Quagmire
Years ago

'Sacred Hoops' by Phil Jackson- thoughts?

Hi all,

Just read the Phil Jax book 'Sacred Hoops' and was interested to hear what others thought of it.

I tend to either love or hate a personality, with Phil i often find myself flipping back and forth.

He talks about playing ball the exact way i think it should be played, 5 fingers on a hand and all of that.

Then he boosts his ego by mentioning a coaching thing he did that got the team the win, in overtime no less.

I did really enjoy his veiled comments regarding smoking the chronic, one meeting with Rodman springs to mind.

Anywho, just thought if people had an opinion on him or the book, fire away....

Topic #20767 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since it came out in ยด95 my thought is that you are a slow reader ;)

Reply #246687 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Loved it though it has been some time since I read it! Used many of his guiding principles in my working life to bring teams together.

Reply #246688 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Anon- I had a life in 95. They re-released it recently thats all.

two more notes;

1 He mentions the certain contraversial hard fought Laker win against a quality Sac team in the play-offs as a highlight of his coaching resume.....

2 I find it funny when he talks of giving coaching guidence and a huge pep talk, then mentions the team went on to win in overtime.... overtime? Sounds like 50/50 to me....now if the team went on to obliterate a quality opposition (dirt refs not withstanding) then i would be more convinced of the coaching involved.

Reply #246829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754