Anonymous
Years ago

Help me understand the AFL finals system

Does anyone mind explaining how the AFL run there final system.

I know that its top 8 with 1v4, 2v3, 5v8 and 6v7.

But do the losers of top four play winner of bottom 4?

Thanks in advance.

Topic #20937 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #248657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so how will the crow's be playing next week with this system?

Reply #248658 | Report this post

Dept  
Years ago

The Crows will play good.

Reply #248660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crows v Saints or Collingwood

Reply #248662 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

1v4, 2v3 - both are double-chance finals. 5v8, 6v7 - both are knockout finals. The winner of 5v8 plays the loser of 1v4, with the winner of 1v4 straight through to a prelim. The winner ov 6v7 plays the loser of 2v3, with the winner of 2v3 straight through to a prelim. Assuming the games go to ladder order, this means the second week sees 1 and 2 through to prelims, and 4v5 in one semi and 3v6 in the other. The winner of 4v5 then plays 2, whilst the winner of 3v6 plays 1. The winner of the two prelims then goes through to the grand final. Personally, I enjoyed the McIntyre Final Eight more with all its combinations and permutations - made it interesting until the final whistle with its "two highest-ranked losers" concept.

Reply #248664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Crows Logo next year

Reply #248665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankyou Moses

Reply #248668 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Call me a cynic, but a Collingwood loss means an extra final for them and extra bums on seats and more $$$$ for the AFL. Who follows St Kilda apart from Molly Meldrum?

The GF doesn't really matter, that's a sell out whoever plays, but financially, a Collingwood win is a "disaster" for the AFL.

Reply #248673 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Doesn't really matter what happens - the cats are back with a little mojo. Bring on a weeks break and Steveie J and Rooke will be back. What do they say - cream rises to the top. I'm on my way to the G

Reply #248674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane Lions win and advance.

Reply #248697 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

You bloody cynic Jack Toft!

That logo will take a while to get used to anon.

Reply #248789 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Interesting logo - thought they may still stick with the red, blue, yellow streaks coming off it.

Reply #248793 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

New Crows logo looks like it's wearing mascara...

Reply #248796 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes, I am a cynic!

The AFL does not inspire me anymore and I shake my head in dis. The umpiring is ordinary and inconsistent. There are too many dodgy calls and the 3rd quarter frees are the worst as the umpires try to even to free kick count out int eh game. Free kicks in the final minutes are unheard of for fear of making a wring call.

The scheduling of games has got nothing to do with competition IMHO, rather, scheduling apepars to be so to maximise crowd numbers and revenue streams. The draw is inconsistent in who plays whom.

The bias towards some clubs in playing "big games" at prime TV broadcast slots is obvious and this disadvantages some clubs in attracting and securing sponsors. Collingwood appear to be the chosen ones and you can almost guarantee that any "special game" will see Collingwood play in that game, eg playing on Easter Monday, Friday nights, Anzac Day.

The AFL is not a level playing field and needs structural reform.

The TV commentary has nothing to do with the AFL, but I detest the pro-Vic comments in any game. Comments like the Crows have 7 Vics in their team (and that is why they are so good...) don't really need to be said. You don't hear positive comments about the number of South Aussies in Geelong, or other sucessful teams from the commentators. Don't get me started on when they paint Brisbane and Sydney as Victorian clubs "on tour of the north".

Rant time over. Get back to work everyone!

Reply #248899 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754