Anonymous
Years ago

ABL Grand Final referees

Why did the Women's Referee Of The Year do the mens grand final, and the Mens Referee Of The Year not do either?
Why don't the Ref's of the Year for Mens/Womens ref the respective Grand Final games?

Topic #20947 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

fantastic point

Reply #248727 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Who was the Male ref of the year? And did he have other commitments?

Why can't the Female ref of the year ref a male grand final seems fine by me!

Reply #248729 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Bennnn was Ref of the Year (just ask him) and he was in Darwin for the NBL Preseason. You would assume he would have got the men's game (assuming the unsportsmanlike foul he pulled out his arse at Mars didn't disqualify him). So that probably would have pushed one of the Nathan's to the Women's game.

I don't know the selection process but you would assume they put the best 4 refs on GFs and the 2 Nathans would have been the top 2 eligible refs and they got the gig.

Reply #248730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think it also has something to do with him doing a certain amount of NBL games, so therefore couldnt do ABL grand finals
So if Phil Haines was to ref all season dont think he would have been eligible either.
May be wrong tho

Reply #248752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Haines and Andrew Filmer were both ineligible for appointment during the CABL Finals because they have both officiated in over 50 NBL games (this is apparently normal practice interstate as well).

Reply #248758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the referees did a pretty good job sat night, did really notice them!!! Allow the game to flow and luckily the game wasn't about them!!

Reply #248805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the refereeing was good until the final few minutes of the men's game where risk of injury from deliberate fouls was ignored and called as standard fouls.

Interesting that eventually they realised the error of their ways and called one unsportsmanlike foul, which in turn ended Sturt's blatantly deliberate fouling.

Wonder if Grantham is still sore from unnecessary hit he took at the end of the game.

Reply #248806 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I wonder if Daly and Vaughan have recovered after Thompson blatantly decided to jump on them both?

Reply #248822 | Report this post

No pea  
Years ago

Coming from the winners side of the 1st game I thought the reffing was F-ing crap.

They make this big presentation to the refs before the game (a whistle on a wooden plaque)

Yeah well it was like they were using the bloody thing on the plaque for most of the game and only realized it was for show in the last qtr.

Reply #248830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree, womens game umpiring was crapola for a GF.. often tell refs its for blowing, not sucking!

Reply #248874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was so crap about it? Considering the game was a blow out early they hardly had any reason to get involved.

Reply #248898 | Report this post

oi u  
Years ago

nah tha gayms werr refed pretti gd aye.
wel datz wot i thort

Reply #256081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754