B_rett
Years ago

sixers that have to go......

for the sixers to move on next year i belive these players need to go ....
Willams
Gower
Hambour
Rees

I would give Ng one more year to finally step up ...

Maybe even getting rid of jacob homes for some sallery cap space to get a decent center .... and try my dam hardest to get the cat back in town ..

what ya think ???

Topic #2080 | Report this topic

The truth  
Years ago

I agree Willams should have gone along time ago ... id also maybe look at Phil smyths Job ....

Reply #23497 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I'm not saying Smyth needs to go but is it possible that the magic just isn't working anymore? In reality the Sixers simply haven't even come close to a title since the 2002 title run. The Sixers are 1-4 in the playoffs the last 3 years.

We had a great regular season this year and going into the final round the Sixers could have finished as high as 2nd and yet come finals time the we were simply walked over by a very hot team that took our defense apart bit by bit. It hurts, because the Sixers were vastly improved over last year's team yet the result is exactly the same.

I'm not calling for Smyth to go, just thinking outloud.

Reply #23500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jasmine -- the loss of Mark Nash could have easily contributed to a couple of losses. I think we might've been too late to react to injuries, and that the absence of player insurance may have contributed to that. You will recall that the club admin just didn't have the cash to sign replacements for the remainder of the season. I know Hill is not yet a game-winner, but without his spark, I think we'd have seen a different W-L record at season end.

Reply #23502 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Williams is going obviously

But why are people saying that Hambour and Gerlach *have* to go when we have barely seen them play?

Reply #23504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Williams is going obviously

But why are people saying that Hambour and Gerlach *have* to go when we have barely seen them play? "

Exactly... from what ive seen of the Academy games, these two have been tearing the ABA teams apart.

Reply #23506 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

ABA and NBL are totally different.

Even Jacob has shown that, totally dominates ABA, but yet would have had an average, at best, season.

Even Shawn Redhage, who played in Tassie ABA failed to really covert over to NBL before being cut by the Breakers for Timmons.

Reply #23507 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Reply #23510 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

What about Paul Rees?

Reply #23511 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I believe it is time for a clean out. Start with the coaching staff and rebuild from there.

Reply #23512 | Report this post

Wonky  
Years ago

In my opinion, I think that if there is to be a clean out then it should start with the board of the sixers.They have to take a certain amount of responsibility for what has gone on throughout the year. Being a long time season ticket holder (since Apollo Stadium) I don't seem to recall a time that there was so much off court problems (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Reply #23516 | Report this post

B_Rett  
Years ago

What would you all think of someone like Mark Davis or even waiting and seeing how sapwell gose with norwood for possible changes if phil was going.... not saying i want him to go just thinking hypertheticaly.... Or if u have any other ideas id like to hear it

Reply #23517 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

dont think phil needs to go. The board..yes, to me that is where the tension is and that disturbs the coach and the whole team as well as its public opinion of the team. Keep as many of these guys, but drop hambour. Holmes will bounce back its just his shot that was off this year.

Reply #23522 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

I reckon you guys are a bit harsh. The team finished 4th out of 11 teams which is definately not a bad season. Sure Williams has to go. I just dont see what the other players have done wrong. We ran into a hot team..it happens..i think the finals system should be looked at - we finish 4th lose one final and we're out? Bit stupid! And whoever said ABA isnt NBL - sure its not but how else are you going to judge whose can play and who cant if they arent getting time!

Reply #23526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Holmes didn't have "an average season" unless you were going by expectations. 12 and 9 is better than almost anyone his age is averaging in the league.

Also, Redhage was barely given a chance before being cut. Played few minutes. And Timmons wasn't very good as a replacement anyway.

I'd keep Smyth if possible.

I'd clean out admin.

As for Rees, I'd offer him minimum or find him a job tugging udders. I think Nash is the tougher question.

Reply #23549 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

No chance of Cattalini returning to the Sixers - He's a Cairns man now with coach Alan Black.

As for the Sixers, I don't see any need to change the coaching duo.

Changes to the lineup will obviously depend on trying to retain Maher, Farley, Dusty.

Reply #23552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

give gerlach a go i reckon!!!

Reply #23559 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Cat with Cairns and Black? I thought main reason going back to Perth was family.

Remember Maher may be off next season so there's some space.
Mee back.
Leave Smyth and Breheny alone.
Williams gone.
Rees backup on basic wage, or dress up as Coke bottle at half time.
Nash goes.
Keep Farley and Rychart for sure.
Hill, Forman, Holmes stay.
Scorer req - Cat like.

Reply #23560 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Keep gower hes a workhorse!
Give Rees min pay..which hell accept
Keep B,W,D if we can
KEEP SMYTH! we finished 4th!
Yes clean out admin board

And see you next year in the finals!

Surely next move must be to sign smythy to a 3year deal!

Reply #23561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"ABA and NBL are totally different.

Even Jacob has shown that, totally dominates ABA, but yet would have had an average, at best, season.

Even Shawn Redhage, who played in Tassie ABA failed to really covert over to NBL before being cut by the Breakers for Timmons."

Yes, but why say that Gerlach and Hambour should not be kept around?, what i was saying is that they are proving to be the best 2 younger players in the ABA.

Reply #23568 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I'd like to see Bradtke back with the Sixers to replace Rees. He is a free agent and would come at a much higher price, but with the loss of Williams and possibly Ng & Nash, we may be able to fit him in. He is a big, big body who uses his size to good advantage and is a good scorer. If Maher decides to go, then a replacement like Mee would make our team a force to be reckoned with if he is not an import. I definitely would not give up either of our 2 imports for anyone.

Reply #23570 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #23571 | Report this post

jamie  
Years ago

if phil was to go who would take his place?

Reply #23574 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #23577 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Clean out management. Then Smyth can spend his time thinking about finals games instead of e-mails and contracts.

Reply #23579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gerlach is too small and cant shoot, why waste you time with him, and Gower has no potential, they need to wake up and get some talent in the program.

Reply #23584 | Report this post

avanti  
Years ago

Yogee,

Hasnt Darnell already naturalised?

Or did I just read rumours of him going to do so?

Reply #23588 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

According to my Wollongong colleague, he is not naturalised.

Reply #23596 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

i think the 6ers were simply unlucky in running into a very hot brisbane team. consistency (or having the boomers coach) is the best way to have competative teams in the NBL. i think our core of dusty, farley, holmes, forman and coops is very solid.

if brett does go to europe, darnell would have been an ideal replacement if he was naturalized.

how well can brad hill play PG, i havn't seen him play that much..

Phil's rift with the management is unsettling. I would hate to see him no longer coaching the 6ers as his style is enjoyable to watch along with being successful.

Last season was written off due to lack of height and its hard to swallow but a red hot bullets team with this playoff structure means another early playoff exit...

Jacob had an awesome pre-season and then a let down in the regular season. He'll learn to play within him limits and shot selection will improve.

I really like the flexibility have at the SF position, Oscar and Jacob are both becoming very solid rebounders and can provide a range of matchup problems at SF.

Now the 6ers are out I hope the Crocs win, cant let Brisbane win now and Kings and Hawks are boring *yawn*

I'll just turn my attentions to NBA and hope Artest get his suspensions reduced so the Pacers have a hope of winning the title in Reggie's last season.

Reply #23633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers needs to get more people and in particular kids and young people to the game.

It does not have to cost a fortune but it requires leaders who will listen and innovate. It is time for a change.

Reply #23638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

mark, I'm hoping that the Crocs get it too now that Melbourne are out.

Reply #23648 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Why would you want Bradtke to come back...hell cost a fortune and is very injury prone at this stage of his career, Coops was a good starting centre and if Rees retires then get a backup C.

We have more pressing needs then a past-superstar Bradtke

Reply #23658 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bradtke is still a superstar, and the best C in the league. In saying that, he will never come back to Adelaide

Reply #23664 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

get rid of gower. He has the skills of a big man and the body of a small man.

Reply #23693 | Report this post

Golf_squad  
Years ago

The sixer's squad for season 2005/06

C Cooper
PF Rychart
SF Forman
SG Farley
PG D Mee (if naturalised) or Steven Markovic (depending on Brett Maher's availability)

Bench

Holmes
B Hill
J Ingles the kid from the AIS (Spelling)
Neil Mottram from the Melbourne tigers
Darren Ng

In: Mee/ Markovic, Hill, Ingles, Mottram
Out: Maher?? Rees, Nash, Williams,

And a few rookies who ever get selected

Reply #23738 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Mottram's been playing that well. 2.5 PPG and 2.2 RPG. 2 of 13 free throws!

I think Ingles might get 2 years at the AIS. What about Kersten the PG? A few people on this forum who've seen him play think he'd be a good selection.

Reply #23766 | Report this post

B_Rett  
Years ago

Is there any chance of Ingles coming to the sixers .... Ive Played agaisnt him many times and the kid is well and truly good enough

Reply #24070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754