skip
Years ago

Who will be the new Adelaide 36ers Captain?

I think we can rule out Gilchrist, Groves, Herbert, Burston, Cooper and Ng.

So do they go with
Holmes (Was Dragons Captain, Current Boomer, SA player)
Ballinger (Now an Aussie, Back to Back MVP)
or look long term with Hill (SA player, Should be a starter this year, About the same age as Maher when he took over)

I would lean towards either Balls or Hill myself.

Let the discussion begin.

Topic #20915 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

I reckon they would give it to Holmes to keep him happy!

Reply #248369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think balls would be a bit too quiet... his generally quite a reserved person, not that thats a bad thing at all, jst dont think he wud be the captain type.. plus his only JUST become an aussie.. maybe next year.

Hilly still a bit young. Dont think wud want to take on the responsibility of being the captain just yet..

I think holmes will get it. as u said.. his been a captain before, and now a boomer. he has a lot of experience behind him, and i think the team respects him enough to see him as their captain.

Reply #248370 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

My money is on Holmes

Reply #248371 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I should have said, My personal choice would be Balls or Hill. But I also agree with most that Holmes is more likely.

Reply #248375 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Give it to Ballinger, it might secure a long term bond with the team and keep him here in Adelaide longer.

Reply #248378 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

With captaincy, you don't necessarily need to give it to the best player. In fact sometimes, this distracts them and their game drops off.

We have been spoilt by Brett who was a superb captain, superb player and all round good guy (can't anyone find dirt on this guy?)

Good captains are those who show leadership by bringing out the best in their team mates and inspiring them when the going gets tough. Being a fair weather captain is easy, the question to ask yourself is:

"when the Sixers are down by 20 going into the final quarter and Scotty throws down the clipboard in disgust, who would inspire the team to get up and win by 10?" To me, that is who should be captain.

Reply #248381 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The money is running with Holmes.

Reply #248382 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Ballinger should get it for sure, but perhaps a better solution would be the good old joint/shared captaincy of Ballinger and Holmes.

Hill needs to do alot more to earn captaincy. At this point he hasn't been a main contributor still developing his game give him a few years and see how he performs and works with those around him before considering him as captain.

Reply #248383 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Who would compare Hill's leadeship skills with Maher's? I wouldn't say Jacob is a great captain, but no one else comes close.

Reply #248389 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sixers have a bit of a problem in that we have no established SA guys in the team who are guaranteed to start every game.

Holmes is the most likely choice, but its hard for a captain to inspire his team if he is not on the floor for big minutes every game. He obviously isn't starting at PF and I think the jury is out on whether he, Hill, or even Herbert start at SF.

I agree Hill is too young and not established enough. He needs to concentrate on taking that next step. So its a tough problem. Perhaps a Holmes/ Ballinger joint captaincy could work for this year. One of the two is pretty much always going to be on the floor.

Reply #248391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jack, I don't think this 36ers roster actually has that person. No Davidson, no Maher, no Winitana.

Maybe Ballinger/Holmes jointly is the way to go.

Reply #248392 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

The thing the Sixers lack this year IMO is some to really close out the game. We used to have Maher who you could rely on down the stretch to hit a big 3 etc. This year it is a more even spread.

So taking that we don't have a closer into account that really leaves Jacob & Balls as captain material.

Having had a first hand view of Jacob with the Sabres this year, he is an extremely good leader. He understands the game, has been able to motivate his team and is willing to do what he can to win. IMO that is what a captain is.

IMO Balls meets most criteria but just lacks the real get your teammates up voice that IMO a captain needs.

Reply #248404 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Balls deserves the role & should be given first crack.

My next choice would be Gilly - the quarter back. He'll be on the court for extended minutes & I am sure he would have had some leadership roles in the past.

His attitude seems to be pretty good from all reports to date.

Reply #248409 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Would have to be within the club to really make an educated call on this but from outside I'd pick Balls. Maybe a co-captaincy with Holmes as Isaac suggested.

Reply #248410 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bizzy - I'm hoping Gilchrist will be the closer on this team, whether he is the closer in go to go isolation or the go to go in working and creating a good shot in tandem with Ballinger who is a high percentage scorer. But bottom line is we really need Gilchrist to be the man in the crunch.

Grooves has done it in the past but can't recall anything of note in the past 2-3 seasons where he has consistently stepped up in the 4th when needed and shown that you want the ball in his hands with the clock winding down.

Herbert and Ng are both good options for a well run play for a pop and three.

Reply #248417 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Go with the cocaptaincy of Holmes and Balls since there's no real obvious individual candidate between them. Hill shouldn't even come into the equation yet - he's too young, too inexperienced and is only just coming into his own after that horrific injury.

Reply #248420 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Balls !

Reply #248429 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Agree, Ballinger and Holmes jointly.... then give it to Hill next year if he takes it to the next level.

Reply #248430 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I like the idea of Jacob & Balls as co-captains( for all the reasons already listed).

Brad Hill could be a very good future option, & could be part of a leadership group now to blood him for the future.

Reply #248433 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Captains within basketball are important but do not carry the same weight as field sports such as Football , Cricket etc .
The coach has access to players through courtside communication and timeouts .
Agreed Holmes and Ballinger would make good Co Captains and it is a simple call really .

Reply #248434 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Balls. Mad if you dont.

Reply #248442 | Report this post

Yep  
Years ago

think they should sign up Dougie....just to be captain!!!

Reply #248448 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

If balls doesnt get the top job then who are they kidding. He is naturalised, been at the club for a while, played NBl for a while. Holmes is a good start but u want someone with presence on the court. holmes has that but not as much as ballinger

Reply #248449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger is not vocal though. That's why people are suggesting a combination or alternatives.

Reply #248450 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This was always going to be a dilemma when Brett retired. How can anyone step into his shoes? He has raised the standard so high, its out of reach for most.

Reply #248454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Balls. Balls. Balls. He is the closest we got to Maher. Just because his quiet doesn't mean he wouldn't step up to the role. ANYONE can get vocal if it's part of their responsibility. Been in the NBL years, shown loyalty to the 6'ers during the league flop and is a definite role model and favorable personality to the other guys. Another plus is there's nothing arrogant about him and he doesn't chuck a hissy fit when his benched! But maybe the Co captaincy would work too? Balls is my pick though.

Reply #248468 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OK,
I can see the only way to select the captain is a game of Horse between Balls and Jacob around the Dome - Skip, you can adjudicate

Winner is (c), other is (vc)

That would be worth paying $5 to watch!

Reply #248470 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Perth would charge $35 for that.^^^

Reply #248473 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hate to think what Melbourne would charge!

Reply #248479 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Multiple club MVP Ballinger for mine.

Reply #248480 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Adam Ballinger would be my first choice - if he wants it. Seems a quiet, easy going kinda guy, but a very smart cookie, with the experience to lead if required.

Reply #248521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754