LC
Years ago

Saint Marys lose to Gold Coast

Saint Mary's went down to the Blaze last night, 74-82.

Link to stats: http://linky.com.au/5gdet

Vanderjagt led the Blaze with 22 and Ubaka debuted with 16. Samham led St Mary's with 25 points and 12 rebounds in what was a close game.

St Mary's Blog: http://linky.com.au/ka6ks

Day 9 August 17 (Gold Coast)

After a little beach time and a near death experience for Trey and Omar who had to be rescued by the lifeguards, it was time for game one of our two games against the Gold Coast Blaze in Brisbane. We lost by eight but played pretty well in the second half. They were led by fomer Cal guard Ayinde Ubaka.

Gold Coast Blaze 82, SMC Gaels 74 - Game Stats

The Gaels struggled early, trailing by 12 points at the half, but rallied to make it a game before falling, 82-74 to the NBL's Gold Coast Claze. It was a 2-point game with 48 seconds left, when former Ubaka hit a 3-pointer to stretch the lead to five and the Blaze made all their free throws down the stretch to hold on for the victory.

"The Gaels made a strong second half run behind the play of Omar Samhan who finished with 25 points and 12 rebounds and two blocks. Playing all 40 minutes, McConnell was solid again for the Gaels contributing 15 points and five assists. Trey Anderson chipped in 12 points and Tim Williams added nine points and eight rebounds. Ben Allen pulled down 11 rebounds. Again, Wayne Hunter was exceptional defensively.
Clint Steindl returned to the line-up, playing 14 minutes and hitting a big 3-pointer down the stretch, while playing in his home state of Queensland.
The Gaels will conclude their Australian tour Tuesday night, when they face the Blaze again at 7 p.m.We'll try to end the tour on a winning note and head back to the States the following day."

Topic #20760 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

UGH. Wish I knew this game was on last night :(

Reply #246626 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Kad, game 2 is tonight at TSS if your interested.

Reply #246629 | Report this post

Lints  
Years ago

what time does the game start statman?

Reply #246646 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If you read my orginal post it states it starts at 7pm.

Reply #246648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can watch a replay of last nights game at courtlive.net

Reply #246649 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

tonights game is a bit earlier - tipoff @ 630pm

Normally they run a few minutes late when things are at TSS

FWIW Ive hardly heard any promo for the game so I doubt any huge crowd will arrive. Ill be having a look - but will hve to eave a bit early to get to my own game. Will be interesting to see how good our 2 imports are

Reply #246651 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

I would like to hear a second opinion on the Blaze imports.

After watching the game last night, I don't think too much of them. The guard went ok, but the import big should get the chop quite soon if he doesn't improve dramatically.

Reply #246659 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

I was there last night also Mr bEn and agree re the imports. Joiner, the big guy, didn't show too much really and made a very silly play near the end fouling St Mary's when the Blaze were over the limit and up only a basket or two and put them at the line.

Ubaka made some good plays. I note one play with Petrie made a good no look pass on the break that he should've just put in but put the ball on the floor and dribbled under the hoop. Petrie just stood there shaking his head bewildered as to why he didn't just put it in there and then...

Reply #246661 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

ill be there for tonights game at TSS.

Reply #246662 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Joiner's pedigree isn’t really NBL standard. Wright selected him on the basis of workouts, which is a questionable way of doing it. In Brisbane he picked up two proven NBL quality imports, so his ability to select new talent is still unproven.

Ubaka was a very good college player but hasn’t really found his feet as a pro yet. I suspect getting Cameron, Harvey and Gibson back into the team will take a lot of pressure off though.

Reply #246665 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I was there last night - but left half way through the last 1/ so missed teh comeback win (which I thought was probably undeserved from what I saw) In short I thought we were crap. Admittedly we were without 4 big names (Pero, Gibbo, Vukona and Harvey) but still i expected to see more - a lot more. The imports, Ubaka looks to be able to create off the dribble and should be able to compliment Gibbos more defensive style. Joiner on the other hand is IMO too short, too unfit, too interested in taking ugly jumpshots from the perimeter. He is seriously undersized and doesnt do the hard work (Rosell Ellis style) to make up for his lack of height. Im with Mr Ben on him.
As for the other guys Vandy was good when he got the ball, still needs to be a bit more aggressive when atacking the ring and sometimes threw extra fakes/pivots when not needed. Petrie was short of a run and looked rusty, cetainly has a bit f agro about him which will give the team a bit more backbone than last season. Demos was OK in patches as was Goulding. He thrives on confidence and showed some good court vision and also dropped a couple of long bombs in the face of a SMC defender who he clearly didnt rate (#11 for those there who made Dan Joyce look like Mr Universe)

Obviously things will look vastly different with a full team but there is a LOT of work to be done in the next month if the Blaze want to be serious contenders this season

Reply #246693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754