TC
Years ago

Where to from here?

What does the future hold for next season after we bowed out of the finals tonight?
Has Brett Maher played his last game for the club and is off overseas? Did anyone notice Willie Farley wave goodbye to the crowd? Was that just a thanks for coming out to watch wave or something more? Will Holmes be resigned or will he go else like Sydney? Will Rees retire? Who will get cut? Who will we try to/need to sign?
I know thats a fair few speculative questions but what direction to people think the club should be heading towards?!

Topic #2075 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

Upstairs after the game tonight, Farley and Cooper both indicated that they want to come back for another season. The same said by Rees, and Forman is happy to have another year on his contract. The general consensus amongst most of the team seems to be that they like playing for Adelaide and want to come back.

Reply #23394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have a "thing" against interviews with sports people (too predictable and bland for the most part) and I don't usually go up to hear the player interviews after the game, but I did tonight.

I caught the tail end of Potsie talking to Phil Smyth, and then the interviews with Cooper, Maher, Farley, Forman and Rees.

Phil mentioned that he thought that the team needed a couple more players to improve on their position this season. He seemed to think that some adjustment to the roster was necessary, but that he didn't expect anything drastic. He commented that Jason Williams had said that he would be leaving the team and appreciated that that made the job easier than him having to be the bearer of that news.

Cooper said that he wasn't a journeyman by choice (Adelaide is his fourth NBL club) and was looking to settle somewhere for his basketball career. He mentioned that he enjoyed the style of game in Adelaide and found that the 36ERS were the most relaxing team to play for.

Maher seemed like he needed a few weeks of sleep after a gruelling season. Said that he'd had a couple of early offers for his basketball future and also mentioned that he was already in negotiations with the 36ERS. He did say, though, that he does have an agent actively pursuing opportunities in Europe.

Farley said that he was happy with his season (rated himself "a 9 out of 10, or maybe a 9.5 or a 10" -- haha) and was eager to settle somewhere with his family. He explicitly stated that he wanted to remain with Adelaide. He also said that this was his first experience with regard to being knocked out of a finals race early.

Forman mucked around a bit and talked about his shooting percentage and the opportunities created by teammates drawing the defense.

Rees was even more of a clown, talking about the udder tugging competitions, and greasing cow teats and whatever else. He thought that he had a season left in him and seemed eager to be re-signed. His back-up plan was to blatantly endorse National Foods products in an attempt to secure a job involving Iced Coffee.

Reply #23399 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

WRT Farley, I think he's given Europe a go, he's tried for the NBA, and he's played a season elsewhere in the NBL and he might just fit best under Smyth. His daughter is three years old and he'd be thinking about school and settling a family.

Import positions give a lot of flexibility in filling roster requirements, but I think Willie has shown more passion than ever before, has played well (bar a couple of games), and really stepped up with Maher out. I'd probably try to get more info about Brett's scenario for 2005/06 before I did anything major, but other than that, I think Willie should be re-signed.

I don't know how many people would NOT re-sign Cooper.

Reply #23400 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

In the press conference, I asked as much as I could abaout Willie and Smyth re-signing (as much as a national audience wanted to hear anyway)

Willie indicarted he definitely wanted to come back, and Phil said his negotiations were going well, laughingly making the comment "if Willie comes back, then I'll come back".

When I asked Willie Phil also made the comment "You will find Willie will quite probably be back".

For my own thoughts, I think Ng played his last NBL game (uni and medical profession beckons), Williams has basically retired, and that 10th man spot thats been rotated through Hambour Gower and Gerlach is also vacant.

Holmes is out of contract, and I would expect will try and test the market, see what interest he can get (I wouldnt be surprised to see him a King or possibly even a Pig next season). Maher's situation is interesting, he would more thank likely get a Europe offer (yet another 12 assist game last night, his 3rd for the season to equal his career best!!), and Dusty will hopefully be back as well. Add Forman and Hill who are contracted, Cooper who saved his best game as a 36er for the last one of the season, and Reesy wanting another year, things look pretty sloid for next season.

Most teams who have gone on to win the championship over recent years have been the ones to keep their core group together.

Reply #23410 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

My Squad next year is

Guards

Mee
Farley
Maher
Hill

Forwards

Nash
Forman
Rychart
Replacement for Jacob

Centre

Coop
Rees

Reply #23415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will nash play? I doubt it.

Reply #23423 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Nash?? hes had his chance genuine nice bloke never fully recovered from the moon boot when he did get on court he looked lost, a pity the injuries happened as i think he would have been awesome for us

Reply #23427 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

First things first we need to sign our coach! The board has to get Phils contract sorted out ASAP so that we can add the final pieces to our puzzle.
Then if Mee is about we try for him as a replacement for Brett. I think that Jacob will be best suited elsewhere, this season he has struggled somewhat and will hopefully flourish in another environment

Reply #23429 | Report this post

mixmasterwipe  
Years ago

How bout the sixers get another big man? Its going to be huge loss if maher goes to europe.Mee is a great player but the sixers dont seem the same without maher in the team.

Reply #23437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, doesn't Holmes have an option?

IMO, Holmes is an asset to the team. Good defender, versatile and stays at 5 under the points cap (big advantage). He's had his critics this year, but consider this -- he did OK and shouldn't be any worse. Still young, still improving. Give him another year if he wants it.

Reply #23445 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I think the big issue is whether or not Rychart is going to be naturalised and qualify to play as an Australian.

If so that would be a huge advantage to the 36ers and give them a lot more flexibility.

Keeping Holmes is a no brainer for the reasons pointed out by Isaac. No point thinking of replacing Holmes with Cat, MacKinnon, etc as not only are they approximately 10 years older, more expensive but are rated much higher on the points system.

I can't think of anyone from the ABA or under 5 point players on other rosters who I would want instead of Holmes.

The following would be my ins and outs.

Staying: Maher, Farley, Rychart, Cooper, Forman, Holmes, Hill and Rees

Out: Nash, Williams, and Ng.

In my opinion if we had Hill for the whole year we would have won an extra couple of games and be in the semi-finals with home court advantage.

We don't need a major overhaul just minor improvements that will come with Hill, Forman and Holmes' continued improvement.

With Nash, Williams and Ng's spots, I would go after a big man (eg a Brannen clone would be nice). If Rychart is naturalised we can go after an import or one of the guys we missed last year such as Moore.

If Maher leaves they you obviously go after Darnell Mee, and if unsuccessful go after an import point guard.

After being so impressed with Hill, I would round out the roster from a couple of guys from the AIS or target one of the many talented big men finishing up their NCAA playing career.

As I've posted before, if there is even a slim chance Schenscher will play NBL he should obviously be the major priority.

I've been so impressed by Hill that I wouldn't be surprised if he is capable of being a quality starter in the NBL next season in any event.

Reply #23453 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i think its time for a clean out of the squad.

Reply #23466 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

i think we should aim to bring back a similar squad to this years!
if dusty is naturalised and mee wants to return i say bring him in, with or without brett, salary cap permitting, and if maher does go to euro then mee should b our number 1 priority or another import point guard 2 play wit willie, wat about wayne turner??
and i hav seen rumours of mee being naturalised is there anytruth to this as it would be easier to fit him in if he is
if mee played for us we he have a reduced point limit since he spent 4 yrs with us previously??

Reply #23471 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

they players i think we should keep well try to keep is

maher, farley, dusty, hill, forman, coops, hambour, reesy.

the players we should look to get are mee, maybe a nother import if dusty get nationallised

Reply #23479 | Report this post

6ersFan  
Years ago

I think it will be disappointing if Holmes leaves the team as he is an asset. Eventhough he has had a few quiet games of late, he has proven to be a quality/reliable player in the first 3/4 of the season.

I say Holmes to stay.

Reply #23486 | Report this post

slip  
Years ago

I think to lose Holmes would be disappointing as he is a top player. Although he has not been in form lately, he played really well in the early part of the minor round which proved he is a great player. He was one of our top scorers and rebounders. I think he is very talented and we would have struggled without him. I hope he signs up again with Sixers.

Reply #23489 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I like Holmes, and I agree he has value to the team...I just think he will shop himself around.

All the talk about Mee is moot. Whilst he is a free agent, he is not naturalised, and therefore still an import. Dusty and Willie should be priorities for us.

Nash was actually training on Thursday, doing some of the early shoots and scrimmages, filling in for Ng who was running late (no doubt uni committments).

Reply #23499 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

really there were very little negatives about this years team. Holmes droped his shooting, and rees started to show his age a little, nothing major. Hill and Oscar both great, i think things look pretty good the only iffy situation is what is going to happen with brett.

Reply #23525 | Report this post

plow king  
Years ago

I feel we are still one really good player off a championship

lack of depth was shown in our team when they matched up on our big 3

temas that did well had 5-6 in form outstanding players

cooper was very good
paul rees as sexual as ever
big 3 all should be back
oscar yes
darren - after he has a good aba season at sturt - should come back
hill yes

Reply #23624 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754