Anonymous
Years ago

Schenscher back in Boomers team

Just had the word that Schensch is on his way to China. Does that make 5 SA guys in the team Ingles, Holmes, Forman, Schensch and Newley. Imagine that starting 5 for the sixers.......

Topic #20833 | Report this topic

aaa  
Years ago

Any news in regard to who Luke will be playing for this year??? Would have thought a team would have picked him up by now!!!!

Reply #247335 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You would hope he gets a Euro gig.

Reply #247337 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No options in the NBL AFAIK (would be turning them down while waiting for a Euro offer, I guess). Has had offers a couple of times from Iran but is apprehensive about coming to grief over there. Haven't heard of anything since then. As he said in the media, the back problem around the time of the Lakers try-out really hurt his chances of playing in front of Euro scouts.

Reply #247340 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I wouldn't be playing for anything in Iran right now with their political instability!

Reply #247345 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Should most definitely have been in the Boomers squad initially. Still developing, but at 7'2 with a nice touch he is worth having in the squad.

Was he unavailable initially?

Reply #247346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Brett Maher implied on Inside The Game he probably made a bit of a mistake not taking an NBL gig and then if something comes up going over to Europe and will now probably have to settle for a second tier league in Europe. That won't be helping his NBA chances at all.

Reply #247375 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gold Coast have 10 points invested in a guy called Joiner, who appears not to be up to the standard (at this early stage). That could be a lifeline for Luke.

Reply #247439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From word I got he was looking to sign but the "euro out clause" was only given to him up until End of July/Early August?? (Not sure on exact dates) which this year wasnt gonna give him much time to find something after summer league. Then when he came back Burston was signed and they had no room for him?? Im pretty sure if he new he was gonna get injured and not play summerleague he would of signed something!! Hindsight is always 20/20 tho :)

Reply #247447 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, I don't think Brown wanted to chance Luke's back on the South American trip (long flights wouldn't have helped it). From there, he had Jawai and Baynes, plus Nevill to consider and Ogilvy as an option too.

Reply #247489 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, the salary cap might come into play were the Gold Coast looking to replace Joiner... They do need a big though.

Reply #247510 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isaac, re the Sth American trip, I would have thought losses to Argentina and Brazil's B teams would have sounded some alarm bells? Wortho was brought in, Schenscher (and Ballinger if available) should have been too. As for Joiner, he would be on six figures, and I would have thought Luke would consider that over playing in a low level league in Europe?

Reply #247536 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Once they'd settled, they beat Argentina. And Brazil's B-team still included 2.5 NBA players AFAIK.

You reckon they would need to offer Joiner (NZ NBL import, right?) six figures to play? I would've guessed $80k. Luke might've been turning down $150-200k all this off-season to stay in the NBL. The league might think it's a bit of a stretch within the cap (if they consider any numbers a stretch...).

Reply #247559 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't believe they had settled. They were beaten by Brazil’s B-team. Then they played Brazil’s A-team in the next tournament and were thrashed. They were twice beaten comprehensively by an average Argentinean team (missing 7 of their best 8) before upsetting them once. They only just squeaked past Uruguay FFS!!

As for Joiner, I was thinking around the $100K mark. Even if it was $80K-100K, Luke would have to at least consider that strongly against playing in a weaker league in a country where few speak English etc etc for $150K??

Reply #247564 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's alarm bells and then there's what's available to work with. Besides the Brazil game (up against Barbosa, Varejao and Splitter - no chance), the Argentina result would've given Brown (I keep calling him Barnes...) some confidence that they were moving in the right direction.

They probably figured Jawai was the man in the middle (I don't think Schensch in for Ogilvy would've changed either result to be honest) and that adding Worthington (with a bit of Baynes to provide a different option to Oscar) helped them there.

If Ballinger had opted out due to the new baby, it's likely that it was too late to bring in Redhage or similar. The other bigs were probably OS, Tragardh was only a late inclusion to the first camp I think, and it went from there.

End result was no good, but I can see how he got there.

Reply #247566 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Fair points.

Reply #247567 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They are fair points, but it resulted from poor planning. A number of players should have been involved from early on but were just given late call-ups when injuries etc occurred. Losing to Brazil's B-team and just beating Uruguay should have suggested that a couple of changes were needed, for mine.

Schenscher for Ogilvy would have made a huge difference. Schenscher is well ahead of Pledger, whereas Ogilvy could not compete physically with him. Redhage should have been invited from the start, and he would have been a good match up for Vukona. Liam Rush would have been the back up 3 we were lacking, and why weren’t Martin and Crawford given a shot on Penney?

A learning experience - as I hope was the style he tried to play. Let's hope lessons are learned quick because we have a team to make some noise next year

Reply #247577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Reply #247578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon is right, Luke was offered pointless outclause in relation to the cut off date. In hindsight he shouldve signed perhaps, but in hindsight the 6ers shouldve been realistic about there outcluse cut off dates. 6ers basically took Burtston over Schenscher....

Reply #247853 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And from the brief glimpses I managed to watch of tonight's game, big Luke played alright against Turkey.

Reply #247857 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, that's bullshit to call it picking one over the other. Bird in hand... They could not risk Luke leaving and being stuck with nothing and when Schensch declined, they went with the best available Australian centre.

It's like saying that Luke basically chose between the 36ers and nothing...

Reply #247872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, Luke was offered the best fall back position of all time by both the 36ers and New Zealand.
Out clauses to both the NBA and Europe to mid August that would have severley impacted both clubs recruiting if he did leave that nonetheless they were willing to give him.
Absolute piss poor advice from his US agent is the real truth, not your bullshit post.

Reply #247883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754