Curtley
Years ago

Friday Trivia

Not purely a basketball question but......

How many former number 1 NBA draft picks have appeared in films, not as themselves?

I stress films here, not TV shows.

Topic #20861 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

Not including short films.

Reply #247768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was Kingma a number one pick...?

Reply #247770 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

so if they appeared as themselves, it doesn't count is that what your saying?

Reply #247771 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I think Kingma was a number 0 pick

Reply #247772 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Not including dispresion/expansion drafts???

Reply #247773 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Shaq was one

Reply #247775 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Yes that's correct coopz, however many have done both.

E.g space Jam had Larry Johnson, Patrick Ewing etc playing themselves.

By the way if you name guys drafted before the 1969 draft (hint hint) I don't know about them.

Reply #247776 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

Dispersion/expansion drafts not included in my mind, but if your knowledge extends to that level and you know of players, I'd like to hear of them.

Reply #247777 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

i'm gonna say 3, but i'm sure its more.

1. Shaq, of course, in kazaam, blue chips, steel etc
2. Kareem did a few
3. pretty sure James Worthy was in a star trek flick

notables not picked #1:
John Salley did heaps of funny cameos, best being, the nerd in Bad boys movies.
Ray Allen in He got game.
tons of players as themselves in Eddie, Like Mike, blue chips and more

also, loved Kareem's cameo in Baseketball, as himself in a museums glass case, then you see him clock off in the background later on in the scene.

Reply #247778 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

DR J comes to mind - "The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh"... Was he not the no 1 pick in the ABA dispersal draft???

Reply #247779 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

My bad Erving went to the NBA with the New York Nets - thus was not involved in the ABA Disp. draft...

Reply #247780 | Report this post

themojojedi  
Years ago

How about Joe Smith as Connie Hawkins in Rebound: The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault

Reply #247782 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I have no idea.

Reply #247783 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

According to my research Worthy was in Star Trek however it was a TV episode, not strictly a film.

Shaq - yes,

Kareem - yes

Dr J - yes, didnt get him, but he was not officially a number draft pick in the NBA. Another number 1 draft pick was also in 'the fish that saved pittsburg'

1976 pick John Lucas played 'Golden State Warriors player' in some flick, not strictly himself, but as good as.

Reply #247787 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

There are apparently 9 altogether since and including 1969.

I had absolutely no idea about 5 of them. Hint: 1 plays a voice in an animated film (not in english).

1 film has just been released but this guy has played himself quite a bit before this in films and is still regularly on TV.

The most recent one to actually appear in a film is a bit of surprise.

Reply #247790 | Report this post

So far:

Joe Smith,

Shaq Daddy,

Kareem,

Reply #247795 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Hakeem.

Reply #247803 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Bill Walton has been in 2 or 3 films, including Semi Pro. Not sure if he played himself in all of them.

Reply #247807 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Bernard King was in a movie called Fast Break, with Gabe Kaplan. It was shit.

And Larry Johnson was in Mrs Doubtfire.

Reply #247809 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

The movie "Like Mike" featured several NBA players but not sure if they all played themselves or other characters? Does anyone know or remember?
No.1 picks from that movie include Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, & David Robinson.

Reply #247812 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Forget Paris, with Billy Crystal

During scenes in which Mickey is working as a referee, several professional basketball players play themselves.

David Robinson and the San Antonio Spurs play Charles Barkley, Dan Majerle and the Phoenix Suns in a crucial game of the Western Conference Finals. Also in this scene is Kevin Johnson and the Suns coach at the time, Paul Westphal.

Mickey also officiates a Los Angeles Laker-Detroit Piston game during Kareem Abdul Jabbar's final season. Having a "bad day," Mickey throws Kareem out of the game for no apparent reason, then does the same to Detroit Pistons star Isiah Thomas, and then the entire roster of both teams.

Also seen are Reggie Miller, Tim Hardaway, Patrick Ewing, John Starks, Chris Mullin, Spud Webb (to whom Mickey says, "You're the only one I can talk to," -- both Webb and Billy Crystal are 5'7" tall), Bill Laimbeer, Bill Walton, Kurt Rambis, Charles Oakley, Horace Grant, Dennis Rodman, Sean Elliott, Marques Johnson and, while Mickey was watching a game at home on his couch, Michael Jordan on television.[1]

Reply #247814 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Yes Olajuwon played 'Luther Hakim' in Heaven is a playground - it stars no one else I have ever heard of. Walton is also another one, he has played himself many times (including little nicky, semi pro, ghostbusters and he got game) but also was another character in 'Who shot Mamba', due out this year in the USA.

I don't believe Larry Johnson was in Mrs doubtfire.

Yao Ming did voice work for a chinese animated film.

And a former new york knick played a supernatural character in the sequel to a famous horror film.

That leaves 2 more: they are very obscure. One was not born in Europe or the USA.

Reply #247825 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Patrick Ewing played "The Angel of Death" in some horror movie. He wasn't on screen for long, just long enough for me to say, "Hey, that's Patrick Ewing!"

Reply #247827 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Ewing, Olowokandi, & Duncan weren't born in Europe or the USA (unless you count the Virgin Islands for Tim Duncan as part of the USA).

Reply #247829 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Wikipedia says Tim Duncan is a Virgin Islander American... meaning he was born in the American Virgin Islands, as opposed to the United Kingdom Virgin Islands.

http://linky.com.au/pnlpk

Reply #247833 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Read between the lines, curtley!!

Reply #247834 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Aaaah, the Fish that Saved Pittsburgh, the greatest basketball movie ever made. The "other" #1 pick in the movie was Mychal Thompson, who played with New York in the movie alongside Spencer Haywood.

Good times, good times.

Reply #247838 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

A wierd fact about Mychal Thompson...

Born MICHAEL George Thompson, but changed his christian name spelling to MYCHAL.... and...

Has a son called MYCHEL.

Reply #247845 | Report this post

budgie  
Years ago

Wilt Chamberlin got a gig in a movie called red sonya with Arnie. He was sitting on a horse and his feet could touch the ground. I think it was part of the Conan series.

Reply #247860 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I would have said Wilt, no idea on specifics but it sounds like something he'd do.

Was following Wimbledon earlier this year on the BBC online text update thing, Federer was dismantling Ivo Carlovich and someone likened it to Bruce Lee fighting Kareem Abdul Jabbar at the end of Game of Death, thought that was a great analogy.

Reply #247867 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

ask a stupid question on hoops and get a heap of stupid answers, but why is that guy wearing a towel on his head in the pittsburgh clip?

Reply #247873 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The guy with a towel on his head is Jamal Truth. He spent time in prison but changed his name to Jamal Truth after leaving his slave name in the slammer.

"It's a new day and we're new people and that's the Truth."

Reply #247874 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

thanks moses

Reply #247876 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Cheers Moses - that clip rocked... I have heard about that film for ages... It sounded naff - but after those clips and the music i will definitely have to track it down...

Reply #247879 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Moses - i finally "get" your name...

;)

Reply #247880 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

Olowakandi was in van wilder as some1. Otherwise all the rest were mentioned.

Thanks for bein such nerds guys.

Reply #247886 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

My pleasure!

Reply #247897 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Arnie, with Wilt (in costume) and Andre the giant ...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SnJlePfxDSI/AAAAAAAANwQ/8DRIO8bc9kE/s1600-h/Wilt+Chamberlain+Andre+the+Giant+And+Arnold+Schwarzenegger.jpg

Reply #247939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754