LC
Years ago

Odom to stay with Lakers

Just announced that Lamar Odom will stay with the Lakers for season 2009/10.

"Free agent forward Lamar Odom will return to the Los Angeles Lakers, an NBA source said Thursday.

One source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com the four-year deal is worth $33 million if the Lakers exercise the final season.

One source close to the process said Odom will come away with a guaranteed $27 million from the new contract, matching the original value of the three-year, $27 million deal Lakers owner Jerry Buss pulled off the table earlier this month.

It's believed that the structure of the new deal calls for Odom to earn $25 million over the first three seasons, with the Lakers owing him $2 million in the fourth year if they elect not to pick up their team option."

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/6fag8

Some good news for the Lakers considering Ariza's departure (even though they signed Artest who IMO could do more harm than good).

Topic #20613 | Report this topic

Black Dracula  
Years ago

In all honesty, it's the best move on his part. From offseason movements, I think the Lakers are still a step ahead of everyone else (though it'll be interesting to see Boston with Sheed and a healthy KG).

Reply #245214 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Artest move would make Lakers better than the championship roster with him playing 3 and 4, he pretty much added versatility to Lakers roster from last season.

Obviously there's always the Lakers doubter around but in reality, if Phil can control Rodman he can coach anybody (Artest isn't even as bad). With Kobe on his side too (one of the few players Ron actually respects) I really don't think it'll go terribly wrong.

Reply #245232 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

oh yeah another thing, barring injuries there are going to be set starter at the 3 spot now, where last season Phil really didn't know who to start at that spot.

Reply #245248 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

Great news for the Lakers. Barring serious injury, they'll be title contenders for the next 3-4 years.

Reply #245284 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I still think they are worse than this year, while other teams are better (Spurs, Mavs, Blazers). I still see them as favourites in the West but it will be much closer. Any of the big three from the East could beat them in the Finals.

Reply #245291 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

How are they worse? They're basically bringing back the exact same team but have swapped Ariza with Artest. Now Ariza wasn't exactly chop liver for the Lakers but there wouldn't be too many teams that wouldn't trade Ariza for Artest. It's a major upgrade. The big question is whether or not Artest will fit in, but the Lakers have an excellent coaching staff and a couple of the few players Artest respects in the league (Kobe & Odom) which maximises the likelihood of it working. And if Bynum can stay on the floor the whole season (seems like a big if these days) and continue to develop, they're even better again.

The Mavs and Blazers have improved, no doubt. But they had a lot of ground to cover in trying to catch the Lakers. They may have covered that ground with the moves they made, time will tell I guess. I don't think they have at this stage though.

The Spurs will be tough. The Celtics will be very tough. The Cavs will be tough (but are they better with Shaq? It's debatable.) Conceivably, any of those three teams could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. Then again, conceivably, the Lakers could beat either of those three teams in a 7 game series as well.

Reply #245299 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Jay-Jay Manners- I agree with everything you said. With this all said, I think a point and subject of this topic seems somewhat forgotten. We bring Lamar Odom off the bench! All there teams mentioned above simply don't have this luxury, where a sub is arguably better than your starter.

Other things I've heard, Adam's playing his best ball since joining the NBA so it'd be interesting to see how he go while Shannon has been fairly promosing while I was there.

Further with the Spurs they have upgraded but they are aging extremely fast. While I'm not sure if Mavs will ever get there again with Dirk; they have yet to recover since '05. I think the interesting teams to watch out for'd be Blazers and Clippers.

I definitely think Celtics will be much more dangerous with Sheed but I quite like our chances with Ron on Paul, length on Drew and Pau will hopefully help closing out better on Sheed's shot.

Reply #245315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754