Anonymous
Years ago

Hill & Kerle!

Alright, I know someone would start this thread so it might as well be me!

For those of you at the game (not many of us, but that is another thread in itself), you would have witnessed one of the porrest displays of sportsmanship ever in sports history! Basically Mick Hill and Simon Kerle were jeering and taunting the crowd in the last minute or so of the game and behaving in a provocative manner. I guess we have all come to expect Simon Kerle to act like a complete fool/tool always, but Mick Hill sunk into the depths of disgracefulness with his carrying on. It just left a really bitter taste in my mouth. It is on thing to be happy and celebrate a hard fought win on the road, but another to rub it in the face of everyone - even Joey Wright was trying to get them to stop.

Look, I know we are all passionate Sixers fans and hate losing (me worst of all), but I can take a loss like a true sportsman, but I think someone needs to teach our two 'friends' some of that or is it too late for them???

Topic #2069 | Report this topic

DJM  
Years ago

In the AFL they would be fined for inciting the crowd. Is there such a mechanism in the NBL?

Reply #23353 | Report this post

bob  
Years ago

i agree that was the worst sportsmnaship ive evr seen. i was sitting 6 rows back from the court and everyone around me was telling them to shut the hell up all that stuff. i was there with a few girls from school who were there for the first time and they sad that they would never come to another 6ers game if that happens all the time.

Reply #23354 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

its bad but what are you going to do. Its not worth getting angry about. I just hope that was not the last game brett plays as a sixers cos he deserves a better send off.

Reply #23358 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Gnerally I come to expect that behaviour from Simon Kerle, and in a weird way you've got to like him a bit for it! So many times in the past, most recently Kerle during the regular season, a player gets on the crowds bad side and it lifts the Sixers to victory, the only difference tonight was the guy was able to back it up on the stas sheet.

As for Mick Hill, and even Bryant Matthews, who haven't been in the league long and aren't respected, by anyone, they really should shut up, unless they are able to put up some numbers.

There should be conduct laws, which enforce fines for players who get agro with fans.

Perhaps in Australia it isn't as serious an issue, but an Artest moment could errupt from anything. Kerle was jiving with a fan or two quite vocally at the end of tonights game near the players race, and if it ever got worse than veberal abuse, I'd be very disapointed.

Reply #23361 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So why if Kerle plays a stinker is it alright to get in his face and tell him what you think of him but If he actually plays well and they win then he cant 'give a bit back'
He cops it on the chin when its coming his way and is ready to fire back when its his turn. The scenes on Fox of him leaving the court through the race with some of the crowd leaning over the fence and having a go at him show how stupid some people are. The fastest way to stop him carrying on would have been to not react!

While I agree that Kerle at times can go a bit over the top remember that it goes both ways and if we (the crowd) are prepared to give a bit of a verbal to someone like Kerle when we win we have to be prepared to cop a bit of lip back when we dont.

Reply #23367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont be so Pathetic!!!!!

If we had won and Willie was getting right up Kerle and any Brisbane supporters in ear shot we would have all loved it and theought he was just being competitive. We used to love it when Cat got under the opposition fans skin!

We lost so all I am seeing here is a bad case of sour grapes!

Reply #23370 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Yeah I don't necesarily mind Kerle getting in to it, because he has been around for years, has been a good player for years, and is renowned for his attitude. With him, I just wouldn't want him, or a fan to take it to far one night.

I suppose I just find it hard to see mediocre players such as Hill, dancing around the Dome, maybe it is a bit of sour grapes.

What I'm trying to say, is with regards to Kerle, I'm immune to his antics thesedays, seen it all, but to see it from lesser players/personalities is a tougher pill to swallow.

Reply #23375 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Fair call Shaqdiddy - Unfortunately we havnt got a leg to stand on this season as Hill gets the last laugh.
With Kerle - point taken about things going to far but I love getting into him (as I did with Heal) from the stands so have to expect a bit back at times.

So who do we support now Sydney or Brisbane? HA not a chance - lets go Tigers!

Reply #23378 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Agreed, its a long shot but wouldn't it be a great sporting fairytale for Andrew and Daddy Gaze to retire on a title!

Heck it may even be one of the first 3 segements on Sports Tonight!!

Reply #23381 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Kerle's hand gesture of taking a photo when Matthews posterized Cooper was funny as all hell!!!!

Reply #23386 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agreed. That taking a photo thing was genius. I don't know where he got it from, but it was hilarious and so I'm not so bothered.

As with others, I expect that kind of stuff from Kerle and he gives and receives so good on him for being a character. Hill's actions were in poor taste though.

There were a lot of fans there tonight watching their team bow out of the finals in a disappointing game after a year of paying to attend, etc. I just think it's a bit much to rub salt into that wound.

Someone like Stephen Black, who had a far superior game, looked to act in a more mature manner (i.e., excited and happy without rubbing it in).

Reply #23391 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I actually joined in giving Kerle a bit near the players race towards the end and did it as quite an rational move on my part. As long as the tauts are kept clean for children I think it's good for the league, gets passions ignited and to have a character in the game is good. Certainly won't hurt the sports publicity and makes the finals a bit interesting.

Reply #23404 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Doesn't hurt the sports publicity??

You are kidding aren't you?

I had 4 friends watching the game on Fox, and before I had even managed to get into the press conference, had sms's from them all saying what a great game, ruined by a pathetic spectacle at the end (well, words to that effect).

I tend to agree with Isaac and a couple of others...Kerle always cops it when he plays bad, so I dont blame him for wanting to give some back, he just needs to remember he is a "professional" and that the taunts come as part of life if you live and play hard.

Mick Hill on the other hand was just poor, and hopefully the NBL will investigate (there are mechanisms in place for bringing the game into dis-repute - thats what Marcus Wright and his dad copped in that brawl with the 6ers last season)

And as an aside, had a REAL taste of life on the edge last night....walked into the press conference to be told I was asking the questions, and we were going live!! eeek...nothing like preparation :)

Reply #23407 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Agreed with the above Kerle had the opportuity to give some back last night....i beleive he is good for the game...every sport needs a villan.

As for Hill, rides on the coat tails of his team mates and then runs around like it was all your work....one word sums him up. Tosser.

Reply #23412 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Characters are good for the game. There should be more of them. Simon Kerle is pure gold. As for the other guy ..... he's a Kerle wannabe and until he gets his hair done in the Kerle/Brannen mold, I won't give him his due.

Unless he crossed the line of decency, it's all good and that camera move after the dunk was one of the best I've ever seen.

Reply #23413 | Report this post

maverick  
Years ago

SORE LOSERS thats all it is, this will become the most popular thread and i bet next time brisbane play here you will all be out in force to watch them fall and when or if they do you people writing how unsportsman like they were will be doing exactly the same back to them and possibly more, for the morons at the game last night abusing kerle and hill, did it ever occur to you that is why they did it to stir you up, and obviously worked, who is going to the semi's.....not adelaide obviously looks like you will all have to wait til brisbane come to town next time but a healthy rivalry is good for sport and will get the attention of people and hopefully fill our stadiums.

Reply #23432 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee -- agreed. Kerle tends to target those who target him. Hill's gloating shown towards the entire crowd was a bit tasteless IMO.

What were your questions at the press conference? Any good quotes?

Reply #23439 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Heard there was a "Hall of Famer" waiting at the bus for Mick Hill to tell him a thing or 2.

Seems certain ex player was disgusted at how he had treated the game of basketball by his actions.

Reply #23443 | Report this post

maverick  
Years ago

dont be shy kent name names???

Reply #23447 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

So Yogee it was a pathetic spectacle? But will it be one everyone remembers? Will everyone remember Kerle's antics? Will these same people buy tickets next time Brisbane is in town to see the Sixers give it to Kerle and Hill?

I think a great crowd pulling rivalry has begun.

Reply #23452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maverick, you have no idea - the way mick hill acted can't be transposed to us fans having sour grapes or being sore losers! As has already been stated, he was inciting the crowd in a very unsportsmanlike manner. The kerle thing has been covered well enough. You need to have respect that you have just come in and finished a team's season in a shock way - sure be happ, celebrate etc, but as has already been said, rubbing it in when you're a back-up player who is lucky to get 20 minutes and hits one or two shots and you haveno repsect around the league is just woeful. We hate losing, but you would never see one of the Sixers players react like that in the same situation at the Swamp, the Gong, or in Brisbane for that matter where the crowds are similar.

Reply #23455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Heard there was a "Hall of Famer" waiting at the bus for Mick Hill to tell him a thing or 2.

Seems certain ex player was disgusted at how he had treated the game of basketball by his actions."

Name?

Reply #23462 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

sorry people the 'anonymous' comment in response to Maverick's interesting opinion was mine! the name wasn't automatically inserted!

Reply #23463 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maverick, how many NBL Hall of Famers were in Adelaide last night? Narrow it down.

Reply #23470 | Report this post

Riley  
Years ago

Just give us a name

Reply #23472 | Report this post

slip  
Years ago

What did Hill do? I was at the game but I missed it?

Also what happened in the Brisbane raceway at the end of the game?

Reply #23490 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hill was gleefully waving goodbye to the crowd.

In the visitor's players' race, Kerle was being restrained from starting something physical as a few Sixers fans were yelling at him. I don't want to know what would have happened if he wasn't being held back -- could've got very ugly.

Reply #23491 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Umm, the press conference was actually a bit bland. There really wasnt much you could ask out of that, I ended up asking both coaches about the 13 to 6 turonover count, which was unusual.

Unfortunately I didnt have access to FOX stats, and wasnt aware that the Bullets hit the most 3's for the season, but their stats man Mark Sloacombe was there to bail me out :)

Smyth basically said his contract negotiations are going well, and Willie said he wants to come back, which Phil butted in on and said "I think you will find he will more than likely be back".

Unfortunately, it was just a case of Brisbane totally outclassed us, and so nothing to really ask. (I did stumble when Joey Wright was in...I was trying to ask which team they feared the most remaining in the playoffs, and just couldnt get the question out...by the time I finished he just had a blank look as if to say "what the hell did you just ask me??"

Reply #23498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerle is awesome! He is so arrogant that it's entertaining. He was being booed so he began taunting the crowd. Power to him - it was fun to watch!

Reply #23627 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

a very interesting discussion....i agree that kerle is good for basketball, however i dont see how one guy is allowed to do it, and another guy is not (ie. hill). i guess because fans in adealide have been giving it to kerle for years, he probably owes us a few words. i must admit i was disappointed though to see the way a few individuals celebrated....not really a classy victory. brisbane had more than the last laugh with the result and how outstandingly well they played, they did not need to carry on like pork chops.
stephen black was unbelievable in those first 4 minutes after half time...broke our backs...the sixers fought on bravely like a good team does, but the damage was done.

Reply #23631 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Sorry people but I was out of town and didn't see the game. What actually happened?

Reply #23643 | Report this post

white honky  
Years ago

with his hair kerle is looking for a place in red hot chilli peppers.

hill had his glory and got his money's worth - by continually baiting the crowd

unfortunately it is this sort of "I'll take you on" arrogance that can make champions

all i can say is wait for your chance adelaide - and give as good as what you got

Reply #23645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop bitching and moaning adelaide fans! when Hit the road jack is played, it's not like the sixer fans clap the opposition player who has foul out, and if they do, its in a antagonistic sort of way. so take what you got , grin and bear it and wait until next year!

Reply #23671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the court Kerle is a great player and his personality sometimes gets him into trouble, but I know simon well as a friend. I was lucky enough to meet him one day after a game in Adelaide and he was willing to talk to me and get to know me. Since then, he has always cared, given us basketball uniforms, his shoes which he scored 49 points in and even rang us on Christmas day to simply say hi. His on the court gestures are sometimes out of place, but off the court he is a wonderful human being and if other high profile players even cared about their fans and gave attention to them, they would have many more followers.

Reply #25539 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

im a liverpool fan in the epl our club has a strong history of hooliganizm, when kerle and hill started carrying on i want to riot especially since they had chairs near the brisbane race which are so easy to throw then wil see if they are still so good

Reply #25809 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Dont forget Rucker ... he was getting pretty firey ... he had to be restrained before the game even finished ... He apparently took exception to being called "a has-been"
The sixers cheer squad were calling him "old and ugly" .. was quite amusing to see him react so seriously to it all.

Hill was the main w*nker of the night.. he got beaten all night .. got a couple of uncontested shots and talked trash to the crowd.. Serves him right being booed... boo hoo Brisbane!

Reply #25821 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754