Isaac
Years ago

Boomers squad named for Sydney camp

The next Boomers camp sees Brad Newley and Mark Worthington join the team and the list also adds Ater Majok, AJ Ogilvy and Liam Rush as the side prepares for the upcoming series against New Zealand:

Australian Boomers squad for Sydney Camp Aug 18-22:
Name / Most recent college or pro team / Junior Association / Age / Height

Aron BAYNES / Washington State University (USA) / Cairns, QLD / 22 / 208cm
Jason CADEE / Australian Institute of Sport / Bankstown, NSW / 18 / 185cm
Peter CRAWFORD / Townsville Crocodiles / Mt. Isa, QLD / 29 / 193cm
Matthew DELLAVEDOVA / Australian Institute of Sport / Maryborough, VIC / 18 / 189cm
Oscar FORMAN / New Zealand Breakers (NZ) / Sturt, SA / 27 / 206cm
Adam GIBSON / Gold Coast Blaze / Launceston, TAS / 22 / 188cm
James HARVEY / Gold Coast Blaze / Perry Lakes, WA / 30 / 196cm
Joe INGLES / CB Granada (Spain) / Southern, SA / 21 / 203cm
Nathan JAWAI / Dallas Mavericks (USA) / Cairns, QLD / 22 / 208cm
Ater MAJOK / University of Connecticut (USA) / Macarthur, NSW / 22 / 208cm
Aleks MARIC / KK Partizan Belgrade (Serbia) / North Sydney, NSW / 24 / 211cm
Damian MARTIN / Sydney Spirit / Gloucester, NSW / 24 / 188cm
Brad NEWLEY / Basiktas (Turkey) / Forestville, SA / 24 / 195cm
Luke NEVILL / University of Utah (USA) / Stirling, WA / 23 / 216cm
A.J. OGILVY / Vanderbilt University (USA) / Hills, NSW / 21 / 210cm
Liam RUSH / Sundsvall Dragons (Sweden) / Broome, QLD / 27 / 198cm
Stephen WEIGH / Perth Wildcats / Rockhampton, QLD / 22 / 202cm
Mark WORTHINGTON / Melbourne Tigers / Bunbury, WA / 26 / 202cm

Average age: 23 years 5 months
Average height: 200cm (6'6")

The BA press release suggests that New Zealand will probably run Pero Cameron, Kirk Penney, Lindsay Tait, Mika Vukona and Craig Bradshaw as its starting five.

Topic #20738 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe INGLES / CB Granada (Spain) when did he sign there/for how long, i must have missed it.

Reply #246417 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

I thought Pero retired internationally.

Where will this camp be taking place do you know Isaac?

Reply #246418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Kings School in Parramatta, Aug 18-22.

Anon, he signed with them recently.

Anyone else interested to see if Majok can actually play or if it's all a bit of hype?

Reply #246419 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

So who will make the team?

- Wortho in exchange for Barlow who has headed to Europe already.
- I reckon Harvey to step into the side in place of Cadee and Newley in for Crawford
- Does Maric get a guernsey in place of Nevill or Baynes?
- Does Dellavedova stay in the team as the backup PG?

My team from the list of available players:

Maric / Ogilvy / Nevill
Jawai / Worthington
Ingles / Forman / Weigh
Newley / Harvey
Gibson / Dellavedova

Both Baynes and Ogilvy can play PF and C. Ogilvy is a better all-round player than both Nevill and Baynes. Ogilvy has the best post game of the lot and both he and Nevill can also hurt teams from the outside whereas Baynes is a better defensive option and is more limited in offense.

Forman deserves to kleep his palce after a great South American tour, and I reckon Delly will hold his place due to the lack of quality senior PG's available and the promise he showed in Sth America.

This team will be good enough to get over the line against New Zealand. Shutting down Penney will be the key (as always).

Reply #246422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually can play.

Ive been paying attention to the Pro-Am games hes been playing over in the States in the off season and hes really been doing well. He'd was focusing on different styles of play in every game, 1 game he focused on his fadeaway jumper, another his defense and another in the paint.

Apparently there was 1 game where he had over 13 blocks, there was mention he might be as good of a shot blocker as Thabeet but then again maybe thats some hype

Reply #246424 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

UConn head coach Calhoun would not have pushed for Majok to remain at school if he didn't think he would be any good. However as he has yet to even play one college game yet, there is zero chance in him being selected to oplay against NZ. A development opportunity more likely.

Could it be a ploy to ensure that he represents Australia down the track instead of being "poached" back by his native Sudan should he prove a hit? Maybe it is also a bit of a publicity stunt? ...who knows!

Reply #246425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there's one thing that Coach Calhoun does, its he can turn raw players into NBA stars.

If Ater players at least 2 years with the Huskies, he'll be get drafted into the NBA, seriously, hes a 6'10 very long forward who plays like a wing, can play the 3-4-5. His main downside is he hasnt played enough organised ball, he doesnt have the basketball IQ yet from playing high level games since he's had to sit out much of the last year and a half, and he only started playing basketball when he was like 14-15.

Reply #246426 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LC, not Martin ahead of Dellavedova though he seems to have gone alright in South America?

If Rush is definitely available, he could steal that spot from Oscar? Worthington is the other SF/PF.

Hard to know how Baynes went on the tour - seemed to struggle with foul trouble a bit.

Reply #246429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where are all the victorians?

Reply #246430 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

That's a pretty young Boomers squad.
I think it'll be a close 2 games between the two.
Not sure about the BA press release but I'm pretty sure Bradshaw won't be playing and is heading to Sth Korea this weekend.
Should be a good series either way.

Reply #246431 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Martin could get a gig for sure. I reckon Oscar will hold his palce after a good showing in Sth America despite his injury niggles.

Baynes plays physical and was known to pick up some fouls now and then in college hoops. He has a big strong body and uses it - he has a rep for playing good D in the interior although he is not a renown shot blocker. I'm not sure if he can hold his place against the likes of AJ who oozes class and is well polished, and Aleks Maric who has a little more experience and is a more rounded player.

Reply #246434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Sudan even have a basketball team at present?

Reply #246438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric v Bradshaw
Jawai v Pero
Ingles v Vukona
Newley v Penny
Gibson v Tait

Looking at the lineups it could turn into a tough series and not the romp many are expecting..

Reply #246440 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Good move by Basketball Australia to include Ater Majok in the squad. Get him in there early to ensure he will chose to play for Australia in a few years when he is a very good player

Reply #246446 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Good move by Basketball Australia to include Ater Majok in the squad. Get him in there early to ensure he will chose to play for Australia in a few years when he is a very good player

Reply #246447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maric v Bradshaw
Jawai v Pero
Ingles v Vukona
Newley v Penny
Gibson v Tait

Looking at the lineups it could turn into a tough series and not the romp many are expecting.."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ogilvy>>>>Bradshaw
Jawai>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pero
Ingles>>>>>>>Vukona
Newley=Penney
Gibson>>>Tait

Reply #246449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley=Penney

LOL!

Reply #246451 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not quite. Penney is one of the best players in the league, if not the best. Newley is quality, but he gets beaten at that spot.

Then, I don't know if you could give Jawai that big an advantage over a very experience and strong Pero. Jawai's advantage is his combination of size and speed, but Pero has the same pairing IMO.

I do think Gibson is usually underrated and is clearly superior to Tait.

NZ starts to drop off the pace after their starters though.

Reply #246453 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

How many games in the series?

Reply #246458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 game in sydney, 1 in wellington

Reply #246460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, I've seen the QE2 turn faster than Pero. Jawai's got him licked there and Pero's a scrub these days, if Jawai's even half serious he'll murder him.

Reply #246461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My Boomers team without Andrew Bogut, Sam MacKinnon, David Andersen, Matthew Neilsen, Patrick Mills and David Barlow in consideration:

Adam Gibson, Matthew Dellavedova, Joe Ingles, James Harvey, Peter Crawford, Liam Rush, Brad Newley, Nathan Jawai, Aleks Maric, Mark Worthington, Aaron Baynes, Luke Neville.

Not sure if Dellavedova can keep up his international form. May need to find another point guard.

Pete Crawford can defend the best of any perimeter guard not including Gibson. Worthington only scrapes in for mine.

Reply #246472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:42 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754