curtley
Years ago

Wednesday trivia - Sixth Men

Who is the only player to be selected to an all star team as a 6th man, but to not win the 6th man of the year award?

I believe there is only 1, but I could be wrong.

Topic #20771 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

Actually there are 2 in history and the second one is a bit of a surprise.

Reply #246716 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I'm confused by the question...... If there's 2 all star teams (East and West) then there's 2 All Star 6th men each season. Therefore at least ONE of them, EVERY season, isn't the 6MOTY.

So there's tons of people that meet your criteria??!?

Maybe it's just me.

Reply #246719 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I think what Curtley means is that most players who are selected as All-Stars are starters for their team, but sometimes a player who is a 6th man for thier team gets selected as an All-Star. Of all the players who have been selected to an All-Star team who have been 6th men, all except two have also won the "Sixth Man of the Year" award. Name these two players.

Reply #246723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they're suggesting that they play as sixth man in their non-AS teams.

Reply #246724 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm gonna have a punt and say Chris Gatling

Reply #246725 | Report this post

OT Fan  
Years ago

I often think that being an Allstar isn't such a great feat as some people make out... if you are a starting 5 player, it just means you are most popular!!!

In most cases there are better players not selected for Allstar teams, especially over the past few years, the centres in the West that have missed out completely have been MUCH better than the starter in the East!

My point is also with Yao Ming being the starter for West every year because of the Chinese vote, but not being the best C in the West.

Being an allstar doesn't necessarily mean you are great!

your thoughts?

Reply #246726 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Yes Mantis, that was exactly what I meant. Me sorry, me no speaka da engrish.

Reply #246728 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Chris Gatling is one more, my mistake.

Reply #246730 | Report this post

lloydie  
Years ago

Detlef Schrempf is one, chris gatling the other

Reply #246733 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Yes there are 3, Chris Gatling is one, I've finally done my research properly. The most recent person to have done this is now a perenial all-star to say the least.

Reply #246735 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Detlef schrempf is not one of them, he won 6th man of the year in 93 but also made the all star team that year, in '95 and '97 when he made all star teams he was not eligible to win 6th man of the year. Good guess though.

Reply #246740 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Kevin McHale wouldn't be one would he?

Reply #246748 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Allen Iverson

Reply #246749 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Dennis Rodman in 1990.

Reply #246750 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

How about Ginobili?

Reply #246751 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Ginobli only had one All-Star season (04-05) in which he started every game he played for the Spurs so wasn't a Sixth-Man candidate.

Reply #246753 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Dennis Rodman started 43 of his 82 games in 89-90 so wasn't eligible for the award that season - but only just. The award is only for players who start less than half the games they play in.

Reply #246756 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Kobe bryant is one im pretty sure

Reply #246757 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Finsihed 2nd in the 6th man award in 1998

Reply #246758 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Beantown, he would be. McHale was an All-Star in both 90 and 91 as a Sixth Man, but did not win the Sixth Man award either year, unlike in 84 where he was both an All-Star and Sixth Man award winner.

[Sorry to steal your thunder, Curtley, but I have time on my hands.]

Reply #246759 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Skin for the win: in the 97-98 season, Kobe started two games,one for the Lakers, and one for the West All-Stars.

Reply #246760 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

"I AM THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE"

Reply #246767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

richard hamilton, grant hill, jamaal magloire, ally szczerbiak, anthony mason.

Reply #246783 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Everyone has done very well but Dan Majerle was the other one I was thinking of, as well as Kobe in '98, ironically they were both voted in as starters for their respective all star teams, i think majerle's was in 91 but i could be wrong. Kevin McHale is yet another one I didn't notice, however I believe the only time he achieved this feat was in '91, unless he was eligible in 1990 but didn't even finish in the top 6 in balloting for the 6th man award, which I doubt.

Congratulations Skin, Mantis, Beantown and SVD, i'm surprised no one got Majerle however.

Here are your donuts: 0 0 0 0

Reply #246787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754