lethal5
Years ago

Celtics re-sign "Big Baby" Davis to 2 year deal

Boston has re-signed Glen "Big Baby" Davis to a 2 year deal worth about $6 million.

The Celtics now have great depth at the forward postion & a good mixture of youth & experience. They now have Big Baby (23yo), Sheldon Williams (26yo), Rasheed Wallace (35yo), & of course K.G & Paul Pierce.

The full article is on nba.com

Topic #20708 | Report this topic

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

The nickname "Big Baby" just flat out irrates the hell out of me.

I wanted to punch something every time dickhead Doug Collins called him that during the playoffs.

Reply #246177 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice to see Davis finally signed. His presence ensures the Celtics have a more than dependable guy who can cover for Perk, KG or Wallace if any of them go down for an extended period.

Assuming Marquis Daniels signs later this week as agreed, the Celtics could hardly have hoped for a more successful off-season.

Reply #246182 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

He has a weight bonus in his contract, worth about $500k.

Reply #246183 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I thought someone was going to overpay him, but 3 mil a year is reasonable for big baby.

You definitely aren't winning deep into the playoffs with Davis or Williams in your starting lineup, so their chances still hinge on the health of Garnett and others.

Reply #246185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice work, good for the C's. Should make the deep playoff push much better.

Reply #246187 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Olskoolgamer, I agree with you that the Celtics wouldn't win it all with Davis & Williams as their starters.... but you could say that about every single team in the NBA. If starters go down with a major injury then every team needs to rely on their back-ups... & those 2 guys are fairly decent back-ups! You're not going to get someone of K.G's ability to sign on as a back-up for $3 mill.

And yes I agree, $3 million per season seems fair for Davis... comparable to others in the league of his standard & ability.

Reply #246204 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Pretty deep roster now for the C's:

C - Perkins/Williams/Davis
PF - Garnett/Wallace/Scalabrine
SF - Pierce/Daniels/Walker
SG - Allen/Allen/House/Daniels
PG - Rondo/House/Giddens

Ins:
Wallace
Williams
Daniels

Outs:
Moore
Marbury
Pruitt

Still think they need a bit of backcourt help though...

Reply #246209 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hustle, another PG for cover would be nice, but its not the end of the world if they go into the season using House/ Daniels/ Ray for spot mins there. Ainge may wait to pick up someone late in the season if he is concerned that the Celtics will be exposed by ball pressure in the playoffs.

With the lineup, there's no way Williams is ahead of Davis in the rotation. He probably won't even be ahead of Scal. I'd say he is strictly training fodder and insurance in the event that one of Perk, Wallace or KG go down.

Also, House will get most of the backup minutes for Ray, followed by Daniels. Ainge has been trying hard to move Tony Allen and he is clearly on his way out of Boston as soon as his contract can be moved, so he may even drop behind Giddens in the pecking order at SG.

Reply #246224 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Cheers Beantown - Yeh I wasnt sure where Williams would be, but on reflection it would be unlikely that he would steal minutes from Wallace/Perkins/Davis at the C spot.

I think Tony A is out as soon as they can get some sort of value back for him!

Reply #246252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754