Fezlington
Years ago

Under Six Foot league in Perth

Just saw this on the Wildcats website.....im all for it, bring it to Victoria...lol

Under 6 foot Basketball Competition

Why should the tall guys have all the fun? Everyone should be able to play above the rim! After years of frustration as a basketball player under 6 feet tall, Michael Clarke decided to do something about it and create a league where guards can post up, be on the receiving end of an alley-oop, and finish a drive to the hoop with a jam.

U6F Basketball is an innovative new league for adult, male basketball players under 6 feet tall in Western Australia. Here's the basic concept:

* players must be 182cm tall or less in their playing shoes
* games will be half-court, 3-on-3
* the rings will be lowered to 9 feet
* a size 6 ball will be used

These variations to the regular game will level the playing field. They will effectively add a foot to each player's height and allow them to grip the ball like the tall guys. Initially, elite players will be targeted to ensure a high standard of play. Preference will be given to players who are registered with an SBL/WABL club. Teams will need between 3 and 6 players while also providing a scorer for each game.

Topic #20746 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

discrimination at its finest !

Reply #246474 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

How is that discrimination?

it's a bit like having a weight class in boxing.

There was talk of something similar many years ago in Volleyball, but I don't think it took off after they brought the libero rule (allowing one player to stay in the backcourt, giving shorties a chance to play at a higher level) in.

Reply #246475 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

That is way they have social basketball, so if you can't play at the highest level you can still play. I think it is for guys who have more than just height issues.

Reply #246476 | Report this post

Guy Smiley  
Years ago

At least you will know where all the little angry men are.

Reply #246477 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Personally I'm 6'5" so it doesn't apply to me, but I'm all for it.
I've played with guys who are under 6ft and have serious game compared to other guys I've played with who are taller and nowhere near as talented but picked moreso for their presence on court.
I hope it takes off in more than just Perth and would be interesting to see if it takes off.

Reply #246482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So should there be a weight determined league? No overweight people or no people weighing under a prescribed weight?

Reply #246483 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Pero Cameron wouldn't like that Anonymous

Reply #246484 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Anon weight is something that's a choice- height is something you don't get to control so they're a bit different.
Like I said, some people play well regardless of their height but get overlooked for being too short and can have more talent than people that are taller than them- hardly their fault if they didn't choose their height.
They're hardly advocating having a separate comp for people of different weight, eye colour, hair colour, etc- just recognising that shorter players have talent too and don't (or shouldn't) have to be giants to play the game.

Reply #246487 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

there is nothing innovative at all about this ... its been done to death in other places. It rarely has a long life. nothing shits me more than people claiming to be innovative when they are copying or rehashing.

Reply #246489 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I think we'll let Clarke and those that want to get involved decide.

Reply #246490 | Report this post

under 6 foot, a white should join.

Owned

Reply #246530 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I thought old Forestville stadium had a league like that?

From memory, the Filipinos would dominate cos they had great hops!

Reply #246557 | Report this post

MiniFisher  
Years ago

What about for us guys that are 6'3 but too slow to be a guard and too short to be a forward. Ahh bugger it - I'll stick to putting up the 3's

Reply #246564 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Imagine the agro during those games considering they would all suffer from short man syndrome

Reply #246577 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

This is just like Slamball but for shorter fuckwits.

Reply #246603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even girls play on a 9 foot hoop...this is so lame. It sounds like a very temporary fix for little men who want to be big.

I'm 6'1 and I think i'll just stick to playing the game in its purest and most legitimate form

Reply #248949 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

5 dudes all posting up in off keyway with no-one to imbound the ball!

Reply #249091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how old 2 u have to be cause im only 12 years old

Reply #255720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754