Anonymous
Years ago

YAP's that did not get an NBL gig.

The reform process talks about developing a clear pathway for YAP to move into the NBL.
Who are the best Young Australian players NOT to get an NBL gig this season.
Is there any quality out there? Who are they, Any good bigs coming through?
Could we put together a team of players who are not going to college, not at the AIS and under 23. Could they compete against an NBL team? If the answer is no, then we are in trouble.

Topic #20748 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon of the Dragons last season, though he's 24 this year. But lot better player than what he appeared in the NBL.

Reply #246508 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon went to College though at Arizona. He gt precious little court time and has done nothing ever since. Los of potetial that has never been realised - yet.

Reply #246509 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So anon, you want us to name an U23 side...without any current college players, who are not at our elite development centre, or not contracted currently in the NBL...and then you say that if such a side is not competitive in the NBL then we are in trouble.

So to reiterate, we rule out 100+ u23 athletes, probably closer to 200, and we name a team, and if they are not competitive, then the we are in the shitter? (Whereas the reality is that you would NOT expect our national U23 team to beat an NBL side.)

In a country where there are less than 100 athletes in the entire national league?

Do you guys think about what you ask before you post? This is a nonsense proposition.

here's a similarly stupid proposition....would a side named from this years AFL draft beat an AFL side?

Reply #246515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seriously I think Daniel was in similar situation to Barow back in his days. Barlow had little court time in his rookie season too.

Reply #246522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adrien Sturt from the Tigers he signed for two years as the YAP, never given much of a chance in the NBL has totally dominated for them in BigV including top score in game one of the grand final this weekend.
Adelaide had a look but nothing seems to be happening, although I've heard some rumours on Europe.

Reply #246541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, relax mate, there are still NBL teams out there looking to bring in young YAP's, obviously they cant be a YAP if they choose to go to college, mate think before you write. Who are they than? I dont know, thats why I am asking....but in spite of your ranting...obviously you dont know either...Read, just be competitive, not beat an NBL side...who is in the ABA and without a gig, but could be on a roster

Reply #246547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I think HO knows what they're talking about.

And you might want to clarify what you mean by "in trouble".

The U23 side you theorise (excluding signed/AIS/college players) would get thoroughly destroyed by an NBL team and that's no real comment on the state of basketball in this country - it'd actually suggest that the best players are finding opportunities (either NBL or otherwise).

Can you tell us which teams are looking at bringing in YAPs as their U23 player in the ten-man rosters? I'm pretty sure every spot is taken and the best bet for anyone is going to be a development spot now.

Reply #246553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who said anything about 10 man rosters? Again for the dummies...I am not suggesting that they beat NBL teams, I talking about competing in practice, developing themselves.
What you are saying is that there is no-one sitting in the aba, without a job, who maybe could have a spot on a roster of 12. If we have already scraped the bottom of the talent pool then we are in trouble...but I think not, I think that there is some YAP's out there who could push for a spot...what I wanted to know was, who are they, in peoples opinion, what kids have missed out and have the potential to maybe become an nbl player and are not at college or the AIS, but obviously that is to hard for people to write about they would rather argue and stroke their own ego.
Issac, other than the NBL, what opportunities are they finding?

Reply #246610 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What you are saying is that there is no-one sitting in the aba, without a job, who maybe could have a spot on a roster of 12.
Where did I say that? I'm just saying that whether there are or aren't isn't really an indication of the state of Australian basketball.

Your original point was that if we didn't have enough out-of-work players who could be competitive then "we're in big trouble" - why, and since when?!

Reply #246613 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

For the Daniel comment, he's been covered in mud (think it's because he chose college over AIS back in his days), he's done reasonably well in ABA this season top scoring for Sandringham considering the relatively poor coaching. So not quite have done nothing since.

Reply #246615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some players around the country not on a roster that could be in a different circumstance.

Graeme Dann, Rhys Carter, Clint Reed, Scott Cook, Blagoj Janev, John Fitzgerald, Dean Brebner, Justin Brown, David Pollard, Anthony Susnjara.

Just to name a few

Reply #247111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rhys Carter has a gig in Europe. Don't think any of the rest qualify as YAPs.

Reply #247288 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754