HAHA
Years ago

Breakers sign Rickert; Dave Thomas to be replaced

Dave Thomas has pulled out of his signing with the Breakers due to an ongoing back injury and has enabled Rickert to resign and fit under the cap.

Interesting that the article then goes on to say they are looking for another big name signing as a result- that's if they can fit under the cap like they initially said!

I think DT would've been a great fit for the Breakers so let's hope he shows up somewhere else in the near future.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/2715982/Rickert-re-signed-by-Breakers

Topic #20643 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Rickert signing is independent of the DT situation. They can fit him under the cap because he agreed to play for less - no longer a players' market - it's not because DT is no longer going there.

So, at this stage they have:

Bruton/Henare/Webster
Penney/Abercrombie
(Import to come)/Boucher
Forman/Trueman
Rickert/Ronaldson/Pledger

Reply #245529 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Whilst DT would should have been a great fit for the Breakers the injury cloud would surely have been a worry.

I don't think we will see DT pop up anywhere else.

Reply #245531 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

He's about the only player who played for the Tigers whom I respected as a player and a nice personality off the court.
Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Reply #245532 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Even without a second import, that is a strong team!

Contenders?

Reply #245533 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think that team is a bit over rated personally.

If Penney or Bruton or Rickert get injured then they are in a lot of trouble.

They are really going to miss the extra scoring off the bench from Phil Jones.

Their bigs aren't that great either (compared with the Sixers anyway).

Having said all that I wouldn't be surprised if they finished top 4 and prove me wrong, as one thing they seem to have is good chemistry. However, I think with no Jones they wont be as good anymore.

The second import will make the difference if they will finish top 4 or middle of the pack.

Reply #245541 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That is a pretty strong team. The Breakers have an advantage if they push it. There's no reason they can get a clean sweep at home and aim to win at least 50% on the road.

Reply #245542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KJ, every team is going to take a hit if they lose a key starter. Take Burston out of Adelaide and they're light in the middle. Take Gibson out of the Blaze and what do they do? Remove Anstey from Melbourne and Daniel Johnson is starting centre.

I think NZ are in good shape. They've taken the team that finished top four last year, swapped Trueman in for Tanner (not a step down as Tanner never really played), Abercrombie for Behrendorff (not a step back) and are effectively bringing in an import to replace Jones. Meanwhile, the champion Dragons are out of the equation and only the Blaze have made significant upgrades IMO.

I think many people have Melbourne and NZ tipped as the top two sides on paper.

Reply #245543 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Rickert was horrible last season! Its a shame he is still in the league IMO i wouldve liked to see some new talent in NZ. Overall the Breakers have recruited imports pretty well over the years, but Rick Rickert is one to forget. Seems most teams really are holding on their money for the 'new nbl' season.

Reply #245556 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Actually just thinking, hopefully the new import is solid to the point that they had to throw extra cash at him, hence rickert gets to return....and after that aeroplane jelly celebration against the 6ers in the elimination game too, its a miracle he's back haha

Reply #245557 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Looking at the quality of the NZ roster you have to wonder how they can afford another import even with Rickert taking a pay cut.

I doubt CJ, Penney or Boucher would come cheap. They must have some good third party sponsorships in NZ compared to Adelaide

Reply #245558 | Report this post

forro  
Years ago

luke whitehead may be a good signing a bit pricey though.

Reply #245561 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Isaac, you know your brother better than me but IMO they'd be far better off signing a PF as their second import so Oscar can play SF.

Reply #245565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forro, I don't know of anyone in the know who thinks Luke Whitehead would be a good signing. Good stats, put in the effort on a crap team last year, but I suspect that's about it.

X, I guess they have that flexibility. I got the impression from the most recent article that they have someone in mind or a shortlist that includes players they know.

Reply #245570 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Rickett is a good signing for NZ as he is respected by the players and brings hustle and a bit of size and agility to the paint to go alongside the Bear.
I struggle to see what was so horrible about all the boards he pulled down last year? NZ don't need flashy Imports, they sell games out anyway, the need people who are going to contribute and hustle with good character who are going to put the team first not their ego.
Props to Dave Thomas for being honest and looking out for the Breakers interests by withdrawing from his contract. Tom Abercrombie is getting his shot now, Phill Jones is gone and will be contibuting elsewhere, Abercrombie is looking like the future while Phill is the past, NZ are moving forward and hopefully towards a championship. Abercrombie has been starting for NZ in the recent tour of Europe and put up some good numbers in some tough games. Be interesting to see who the next Breakers Import will be but I agree that it's a pretty strong outfit on paper already.

Reply #245572 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rickert is a good, solid player. If his back has recovered he could be even more than that.

Smart signing, and with the form of Pledger for the Tall Blacks, the Breakers may have a pretty decent combo in the middle

Reply #245575 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

"I doubt CJ, Penney or Boucher would come cheap"

Boucher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's made my afternoon that statement.

Probably paying his taxi fare to training and throwing in a years supply kiwi fruit and a bottle of sav blanc,that's what he's worth!

Reply #245635 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Boucher doesnt come cheap, but he aint expensive anymore either.

Reply #245642 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's right Isaac, Whitehead would not be a good fit for New Zealand.

Would have fit much better at Gold Cast under Wright -he is an open court, freelance type player.

I think Forman is better suited to the 4-spot in the NBL. So a rebounding, defensive swingman who can hhit an open three would work.

Tremell Darden fits that description, but maybe the Breakers ahve higher aspirations than that??

Reply #245643 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I have said it before, but three to four years ago DT would be the first person I would have chosen to build a team around. I have always loved the way he goes about the game: exciting but not overly flashy, an individual contributor without needing the ball, an honest defender, good hussler, the ultimate team man. Despite being a Tiger, he has always epitomised class.

I would like to think that it is not all over for his career, but I suspect it is. Congrats to DT for his contributions, it is a shame he never played for the Sixers in his prime. :-)

Reply #245656 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Dave Thomas definatly has class and I would agree, shame injury has stopped him being a breaker.

Reply #245681 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754