Isaac
Years ago

Funny 36ERS fail to stop the Bullets, bow out of finals

The Adelaide 36ERS have had their 2005 finals campaign ended by a Brisbane Bullets team who posted four strong quarters to finish 110-125 winners.

Adelaide scored at 46% from the field and won the rebound count but gave up too many open shots from outside as Brisbane knocked in 17 of 42 threes to end the 36ERS season early. Stephen Black was deadly for the visitors, consistently nailing the big shots to finish with 23 points and 8 assists.

David Cooper faced the team with which he began his NBL career and brought his best game to the court, dropping in 17 points at 73% as well as grabbing 8 rebounds and 4 substantiable blocks. He had two solid dunks that both drew fouls early in the game. Another highlight was Oscar Forman's 16 points (and 7 rebounds) which included 3 final quarter threes as Adelaide were striving to reign in a Bullets lead that surpassed 20 points at times.

The first quarter was even after an initial 36ERS burst, but the Bullets looked the stronger team as Ben Castle swished 3 threes to lead all scorers. Willie Farley posted 8 points of his own despite defensive pressure on his way to 19 points, 7 assists and 7 rebounds. Brett Maher and Dusty Rychart struggled to make the most of early opportunities.

The second term saw the Bullets outscore Adelaide by 10 points, 31-41, courtesy of Bobby Brannen, Simon Kerle and Bryant Matthews. The shining light for the 36ERS was the injection of rookie Brad Hill into his first NBL finals game and the results were instantaneous -- 10 points in the quarter which included both of his three point attempts and both free throws.

Besides that, however, little went the way of the home team with Brett Maher still not finding his true form, and Willie Farley disappearing amidst stifling defense. At the main break, the Bullets held a 56-67 lead.

Brisbane improved their lead to beyond 20 points during the third period, much to the dismay of the Adelaide crowd. The 36ERS did not give in and mounted a challenge to claw back to within 10 points in the final quarter-- Maher scoring 11 second half points, and Forman 12. Rychart toiled under the basket and was rewarded with 16 rebounds all up, and eight trips to the charity stripe.

Unfortunately, Adelaide could not combine their offensive efforts with stops at the defensive end to really be a threat and when Bryant Matthews posterised a valiant Cooper making an otherwise superb block attempt, the game was over.

With mostly even statistics across the board, the glaring difference was in the three pointer count -- the 36ERS simply gave up too many open looks at the basket from outside, and the Bullets took advantage via the accuracy of Black (5 of 11) and Kerle (4 of 10). In particular, Black's three long bombs in the third drove the lead out and was what gave Adelaide such a tough deficit to regain.

It was also a case of playing well but being beaten by a team playing a superior game on the night. The 36ERS total of 110 points would have been a winning one in most games during the regular season, yet the Bullets scored at least 26 points in each of four quarters. Adelaide gave up 125 points and needed to shoot at around 55% to surmount that.

36ERS 110 (Rychart 21, Farley 19, Cooper 17, Forman 16, Maher 15, Hill 10, Rees 7, Holmes 5)
Bullets 125 (Brannen 25, Black 23, Matthews 21, Kerle 17)

FG%: 46% - 48%
3P%: 39% - 40%
FT%: 63% - 59%

Rebounds: 51 - 46 (Rychart 16, Cooper 8, Farley 7, Forman 7, Maher 6)

Fouls: 23-25
Assists: 26-34 (Maher 12, Farley 7)
Blocks: 4-2 (Cooper 4)
Steals: 3-8 (Rychart 2)

Turnovers: 15-6 (Farley 5, Maher 4)

Boxscore

Topic #2074 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't mention it in the report as I'm not sure if I can be publically critical of referees in a semi-official capacity, but the consistency of the refereeing was not very good. We lost the game by giving up too many open threes, but the referees were the Robin to that Batman.

As an example, look at that very, very light contact by Hill called as a foul. And compare that to some of the holding let go (by either team). It must be very difficult for a player to adjust to a game when they don't know what type of refereeing they are adjusting to.

Thanks to the Sixers for the tickets to the game and the opportunity to contribute match reports during the season -- great seats tonight.

Overall, I thought that the big three played well, but just not well enough. We needed more points on the board from each to win that, given that Brisbane were just pouring in the points.

To be honest, I thought that some weak off-ball defense from Rychart and Farley gave the Bullets too many opportunities. Farley's on-ball defense is quality, but I think he might underestimate situations when left switching or chasing down players.

Cooper was fantastic; by far, the best game I've seen him play. He's a smart player and works around his deficiencies to make the most of his skills. Put points on the board, and those blocks were brilliant. It's a real shame that Matthews managed that massive dunk on him because Cooper had a great position and just missed the block.

Great game from Oscar to finish an improved season. 9 points in the last quarter and almost looked like our best chance at bringing in that lead. Something that stands out to me from the boxscore is the empty space under turnovers in line with Cooper and Oscar's names. Tense finals game and they both looked after the ball.

Reply #23395 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

It was a hard game to watch as a 6ers fan. Brisbane has the same characteristic as Adelaide in that if they play well they can beat any team in the league. Their scorching 3pt shooting and ability to find the open man was uncanny last night.

I agree that the refereeing was inconsistant but didn't come close to deciding the game. One specific play i'd like to ask those of you who were at the game for clarification, just before the 'posterization', it looked on Fox like Simon Kerle had completely laid out Brett Maher to steal the ball, which lead to Matthews' dunk. Fox's many replays didn't quite go back far enough, just showing Kerle collecting the ball with Maher on the ground. Did any of you at the game have a good angle of this?

Superb game by Coops and Oscar, both tried valiently to no avail.

The sportsmanship of Kerle and Hill was unfortunate, but you've gotta expect that from Kerle as the player everyone loves to hate. I still think Reggie Miller does it with alot more class.

Reply #23454 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Looking at the finals schedule in the Advertiser today, really points out how unbalanced the finals format really is. There's been much debate about how coming 4th can lead to an instant knockout of the finals. I don't know if its hit any of you but it really made me feel how unfair the whole system is. What struck me for the coming semi finals was the fact that Wollongong (2nd) vs Townsville (3rd) was reasonable for one series, but then Sydney (1st) vs Bullets (5th) was very much unbalanced. One would have to ask what happened to 4th. It is so unfortunate and unfair that the 4th team can be completely disposed of in 1 game. Especially when they not only played well all season, but actually played well in the knockout game (score of 110). For some reason, the Gods were smiling on Brisbane on Friday night and as a result of that, our championship aspirations went flying out the door.

Reply #23654 | Report this post

Adelaide Dude  
Years ago

It's gonna sound like sour grapes after the event but this finals setup is rooted. To finish 3rd or 4th and have the chance to be knocked out by the 8th placed team on a losing record in 1 is just poxy.

Nothing against brisbane, they played the lights out and the sixers
were unable to adjust, but the finals system is just stuffed now with the exception of the 5 game GF series idea.

NBL, get it fixed.

Reply #23661 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Would be nice now if Townsville win the GF but as much as I hate Brisbane to win, they need to justify the knockout against us. It would be a disgraceful waste of all the good work the Sixers did throughout the season, if Brisbane can't carry it all the way through. We would have had a good chance against any of the other teams still in with a chance so our instant elimination needs to be justified.

Reply #23682 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

After much discussion about finals format and the consensus being that it is not a fair system to have instant knockout for 3rd or 4th placed teams, I was curious to know how the NBL came about this format and if there was likely to be any changes to it. I sent an email to Marc Howard and this is his reply;

"Finals formats are always contentious. Some people like their team having a week off to rest up, whilst others think they get rusty. Some like single game series, some like best-of formats. However the current system was originally approved by a vote of all teams and then reaffirmed prior to this season. The teams that finish third and fourth still have a significant advantage over the teams below them. They need to win just one game, playing at home against a team that has played just a few days before, to advance to the Semi Finals."

This has led to more questions being asked as to who was the representative of each team that approved it. From listening to Phil Smyth after Friday's game, he seemed much against this format and even mentioned comments from Lindsay Gaze who did not seem to think highly of the format. A particular Sixers player also stated his disagreement to this format. I have not come across a single person who likes this current format, so I'm still curious to know who would approve it. There was no mention in the reply as to whether the format would change, but I guess they will follow the same procedure before the next season starts to get clubs approval.

Once again, while some of my questions were answered, even more questions were raised.

Reply #23910 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754