LC
Years ago

NBL considering season switch

The NBL Head Office are considering moving the NBL season away from it's current summer operation as reported in today's Melbourne Herald-Sun:

"THE approaching NBL season could be the last one played in the September-March "summer" format.

As part of the sport's ongoing reform process, Basketball Australia is reviewing the timing of the season and is looking at four options to position the competition from next season onwards.

The four options on the table are January-June, July-December, April-August or the current September-March schedule that has been in place since the NBL moved from its traditional winter season in 1998."

"Two factors that will impact on the final decision about the positioning of the NBL will be how it effects the tiers of basketball below it (SEABL, various state leagues and other competitions) and what the league's broadcaster Fox Sports would prefer."

Link: http://linky.com.au/kukni

What is everyone's preference? I like the idea of a move back to winter myself.

Topic #20640 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

January (holiday period) you get the biggest crowds to games.

Reply #245501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move to winter, it will be a second rate league because the country's best 20-odd players will be off competing for a Boomers spot.

Reply #245504 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Whatever Foxtel wants.

Reply #245507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the summer season. I follow football and basketball closely but if it was played the same time as the football I wouldn't get a season ticket.

Reply #245509 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think the NBL really needs to consider the impact other sports will have on attendance when switching the season around.

If they really feel the need to move it, it should be with the majority of the season outside the other codes - July-December or January-June. This at least allows fans who may prefer the other codes to still get to a chunk of games.

I don't dislike the Summer season, but change for changes sake IMO isn't a good idea.

Reply #245510 | Report this post

Nash2Stoudemire  
Years ago

I hate the idea of a winter season.

Like was mentioned above, any World Champs/Olympics are going to be during that June-October period.

Also, any decent imports will not be available as they will be over playing summer league trying to get an NBA gig.

We are in no state atm to compete with AFL/NRL.

Not to mention all the clashes with the lower league such as SEABL, BIG V ect.

I beleive there is only one good window for basketball in its current state.

October 1- March 30.

No clashes with AFL, Olympics, NBA Draft/Summer League or bad whether.

No good trying to compete with these things now when we know we will not win. Later on it may be an option but trying it now would be silly I think.

N2S

Reply #245511 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The above covers my thoughts perfectly.

Oct- March*

*completely subject to change if a significant media organisation comes in and says they want it at any other time.

Reply #245512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

winter season with 1 game per team a week while olympics/world champs are on. I believe it should start the day after game 7 of the nba finals is scheduled.

Reply #245518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why one game per week why worlds/Olympics are on anon? No serious boomers contender will be able to play NBL in winter because they will be missing for the middle chunk of the season with Boomers camps/tours and then the tournament.

Reply #245523 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Definitely prefer a summer season, as people have mentioned we are not competing with AFL and NRL and if we were we would have no chance. I think a summer season gives those people who are sport fanatics (In particular AFL) to go and watch a sport in the "off season". It is also in line with the NBA (to a point) which would also help get people out to a game. You sit home watch the an NBA game saturday afternoon and get pumped up to then go and watch an NBL game. It almost feeds off the back of NBA marketing and advertising.
Would committ suicide if it changed to winter.

Reply #245526 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I think Jan-June or July-Dec gets my vote.
Unltimately I think it should be moved back to winter because that's what most people who pay to go to games want, but too much change too soon is the grim reaper of all businesses- customers/fans still need to have some familiarity while the changes of reform go through.
if they screw too much with the product too soon, it will have the reverse effect.
I hope once this interim season is over and they get an idea of what the following will be like this season around the country, they should look at making changes to when the season starts and finishes.
Unfortunately the DSEG Review failed to clarify what the customers (officially) want so they can't use investigated findings to make a judgement call.

Reply #245528 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Id like to see the Jan to June option personally. I am all for the best possible talent in the league and believe better players bring better crowds. With the Jan Jun season players who dont make an NBA roster will consider our league, with it finishing in time for them to go back and compete in summer league.

Reply #245530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

September-March is still the best for the fans.

Reply #245535 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

"HAHA"- "...Unltimately I think it should be moved back to winter because that's what most people who pay to go to games want..."
I would like you to back this statement up with either evidence or examples as to why? Ican't think of any reason except to maybe entice the Australian players back from Europe.

Reply #245537 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I like April-September just to give you something to watch while NBA's in offseason

Reply #245538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why Jan to June? Why not November to June and then you can uncluster the fixture, and have a season launch when there is little else on. Cricket and Aus Open dominate January.

Reply #245539 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think that the league should do some serious fan polling and see what the fans really want.

FWIW, a winter season for an indoor sport makes a hell of a lot of sence. I can see a lot more casual fans wanting to go do something indoors during winter than when the other option is an evening at the beach.

Christmas is notorious for other parties and functions, and lots of people travel in January.

Then again, no time is perfect. Winter you compete with other codes, and people's work lives are more busy.

Reply #245545 | Report this post

Ron T  
Years ago

I get both AFL and B/Ball season tickets, if I have to make a choice AFL will win.
I enjoy the B/Ball during the summer please don't change.

Reply #245549 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

The administrators, supporters and everyone in Basketball has to get the courage to put the sport back in winter. I am sick and tired of hearing the "we cannot go up against AFL/Rugby" line. Excuse me people lets list the reasons why people can skip basketball in summer:

* A-League, Cricket, other major summer sporting events.
* Every music festival, travelling artist or major act which decides to tour in summer.
* Events like the Fringe, Garden of unearthly delights every night.
* The beach which is more attractive than sitting in a stadium on a warm summer evening.
* Christmas parties, work break-ups.
* Holidays.
* Basketball fans who would rather watch the NBA/disappointed in lower standards of imports due to timing of the season.
* The general summer lifestyle.

The above are powerful social forces and Basketball isn't a natural fit for summer. Yes getting space in the paper against AFL is hard but the cumulative impact of the above list is much harder to compete against than the AFL or NRL on its own.

Add to the fact that the imports we attract now days by and large are not drawcards. Remember the 90s? Trimmingham, MaClain, Brunson, English (jokes). The imports were a major reason for people who were not followers week in week out to get excited, (the Hodge effect). Now we hire a lot of imports to be strictly role players. Competing with the European dollar is killing the standard of the league.

I have three season tickets. One for myself and two for others who cannot make every game. Have you ever tried to give away spare tickets in summer? Anyone with a decent social life is busy. The standard has to be brilliant in summer to attract new fans. In winter? Indoor sport, the only option in town other than Netball and AFL. And we only need 6,000 people who do not want to watch footy to have a healthy crowd.

I can't wait to see the endless torrent of posts which say "But AFl...but AFL."

Reply #245550 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

True but I know people who'd rather go to an airconditioned ball game in summer and head out after than go out for a game in winter because they're too cold!
Personally I'll go to games no matter what the season but not everybody's like us.

Reply #245551 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

July 1st - December 1st fits best.

Suits playres moving into Europe at the end of the season. Therefore improves potential product.

Enables corporate sponsors. Detween December 15 and Jan 30 you can't get a sponsor to go to games.

Season starts in the middle of AFL and finishes after the GF and before test circket really heats up.

Doesn't cut too much into hot weather and christmas parties.

Reply #245552 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well I've been watching the Adelaide Thunderbirds getting good crowds playing on the same day as the Crows and Power. So I wouldn't say we've got no hope going up against AFL.
I'd guess we've got FNQ differing seasons to southern states and availability of venues in Melbourne and Perth to consider. As well as media and all the other issued.
You'd need to do a full impact study on it.
Not sure that there was much of a change to crowds etc when we changed from Winter to Summer.

Reply #245553 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Summer for me.

Football.

Reply #245562 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

While the NBL is wise to look at reverting back to a winter league, this will clash with afl/rugby league fans who may go to games and therefore need to choose between sports.

It worked for many years however this was before the AFL became a powerhouse in football codes.

Probably not wise to play around with it too much however there is wisdom in a new approach that could be looked at.

Reply #245569 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'd prefer the summer please. It gives me something else to do and see. Someone mentioned hanging home Saturday watching NBA and getting pumped for the NBL that evening. A perfect day.

If it went back to winter, I wouldn't buy a season ticket or watch the games much. I'm too into my footy and rugby league.
Go Lions & Broncos!

Reply #245573 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is important to remember that the imports of yesteryear seemed better because the level of Australian talent was lower, and there was nowhere near as much depth as today.

No matter when you have the season, you will be competing against other leagues, whether it be Europe, Asia, NBA summer league etc. But if you put the league in winter you will not have any of the top Australian or NZ players playing due to national team commitments.

Then at least the same level of imports will be able to dominate the comp due to its lower standard!! If we want a decent league we have to be in line with the rest of the world and not play over the international season.

Reply #245574 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i dont think the current season dates are too far off the mark right now.

it is more about exposure,it wont take much to fill stadiums,free to air tv etc.

most of the hard calls have already been made(owners).

we are seeing increased govt confidence in the sport already(albeit small)

salary cap policing is the next hurdle,which is vital to keeping door prices fair,bums on seats and teams afloat.

Reply #245578 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Camel 31, don't take this the wrong way but I think crowds at a Netball game would be predominantly female (i'm not saying all females don't like footy!), who realistically are not going to be that interested in AFL footy, so you are not competing with the same supporter base.

Reply #245581 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I know that school/social etc say that if there's a Crows game on , then forget about holding any meeting/event, and I mentioned T-birds.
There is more room in the media in summer.
I played winter and summer for 30 years, and don't have any violent objections to either.

Reply #245583 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Although the players probably play slightly better in winter than during an aussie heat wave.

Reply #245599 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754