Skin
Years ago

Early citizenship for athletes

http://linky.com.au/bglqi

"ATHLETE immigrants will get fast-tracked Australian citizenship so they can represent the nation at international sporting events.

The proposed amendments to the Citizenship Act, to be introduced to Federal Parliament next month, will reduce the residency requirements from four years to two for highly talented athletes.

The changes came about after the Government was approached by the Australian Olympic Committee after several athletes missed out on competing at major events because of the existing legislation. "

This could be interesting for the NBL as Imports could be naturalised in 2 years.

Topic #20889 | Report this topic

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Sad, sad, sad... I understand this is a tit for tat thing - cause other countries pull these kinds of things... But I hate the idea - wait your turn like everyone else (if that means you would rather go and live else where - good for you)...

Lowest common denominator Politiking at is finest...

Just wondering - will they allow this for academics, engineers, scientists, doctors, etc - who bring real value-adding skills (if they do already pardon my ignorance - still not fair, but at least of a real benefit to the nation)...

Reply #248087 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754