skip
Years ago

Under 23 player suggestions

I will likely get shot down here, but Im gonna say it anyway. Do you think Daniel Joyce could be a consideration? He doesnt turn 23 until May next year and has been a starter in the league before.
I have always said, it doesnt matter what he does on the court, no one is going to respect him until he plays under a coach that isnt his Dad. (Or starts averaging 20 a game)

He would surely have to be one of the better under 23 options out there?

Commence shooting.

Topic #20629 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

SOJ has received a lot of criticism in the past, and maybe he should be given more consideration than he has previously.

My only concern is that if he moves to Adelaide, who will do his cooking, washing and ironing?

Skip, you will never get shot down, but remember that skips always get dumped on.

Reply #245426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually agree with you here. IMO I believe he COULD be one of the "better options". Away from his Father as Coach would make a huge difference, and he has played with Cortez and Balls before. I believe he would be a complete different style of player away from his Father and he would greatly benefit from our older more established players and come down a few notches.

Reply #245428 | Report this post

Ron T  
Years ago

I agree with you Skip, he has the potential to be a good player and away from his dad will develope and mature to be a valuable part of any team.It is not easy to get an under 23 player with his experience.

Reply #245445 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Thanks for making me laugh on a Sunday morning

Reply #245448 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

What about Adrien Sturt? I think we need another big man as we may be slightly guard heavy.

Reply #245454 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Been said many times on here before that Sturt won't be U23 at the cut-off date.

Reply #245458 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I'll throw up a few names that local Adelaide fans will not know of...

Carlin Hughes - Should be under the age restriction by season start. Despite the Sixers being strong in the guard he is a floor leader and spot-up shooter.

Josh Jenkins - May be snapped up by Townsville soon. However, can play 2, 3 or 4 positions. Stands approx 203cm and around one hundred kilo's. Major upside at only 19.

Jeromie Hill - A younger type from Cairns, now at the AIS. Worth trying to tempt him into a position on the team before he commits to an American college. Is around 6-8" and is a four with a developing outside game.

Tom Garlepp - Excuse me if he is too old, but has some NBL experience, is a good size for power forward (not centre), can get up and down the floor and can finish and board.

Reply #245466 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

IMO Joyce would not be a good fit for us given our surplus of guards on the current roster. You would expect Gilly to play 30 mins + per game. One of the reasons the 36ers mentioned for signing Cortez was so he could run the point which will give Ng & Herbet time at SG. Joyce would not come here for 10 mins per game otherwise I'd say he'd be a good pick up.

The U23 player need to be a 4 or 5 - no pint securing another guard. Does Dodman fit the age range or is he still playing footy?

Reply #245476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think he will do well away from his father then let him do so...But he will have to start his career like everyone else has who is a young up an coming (YAP) and proove himself in the aba, and I don't mean the Waratah, where he did not dominate anyway....go and cut your teeth in the seabl like other yaps who are trying to get a shot....if you dominate there then maybe, maybe you may get a shot....look at Harms...twice the player, can't get a gig...wake up Joyce the ride is over

Reply #245480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone know more about this? Was posted by 'Curious' on OzHoops:

Comets over Maitland by 20.
D Joyce has walked out on the team. Pathetic.

Getting ripped at training by his own team mates and couldn't handle it.
Hawks are allegedly looking at him.
Why?
(Not sure if that Hawks reference is to Wollongong in the NBL or Illawarra in the Waratah league if they still have a team there?)

Reply #245493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All players under 23 should play for an AIS team based in canberra and upon turning 24 be recruited by any of the other teams.

Reply #245521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson, my mail is Carlin Hughes is living life up in the States with his partner. Not sure what is going on with his visa and how long he can stay for. Jeromie Hill from the AIS is a good kid but think he would be smarter to attend college and grow into his body and mature before trying to make the NBL. Josh Jenkins, I THINK (not sure) is off the market, think the Crocs snapped him up as a development. Garlepp would be my choice

Reply #246494 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754