boom
Years ago

36ers Questionable Website

Just looked at the current 36ers website and found it to be dramatically lacking!! Compared to other teams like the melbourne tigers it has nothing. It is only one page about ticket info and nothing in regards to player profiles, promotions etc. I know they are very busy getting everything else going but it is nearly season time and websites are a big part of sport these days! perhaps to help them, what would we like to see on this site??? and why is it currently so crap??

Topic #20786 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the new merchandise when it becomes available.

I'd like to make some purchases in this area again and show my 36ers colours on weekends.

Reply #246835 | Report this post

mayhems  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Isaac's working hard to have a pretty damn special website up in the not too distant future. Better to have a holding page up giving the essentials in the meantime, than nothing at all.

I do know that there will be a fair bit of members content on the new site as well, that is being created from scratch.

Reply #246836 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boom, all club websites are being forced under the Sporting Pulse umbrella in the next few days. Not much point spending buckets of money on a site that will get replaced next week. Perth and Wollongong built new sites (and I had started one too) but they will get dumped, unfortunately.

The focus has been on a simple site that provides membership pricing, and then all effort going into the stuff that will run during the season. Once we learnt that the NBL were wanting all sites under the one banner, parts of the old site had been cleaned out or was outdated so we didn't think it was worth going back. Not ideal at all.

The other clubs are still using Sportal as mandated by the league, which the 36ers elected to skip for the past two seasons as there was certain functionality that the Sportal system did not provide. The Sportal sites will get replaced with Sporting Pulse sites next week also.

Hope that explains the situation.

Reply #246840 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Also I think they have been waiting for the NBL as they are coming out with standards for all webpages (I could be wrong about that?).

However, in the mean time their could be a little bit more information I guess but I think it is sufficient as it is currently.

Reply #246841 | Report this post

boom  
Years ago

answers my concerns very well.....look forward to seeing the new and improved website!

also think that people should still give ideas to you guys on what they would like to see on this website! for example i know this is a small lame thing but I always like the players profiles that have all there career stats and stuff but also some funny and interesting questions that the players answer such as: who is your favourite athlete? who is the most annoying team mate and why? who is the best player they have played against?? etc etc

some good pictures of the cheerleaders too maybe!!

Reply #246845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Sportal was mandated by the league but we elected not to follow the mandate. Why do we have to follow the mandate for Sportingpulse or is it contractual now?

Reply #246850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boom

i'm not sure you'll get 'improved' - but you will get 'new'

I'd say places like Adelaide, Woll, Melb & Perth would be able to produce a better product by themselves but the league wants to enforce the one basketball banner - and you can forgive them for that.

as long as BA or the NBL realise that fans want more interactive features, more multimedia, a better online shopfront and more blog type player input, everyone should be happy

Reply #246853 | Report this post

boom  
Years ago

yeah that is what I am talking about....video clips of game highlights, player blogs, online shop, behind the scenes pictures, vouchers you can print off to get 10% off food!, a section for fans to vote on best players for each game, etc, etc make it fun and interactive not just a price guide and a phone number!!

Reply #246858 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boom, thanks for taking that on board - I know what's up there now is not even close to ideal and it's been an awkward off-season, but when you think "Do I spend the next 5 hours bringing back a site that will be up for 20 days, or do I spend it on improving something else?", the latter wins.

Anon, in the past, I put the options to the club and they elected to run the rogue adelaide36ers.com while the NBL handled 36ers.com.au - there were a few mild threats about it from the league, but the club carried on as they wished (Essendon still do the same, going against the AFL and Bigpond successfully!). We had a thing called Club 36 that was fine in theory, but had low pick-up from sponsors despite the club's efforts which was a real shame.

The problem comes in having two sites and the maintenance load and confusion that brings.

This time around, there isn't actually a contractual obligation (since the league-club agreements might've been a bit draft/rushed in putting together the comp this season) for clubs to join the NBL's online network as it will be provided by Sporting Pulse. And, for a long time, we (36ers and myself) did not agree to commit knowing that we had plans we wanted to try that the league could not support in a technical sense. But as time wore on and a decision hadn't been made either way, we were wasting time - I couldn't justify working on a non-NBL site if we were going to change tact.

The decision was ultimately with the club and I provided my guidance/technical opinion. Should I push for a rogue site that could do what I believed would be best for the club, or should we toe the line to provide a consistent look across the club sites? Did I want more guilt trips from the league (thanks Marc! ;)). Did Adelaide want to be the black sheep not cooperating in an era of troublesome Melbourne teams pulling in the other direction?

In the end, two things led me to advise the 36ers to go with the Sporting Pulse network and unfortunately it wasn't through a belief that it'd be best for the club or that the NBL could get anything decent together (yet to see proof of that).

1. If the obligation to join the online network wasn't in the contracts this season, it would most probably be in there next season - meaning that we could spend a lot of hours building up something that might only live for a year.

2. We had a disaster at the office that was pretty stressful and being a stick in the mud (even if it was potentially for the right reasons) pissing off the league paled in comparison.

Reply #246874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'll also add that while working within Sporting Pulse's framework is about as enjoyable as a paper cut, we will be trying for a semblance of cooperation and the league is providing a way for us to try and incorporate a few non-SP things the 36ers and I think could work. Will see what I manage - my fantasy plans and reality are not always friendly!

Reply #246878 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - Essendon miss out on about $100,000 a year in AFL funding by running their Official Website away from Bigpond. However, their website is far superior and quicker to use than any other clubs site which they view as more important in the long run.

I understand however, NBL clubs dont have the same sort of money that AFL clubs have and for the time being its probably best to run with Sporting Pulse. I just hope they are an improvement on Sportal.

Reply #246906 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

I don't believe NBL clubs get any remuneration for being part of the network.

Another provider, another couple years of lost news and historical data.

Some people actually find looking back at old information useful.

Reply #246907 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

So the question arises will

Members Only area on www.adelaide36ers.com

as part of our membership/season ticket still be happening?

Reply #246939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's the plan, and what we're trying to have the NBL allow us to incorporate into the site.

Reply #246966 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Nice - good luck with it! Should be a great addition if it can get done.

Reply #246988 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

I think sporting pulse sites will be basic now and problematic in the future when the NBL wants to change to some other model. These guys are generally about locking in the client and making it hard for them to leave. Who will own the data on the site that is provided by the club? Far from ideal and a definate step backwards by the NBL IMHO.

Reply #247075 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754