Isaac
Years ago

36ers vs Hawks tonight in Whyalla

The 36ers host the Wollongong Hawks tonight in a pre-season challenge up in Whyalla.

Adelaide are hoping to suit Ballinger and Hill, both returning from injury concerns, but will continue to bring Burston back slowly from a knee injury sustained during Boomers duty and he will sit this one out. Rookie Molitor has travelled with the team though there is yet to be any announcement on the U23 player for the team.

The Hawks are still missing centre Behrendorff and may also be without another big, Davidson.

Don't forget that the return bout is on Sunday at the Dome - first and only pre-season game in Adelaide and your chance to preview the team.

Topic #20983 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Im heading over there this afternoon and will try and give score updates during the game.

Reply #249106 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Should be a good test for the Sixers. If it's 29 and windy in Adelaide, it'll be 33 and blowing a north gale in Whyalla.

Would like to see Molly get extended minutes on court to test his limits.

Reply #249108 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I agree Jack, whoever they are looking at for that under 23 spot should be given at least 20 minutes in the second half to see what they can do. That includes Molitor, Seebohm and Daly if he is also an option.

Reply #249116 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

I'm in Whyalla with the guys.

Balls and Hilly will suit tonight. Matt Burston is here training with the guys but they will keep him for the season opener.

Garlepp and Molitor will fill out the roster.

It's a huge event here and they will cram about 1000 people into the stadium tonight.

Reply #249123 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

what's the weather like up there Bonz, what's the red dust like around the Pellet plant?

Reply #249131 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

It's 32 and 100+ knot winds!!!

I'm hoping the stadium is still there when we go back tonight.

Reply #249134 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im looking forward to the landing at Whyalla Airport! :-)

Reply #249140 | Report this post

Bonz  
Years ago

Good Luck Skip!!!!

Reply #249141 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

you need it with the "flying pencils"

Reply #249147 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hill is out tonight. Davidson out for the Gong.

Reply #249167 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Down 28-43 part way thru the second

Reply #249169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #249170 | Report this post

KEVY47  
Years ago

Thanks SKIP...

Livescores is down...

Reply #249171 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

3/4 - 68-82 down. Tragardh early tip for season mvp. Aint see box scores but they aint missing much. Groves looks good.

Reply #249172 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

3 to go. Scores level

Reply #249173 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

20 secs. Down by 4. Balls to the line for 2.

Reply #249175 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

how's Molly playing?

Reply #249176 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Lost by 3. Gilly missed a 3 right on the buzzer and was totally fuming about it.

Reply #249178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damm

Reply #249179 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Anyone know where we can find the box score?

Reply #249180 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Not too bad then - to come from 14 down at 3qtr time.
Groves did alright then Skip?

Reply #249181 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

We were 20 down in the 3rd. Tez was good. But as a team, nothing was sinking in the 1st half of the game. Mckee looks awesome.

Reply #249183 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gotta have Burston. Hill would be handy.

Reply #249184 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Think you're getting a bit carried away there Skip as Tragardh won't win MVP! He is certainly a great player now but still not MVP material (Regardless if he won it in the pre season tournament)

Reply #249186 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Though we still have people out i would like to see us get a win somewhere, hopefully this Sunday.

Reply #249187 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Alright everyone, here is my assessment after watching the game tonight (warning - it will be lengthy!) ;P

Hawks were hot in the first quarter, but the sixers helped them to be "hotter" by being terrible in defending one on one and effectively defending on-ball screens (and lots of off the ball picks!). McKee for the Hawks tore us apart, and the Hawks couldn't miss when they had a hand in their face or when they were left wide open because of a defensive miscommunication.

Things started to go down hill half way through the first and it was pretty ugly up until halfway through the second until Cortez saved the day. He scored 8 straight points in about a minute from two threes and a jumpshot. He had some other nice buckets in the game, and I was impressed with his solid D and the fact he didn't force his offence or throw up crap shots. If he plays like he did tonight all season he'll be a good fit.

We also got smashed on the boards in the first half and were unlucky as they had a few just fall into their hands on lucky rolls or mistimings on our part. We certainly could've boxed out much better though. It really highlighted how much we were missing Burston, but the Hawks were also missing the big B and Larry D. Tim Cooenrad(?) couldn't miss when he was on in the second - where the heck has he come from?? - and the midget man himself (someone help me out with his name?), stabbed us in the heart with a 3pt on the half time buzzer - it even looked like a set play for him! Darren hit a few nice shots to keep us in the game with Cortez in the 2nd too.

The third saw us come out much more aggressive in a zone defence. Actually, now that I think about it, the zone started in the second qtr, so we certainly got a lot more boards and were able to push the ball on the break. The 3rd saw us go back to man and we were more switched on, and got hands in the lanes and some transition buckets. Again, there were some basic errors in d by not switching on the on ball screen or rotating or communicating who was doing what (or just getting it right!) - it was really just poor communication - but since the team hasn't been together too much, you would hope that improves quickly, because again, that led to some wide open shots everywhere.

Tragardth was a gun all night - man he has sweet moves and a sweet shot! We didn't get Ballinger the ball nearly enough - he is unstoppable when he is one on one in the low block. He probably wouldn't have had more than 10 shots for the game. Pretty poor.

Herbert hit some nice early threes but didn't get many more looks for the rest of the game. Holmes shot very well all night and probably ended up with 15? Gilchrist - man, he is good. He burnt McKee a beauty on what would have made Mahersy jealous with the length (in time) of his stutter step drive to the hole move on one iso play. The other things is, if he is isolated above the three point line, there is no one that can stop him going to the rim. He is way too fast and has the moves. He hit some nice threes too.

I was impressed with Tom Garlepp too. He doesn't look anything special, but he gets the job done, plays hard, is very confident in his offensive ability and can hit open shots. Cooper was solid and was hard done by with some very soft foul calls. Molitor didn't see any time at all.

The lead ballooned out to 20 again during the third, but we got it back to 14 for the start of the 4th. It seemed like everytime we strung some buckets together to go on a mini run, they would hit a few tough shots, get a soft foul call or a loose ball would end up in their hands. That all changed in the fourth where things finally went our way, we got steals, we made tough shots and cleaned up well on the glass. Garlepp hit a 3 to tie it up at 90, then they hit a shot and after a no score play by us, they hit two free throws to go up by four. Balls then hit two free throws and Gilchrist did the impossible and almost stole the inbounds pass but forced a turnover as the ball deflected off McKeee for Sixers ball with about 17 secs left. Balls had a wide open 3 to win it with 11 secs left, but missed, then we fouled Sav where he missed the first and hit the second to put them up by 3. Gilchrist went solo and created space for a good look at a three but it was short and game over. He was not happy with himself!

Good turn out by the locals and a good job done by Skip and Bonz with the music and MC'ing. Man I forget how much I love Danger Zone!! ;P

I know that was lengthy and all over the place, but it's been too long since I've seen the sixers in action and it was great to see the new signings in sixers singlets!

Reply #249188 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Interesting - That was good reading that and thanks.
The Dome should help us get the win on sunday.

Reply #249191 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the summary Cavolo, much appreciated.

Can't be too disappointed in a close loss, because we are very thin up front with Burston in cotton wool and Tragardh has only just won MVP of the pre-season!

Would be good for morale to get a win soon though, and we desperately need all our guys to get healthy so they can build their communication and team work on D.

Its a good sign that both our imports had an impact on the game. Am keen to see Herbert play, because he keeps on racking up the numbers in pre-season. At this rate, with Hill unable to train, Herb may just find himself starting at SF when the season starts!

Wish there was a spot on the roster for Garlepp too. He seems to be taking his opportunities very well.

Reply #249192 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Thanks for that detailed review it's much appreciated.

Reply #249193 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Cheers cavolo, great work.

Reply #249194 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Forgot to add scores from the players. This is only from memory so will not be super accurate, but should be around the mark:

Gilchrist - 20 (3 x 3pt?)
Holmes - 15 (1 x 3pt)
Groves - 14 (3 x 3pt)
Ballinger - 7 (?)
Garlepp - 7 (1 x 3pt)
Cooper - 2
Herbert - 10 (2 x 3pt)
Ng - 8 (?) (2 x 3pt?)

we scored 92 I think and that adds up to about 83 so I'm obviously short changing a few people, probably forgetting some free throws?

For the Hawks (guestimates):

Gruber - 10
McKee - 20
Saville - 14
Tragardth - 20
Cooenrad - 10
the rest all had a good couple of buckets each including my self proclaimed "midget man" with his half ending three pointer.

Reply #249195 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Thanks for the feedback.
What does the Hawks Guber have? Does he rebound? Is he a good fit for the Hawks?

Reply #249198 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Cheers for scores and review.

Ballinger needs to be in the game any game more by the sounds of things...

Reply #249211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Hawks little guy is Zac Delaney I think.

Reply #249225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre season is preseason.......as they say....."nothing to see here" Out for us were a starting player in Burston (best centre in the league) and also first off the bench in Hill. Gong were full strength so way I see it is we are looking good for the upcoming season

Reply #249396 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754