hhh
Years ago

How did Andrew Gaze play NBL then college?

1984 i think andrew was 18 and played in the nbl and averged 29.1 points a game roughly that is.

i just watched the setan hall doco and that was in 89'

the rules must have been diffrent becasue a guy to play in a national leauge and win mvp's ect and they 5 years later seems amazing

does anybody know how this happend?

rules weren't around? or just no enforcerd??

Topic #20732 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That rule didn't exist back then. It's only in recent times that if you've previously played professionally that you can't play in college.

From memory I think CJ Bruton went and played at a Junior College after having played in the NBL too.

Reply #246385 | Report this post

noah  
Years ago

I thought that it was that Gaze played for free for a long period of time because of family stuff (his dad was coach. Was his mum was also doing something with the tigers??) I reckon he started getting paid in the 90's or something.

As for CJ, i thought he went to college but got rejected after they found out that he played a couple of games for a NBL club (wildcats??)and subsequently paid for those games.

Don't quote me on this though.

Reply #246387 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

He did say in his autobiography that for many years he didn't get paid to play for Tigers.

Reply #246396 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

What about Ben Madgen? He was on the sixers list and then went and played Collage ball? or was he one of the development players, and not paid??

Reply #246397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

development player

Reply #246398 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I think Lindsay was putting money into a family trust so it wasn't actually getting paid

Reply #246402 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Andrew only started getting paid by the Tigers in 1990 after his return from the US.

Reply #246408 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Should read 1989.

Reply #246411 | Report this post

Hoosiers  
Years ago

He came home that year and was beaten in the 89 VBA final by the seabl ballarat miners. This would have to be Australia's answer to that Hoosiers movie as the Tigers played their full NBL team and were beaten on their home court

Reply #246433 | Report this post

stingray  
Years ago

Gaze was paid as a part owner, not a player. There were rules that restricted this back then also, Lindsay was just super smart about his planning for Andrew.

CJ had a full ride at Kansas until the Wildcats put in a call and ruined it with incorrect alligations. CJ never touched a cent of his 94 Wildcats payments. x% went straight to his mum Trish's account paid as lodging and x% went to his private school to cover tuition etc. The Wildcats screwed him on that. CJ is a winner though, he went to Indian Hills JUCO instead and won the national championship with mvp honors.

I Can knot spwell twoday...

Reply #246506 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

So the rumors of CJ and the alligator are true then??

Reply #246518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what was his moms name

Reply #278193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754