Anonymous
Years ago

U21 Div 1/ Senior Div 2 - Summer season

With the new summer program is it correct that juniors cannot play both divisions

Topic #20713 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div 1 20's and Div 2 men are on the same night.
No, you cannot play both

Reply #246179 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

That is correct. They have put both the Division 2 and the under 20 Division one men on the Tuesday night, which has to be the stupidiest idea in history!
During Summer these days a lot of the senior players want time off, therefore a lot of clubs give the opportunity to either the Under 20's or Under 18's to play some Senior basketball to try and give them a taste and develop them further.
Now, players in the under 20 division one team will either play Under 20's or just Senior ball, not both. Will weaken the Under 20 Division one teams and overall competition quite considerably, or will make it hard for clubs to field a Division 2 side. Will potentially force lower teams to put players up from Division 3/4/5 into the next division, therefore again, lowering the standard of Division 2.
Would have been a much smarter idea to simply play the Division 2 Senior Men and Women on the Wednesday so the Under 20's could play both.

Reply #246192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares

Reply #246194 | Report this post

bsa groupie  
Years ago

can you play reserves and u20 div 1 or 2 - I thought u20 div 2/3 was wednesdays and u20 d1 tuesdays

Reply #246202 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Believe they have changed Senior Div 2 and U20 to Tues/Wed nights.

Reply #246206 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

This is just the first of many issues to arise for clubs out of this rushed through Competition Restructure.

Reply #246212 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

can you play u/20 one week then play seniors the other week if needed ?

Reply #246218 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

As far as I can work out, playing in different weeks is not a problem.

Reply #246221 | Report this post

Europa  
Years ago

May see the death of the U20 competition as we know it.

With these people running the sport from the top down, who will take responsibility when BSA is broke again in 5 years.

Reply #246238 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

They want U23 Youth League instead of U20/U21.

Reply #246244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually with these rules I think we may retain more players. Some U20's miss out as a senior and U20 spot is taken by the same person reducing number of available spots.

Reply #246248 | Report this post

Europa  
Years ago

Except for all those U20 players who are still in High school which will increase the drop out rate and along with the number of U20 players in the DIv 2 or Div 3/4 comeptition destroy the U20 comeptition.

So in 2/3 years time when the U23 concept gets up, they will not have anybody left to play in it.

Reply #246251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just thought I'd add my point of view as a parent of two Under 20 aged basketballers.

Under 20's who still attend High School aren't on a 8:30am - 3:30pm schedule like most schoolies. To suggest they'd drop out because of the need to play on a weeknight IMO is short sighted. Most would currently train or play socially on school nights, or do one of many other activities available to kids of that age. Mine certainly aren't at home studying all afternoon and in bed by 8:30pm.

The one issue will be transport distances.

I would suggest moving away from Friday nights will be a positive move.

One of my two kids quit earlier this year simply because he was sick of missing all of his group's social gatherings. For so long he's been ostracized from his school friends because he's never available to attend parties, movie/DVD nights, sleepovers etc as he's had basketball. Since quitting he's connected much more closely with his school friends and as a result his performance and grades at school have improved. He still plays basketball and football at a lower level so time wise he's no better off now than he was before when he played District basketball.

My other son takes his basketball much more seriously. He now finds Under 20's on a Friday night a chore as his focus is on ABA/Reserves. He plays on Friday night because his club makes him, not by choice. While he obviously enjoys playing, the motivation to go out to a Stadium for a Friday night, (sometimes on the other side of the city)certainly isn't there. In speaking with him he'd much rather play on a Tuesday or Wednesday night than a Friday night.

I am not sure how Under 20's will affect Reserves. It seems they will be on the same night and therefore he will have to choose between the two. If it's left to him to choose he'll play Reserves and as a result free up a space in Under 20s for someone else. Could an Under 18 play Under 20's on a Tuesday night and Under 18s on a Friday night? Just a question.

Anyway there's one parent's thoughts on the subject.

Reply #246254 | Report this post

Mimas 79  
Years ago

Anonymous #p246254,

I agree, the U20s move seems good as it may retain more U20s for the sport.
Will it make U20s more interesting? I'm not sure. Depends on the choices made by clubs with regard to reserves and U20s.

The U23 comp seems a bad idea. It will decrease the number of spots available in the competition for U20scoming through. This will most likely help U20 players to decide that it is time to leave the sport.
True, it will create more spots for U21-U23, so the players that didn't quit in U20s may be retained a bit better. However, these spots are very uncertain, as every year new U20s come through, there is no team stability, and no guarantee that there will be a spot for you next year.

To retain more players, BSA needs create more real opportunities in the senior competition, which is currently restricted by the number of courts.

Clearly, there is a demand for more teams in the seniors. There are two ways of making sure that the possibilities meet the demand:
- create the opportunity (provide more courts)
- decrease the demand
(discourage juniors and young seniors)

With what BSA is doing in the juniors and will do with the U23 comp, they seems to have opted for the latter. That is unfortunate.

Reply #246285 | Report this post

Europa  
Years ago

Anon #246254,

You have highlighted the problem. You son will play reserves and not U20's. Great. Opportunity for some one else.

Problem is, at your club you have 3 kids in the same boat. This will be more likely for the weaker clubs But at another club, they don't, and all their div 1 kids move through to U20's. More likely the strongert clubs.

Now we have a greater talent disparity between teams and therefore more blowouts. Therefore weaker comp and less interested participants. In the girls, who will play U20 div 1. They will all be playing reserves. And therefore, if all the div 2 players are in div 1, what happens to the 3 teams left?

This will also have an effect moving down.

Your club has 24 kids in U20s. Problem is 3 play reserves and therefore are unable to play U20's. And 2 want to play Div 4 men. Now you only have 2 teams. Whats more, you've gone from 3 teams of 8, to 2 teams of 9 and 10. And rather than having a div 3 team where the weaker kids can play, they have to play div 2.

So the 17 year old fresh from U18's on Friday night, still doing year 12 has to decide whether driving from Morphetvale to Hillcrest(casue other stadiums are full with social negating a home and away or reigional comeptition) for an 8.40pm U20 div 2 game is worth it when they have a Year 12 assignment due the following day. Getting home at 11.30pm after leaving at 7.00pm.

I know what I would choose! These issues don't happen on a Friday night.

Reply #246290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a club has players choosing between U20s or Reserves than those players would more likely be the best players in the U20 competition and therefore if they ended up playing Reserves and not U20s the U20 teams would become more even not the other way round.

Even using the current competition as an example, the strongest Under 20 teams have more players playing reserves than the weaker ones do.

Also its my understand the Under 23 competition was going to replace the Reserve comp, not the Under 20 competition. Therefore providing more opportunity for players moving into Under 20s (as some 18/19 year olds) will be playing Under 23s not Under 20s and also giving those 22 - 20 greater opportunity to continue their basketball careers.

I agree the one downside of all this is the travel issue. But again I know my son would rather travel on a Tuesday night than do it on a Friday night. Exams and assignments are an issue no matter what night games are played on.

Reply #246299 | Report this post

Mimas 79  
Years ago

Anon #246299

You are wrong about the plans re U20s.

I quote from the competition structure plan:

"Basketball SA will gradually transition to a system in which it only runs:
• one senior division
• one Under 23 division
• two junior divisions in each of the Under 12, 14, 16 and 18 age groups"

U20s conspicuously absent.
A evry clear reduction in opportunities to play district in every age group

Reply #246327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it the intention U20 players must play U20 and not senior reserves in the Summer season?

If this is the case surely the U20 competition will be strengthened by the returning U20 players from the senior teams making for a much improved U20 competition and give these young players more court time to improve their skills before selection and elevation to the senior teams

Reply #246560 | Report this post

Europa  
Years ago

No, not at all, each club will have it's own method of organising teams.

Hence the U20 comp will suffer from players not being able to play in it.

Reply #246561 | Report this post

Daniel Delasio  
Years ago

Reply #325189 | Report this post

Daniel Delasio  
Years ago

Reply #325190 | Report this post

Daniel Delasio  
Years ago

If l play basket ball and in the team be good to me pass the ball to me

Reply #325192 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754