more players (to make 12) with one required to be under 23? Since Hill is only 22, but no-one has suggested him as our under 23, I assume they must also be a rookie?

I foresee good times ahead for the Sixers, which will be nice after five years of mediocrity!

Reply #245296 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Hi is turning 23 this year so does not qualify for the u23 spot. The other 2 spots are for Development players (the spots that Hoban and Nasty took up last year)

Reply #245300 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah Matt Dubrich is who I was talking about. If he is 19 and is 6'10 with no college options do you think the Sixers should be looking at him for at least a development spot?

Reply #245306 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

No way is Cortez Groves 196cm

Reply #245310 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would have thought so. Has been listed at 6'5 all his career, and looks similar height to other 6'5 guys.

Reply #245312 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

he cant play in Goorjians system, he cant play in Heal's system, maybe read between the lines and admit he cant play. He was good at the Hawks when he was mid 20's just like Chappell was. Dont like this one bit.

Reply #245323 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Heal had no system in 2008. And Groves fitted in fine in Goorj's system.

Reply #245325 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Im happy with this signing. The chances of Cortez becoming another Chapelle are very slim and his experience and talents will be priceless for our backcourt.

If Cortez can latch onto any more lobs like the one above or the one I saw against the Crocs when he was back at the 'gong (half court pass from Sav) it will bring that excitement Julius brought. Which is a nice added bonus.

Does anyone know what will happen to Hoban and more importantly EZ? Seeing EZ jogging to the scorers bench always made me excited. And i loved how the crowd rode every three through the net. It would be a shame to see such young SA talents go to waste in the ABL.

Reply #245326 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

if he get his scoring back he will do just fine. My issues is has anyone seen any TV press for this or gilchrist? did they have a press conference for the signing or was it just a release.

Reply #245329 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'll take a stab at the minutes:

Burston(32), Cooper(5), Ballinger(3)
Ballinger(32), Holmes(8)
Hill(24), Holmes(16)
Groves(20), Ng(15), Herbert(5)
Gilchrist(30), Groves(10)

(U23: junk time)

So the upside to Tez is we have a better backup PG, downside is I can only find 15mins for Ninja.

That's a damn good team though. "I don't know about you guys but I get a bit excited when I see something like that" -Bruce McAvaney

Reply #245336 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

agrree, damn good team, in a league that has been demolished and then put back together again.. we are damn lucky the sixers even exist, and IMO our import combo, with balls, and an exciting young lineup, looks very promising... thank god they saved our sixers!!

Reply #245342 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Well said "Hooked". We were all worried a few months ago about no NBL, then the possibility of an NBL Comp without an Adelaide team, but the SOS group has done a fantastic job and deserve the support of our state in the "rebirth" of the new National Comp

Reply #245343 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Media - There was plenty when Gilchrist arrived at the airport and first training day (in number 5) ..
none when he signed - the media was that he was our new import , on arrival...
Groves - no media yet . I'd guess when he arrives , there will be media at the airport and/or first training day...

Reply #245344 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Is Adrien Sturt any chance of being the U/23 player? Gives us another big presence inside and someone who can knock down the 3?

Reply #245347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adrien Sturt turns 23 during the season so he can't be selected.

Reply #245350 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I can see this U23 thing soon being raised to U25, or getting dropped like fart in a lift

Reply #245353 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Big Sexy. So if I read you right, that means that the u23 player CANNOT be a development player? Bit of an odd distinction if that is the case I would have thought? Why not just require three development players? You have to ask how many dev players are over 23 anyway?

Reply #245354 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This U23 player thing is a bit confusing. If a team has 2 development players, wouldn't one of them qualify as the U23 player provided he is U23? Why is it throwing a spanner in the works having to recruit an U23 when you normally recruit 2 DP's?

Reply #245356 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

I'm not sure if its been mentioned on another post, but does anyone have any idea what Groves has been doing since his time with the Dragons? Has he been keeping in shape?

Reply #245357 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

U23- designed to get rid of Davo, JR , Darnell and the like... I hate the rule..

Reply #245358 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Your u23 player has to be on the roster not a dp

Reply #245359 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I have no concerns about Cortez being another Chappell. I am more concerned that he could fill the role of a fast fading Farley c. 2005.

I wish Cortez all the best with us, and hope he brings that devastating passion he had at the Hawks to his time here.

I still have nightmares of that game at the Dome where Groves had everyone on the team try to defend him during the game. He was just blowing by all of them and, I recon, must have made about 6 baseline dunks. Totally unstoppable.

Reply #245361 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like player rankings - Hill Cooper Herbert are 5
Ng 6 Burston=7. Holmes 8. Ballinger Groves Gilchrist are 10s. ( spose u23 is 1) = 67 points.

Reply #245391 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Groves only 8 on nbl.com !
(not reading it properly-late at nite.)

Reply #245394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel 31, the U23 is not "designed to get rid of Davo, JR , Darnell and the like", it's designed to provide opportunities and "pathways" for young talent. Yes, it does so at the expense of those veterans, but it was not designed to get rid of them and it is unfair on the NBL to suggest that.

Reply #245401 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Isaac, let me re-phrase to . Under 23 rule and (for example Maher is a 9 now) reduces the number of vintage players on the court.

Reply #245413 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Veteran players - I meant ( not vintage)

Reply #245414 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I think you will see it perhaps raised to under 24 as if you look at kids coming out of college they are all 23 years of age.

Reply #245525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Burston (7)/Cooper (6)
F Ballinger (10)/U23
F Holmes (8)/Hill (5)
G Groves (8)/Ng (6)
G Gilchrist (10)/Herbert (5)

= 65/70 Points

Reply #245555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754