johnny_sack
Years ago

Rubio: Joventut agrees to terms with Barcelona.

http://linky.com.au/logne

Looks like it will be at least one more season before we will see Ricky in the NBA (whatever team that may be). Details are still a bit sketchy but one report states 6 years with an NBA out/buyout after the 3rd season.

As a Wolves fan i'm a little disappointed (Rubio was the Julia Roberts to Minny's Lyle Lovett). But from an team asset/development point of view it is a decent outcome. Flynn gets the team (and who's to say he won't be the better player - comparisons with Rod Stirckland make me pretty excited about him) - Rubio plays in the top flite of Euro bball... and develops on someone elses coin.

Lemons and lemonade...

Of course by tommorrow morning this could have fallen through and Ricky could be doing an apprenticeship in the magic cave - but by all accounts this is all set.

Topic #20847 | Report this topic

johnny_sack  
Years ago

The soap opera continues... This is getting tedious.

Sources now say nothing has been done while other sources say it is done and dusted.

Anyway i have learned my lesson about Spanish media sources.

The magic cave is looking more and more likely...

Reply #247637 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yes, the saga continues. Just like another episode of "Days of out Lives"!

Reply #247638 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

ESPN reports the deal is not done yet: http://linky.com.au/6v5g4

"Ricky Rubio hasn't signed anything. Joventut hasn't accepted anything. It's not over yet," said the source, who was briefed early Wednesday on the ever-changing landscape of the protracted, trans-Atlantic Rubio saga."

Reply #247644 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That Rubio would accept a six year deal with an NBA buyout after three years defys logic IMO. If he moves it will be because he knows he can buy his way out of the new club more easily about a year from now.

Joventut is being unreasonably stubborn as well. Its all very well to get something out of Rubio for the club, but $6 mill for an 18 year old who doesn't even play that many minutes for the team yet is ridiculous.

They should do some kind of deal where the up front fee is $2 mill (ie $1.5 mill from Rubio and $500k from Wolves) and then have a clause that says when Rubio earns his first post-rookie contract, he'll pay an extra couple of mill or even a percentage of his new contract. Thats a fair deal, because if Rubio is really that good, then he'll get a $10 mill deal in 4 years. If he's not that good, then Joventut have still made $2 mill plus off an overhyped kid!

Reply #247665 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I like your suggestion Beantown.
I agree that it is an overpayment for a guy that isnt huge yet but shows some potential.

A % of the next contract would probably be fair in the long run.

Why does the NBA have such a low buyout fee?
So other leagues and clubs around the world dont get NBA money for good players perhaps...

Reply #247671 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

hustle - I think the reason for the low buyout amount allowed to be payed by NBA clubs is that when the last CBA was agreed upon, Euro players weren't really on NBA teams radars, sure there were a few but not as many as now.

I would imagine that this buyout figure could possibly change in the next CBA.

Reply #247743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754