LC
Years ago

Mills to be evaluated by Blazers

Patty Mills is expected to be evaluated by Portland within the next few daysas reported on Real GM.

Portland wants to evaluate Mills and his foot before they make a decision about the point guard's future with the team.

"Patty has had a lot of opportunities to go to Europe and people want to sign him regardless of the injury for big money, but that's not what he wants to do. He's always wanted to make the NBA. He wants to play for the Blazers or play in the NBA this year. That's what he wants to do. But at this point, he's just going to come back to Portland and see what happens - see if they place him overseas, keep him or let him go. You never know how it's going to go – it's tricky," Patrick told Wendall Maxey.

Link: http://linky.com.au/xfo69

Fingers crossed he will be OK to go, but as to what happens in regards to playing, something needs to change at Portland for that to happen this season. I do hope they encourage him to go to Europe for a season.

Topic #21039 | Report this topic

ronnymac  
Years ago

With miler and blale allready there, hey'll probaly send him to the nbdl or europe

Reply #250029 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Europe means death. Lets be realistic, if he goes to europe the chances of him coming back are next to none, he must know this and obviously is pushing hard to stay in the US.

Reply #250031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skimming over the site i thought this said: "Mills to be evacuated by Blazers"

Reply #250043 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

You mus be smoking crack quagmire. Europe at the moment is his best bet unless Portland release him or trade his contract to a team who want to use him. Europe is as good if not better than the NBA in some cases and money would be better not to mention opportunities. Remember quagmire, crack is whack

Reply #250048 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I agree with Ricey on this. Rubio has chosen to continue to cut his teeth in Europe as one example of another PG sticking it out.
What would be better for Mills? Sitting on the end of the bench not getting a chance to play, or being the number one play maker on a strong European team? I know which one I would pick.

Reply #250063 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Rubio has a guaranteed 4-5 year contract when he decides to return to the US. Mills does not have that luxury.

I'm with Quagmire - if Mills goes to Europe his chances of making an NBA roster decrease. He has more chance of playing in the NBA with a call up from the D-League.

Reply #250102 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I am not sure the European style would be a good fit for Patty, there simply aren't as many open court or driving opportunities. I certainly wouldn’t see him being a starter on a good Euroleague team just yet unless he can be a lot more consistent on his jumpshot.

I think the NBA-D would be best for him, but if he does go to Europe Spain would be the leaguet hat would be the best fit for him.

Reply #250105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted.)

Reply #250106 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think it really depends on him getting on a team where he starts and has a significant role. As long as that happens, I don't think it matters whether he plays D League or Europe. NBA scouts do a decent job of covering both these days.

Reply #250107 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true Beantown, but it's best to be in a situation where he'll be able to show his skills off.

Reply #250118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

d league has got more players in the NBA than any other pro leagues in the world.

Reply #250126 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

so becoming a player known for being able to burn up a fastbreak only in USA is going to get him in league faster? idiot... idiot, idiot, idiot

if he goes to europe it will help him become a much better player, and one with two tempos. not to mention d-league isn't anywhere near the level of europe, so he would only regress and become a worse player...

oh and rubio has been offered a starting role as soon as he decides to come to NBA, so a huge difference between him and Mills with status in the league...

if i was mills i would be looking to get out of contract with blazers so he can be picked up in the future after a couple good years in europe

Reply #250239 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Playing in Europe would definitely make him a more rounded player, whether it would make him a better NBA player, or more desirable to NBA clubs is another question.

Reply #250243 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

"so becoming a player known for being able to burn up a fastbreak only in USA is going to get him in league faster? idiot... idiot, idiot, idiot"

Yes, because the NBDL is played the same way as the NBA - too much 1 on 1 , very little zone defense, superior athletes etc. So to do well in the D-League is going to be Mills' best chance of receiving a contract from an NBA club.

The European game is very different to the NBA. Players will always be drafted from European leagues, but rarely signed as Free Agents from Europe. Especially with the difficulties of the Euro contracts, with buy-out fees, negotiations etc.

"oh and rubio has been offered a starting role as soon as he decides to come to NBA, so a huge difference between him and Mills with status in the league..."

Which is why Rubio can afford to stay in Europe. Mills needs to impress the NBA by playing the NBA way - in the NBA affiliated D-league, with NBA styled coaching and playbooks.

As Paul said, Europe will make Mills a more rounded and complete player, but perhaps not a more attractive player to NBA teams.

Reply #250255 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

How many international players have done the nbdl and had a chance in NBA so far. None. He goes to Europe he will be playing much better talent which will make him better and in return get more attention in summer league which is he only real chance to impress enough to get the shot

Reply #250759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754