And by what do you define "success" as?

Reply #250062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they had it on one hd it would be a success

Reply #250066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it's already something of a success - 80-100+ players and coaches are employed and thousands go to games and are entertained. But obviously there's a long, long way to go until the league is where it could and should be.

I suspect that there will be few improvements from the NBL themselves this year and that most small-scale changes will be at the club level, just trying to stabilise and improve their footing. Hopefully then we see more from the league itself next season.

Reply #250068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On court product will be better than ever.

There will not be one easy game as all teams have solid enough rosters.

Reply #250071 | Report this post

Djrod  
Years ago

Yes: the league and the game will not lose any of the current fans. The game is still strong and the comp will be close

No: we won't attract many new fans to the game due to the lack of promotion and media coverage. I don't believe the best talent is on the floor and the quality of imports is not as high.

But we have a league so let's all get out there and do our bit - any little bit counts... if you're on this site u love the game

Reply #250073 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

No, nothing has changed, is the same old NBL, can u believe the lack of marketing and launch, its seriously ridiculous, the should have had a year off and launch it as a true national competition ie sydney/brisbane teams.

Reply #250082 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

why?

Reply #250089 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

It will be a succes in certain regions of our country, but without proper marketing and promotion in Sydney and Brisbane with big crowds like we use to see when D-Train and Mike Mitchell were doing their thing, NBL will never be great

Reply #250091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't there going to be a launch/media appearance on Sunrise this week with a player from each team and a few mascots???

Reply #250096 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Yes: People will still come to the games

No: We just don't get it.
How to promote the game that is.
20 years ago netball was MILES behind basketball and with no apparent chance of making up the gap.

Arguably now they leave us for dead.

Why? Promotion and engagement.
1. Their game is promoted better. eg TV, billboards
2. They have it on free to air.
3. And they engage with their audience.

Anyone see the netball on the weekend Aust Vs NZ from NZ?

After the game they had tables set up on the court with players from both teams signing autographs (still in their uniforms).

Like it or not some of our marquee players just project as over paid prima donnas that take out of the game more than they put in.

Their league has been refined and revamped, contracted and extended - all with a purpose of giving a market what it wants.

No off court dramas. No drug rumours.

Look at the AFL. Bigger, I know, but when negative coaching practices threatened the product, the rules have been tweaked to protect the brand.

When Brian G reduced our game to a defensive, scragging, cheating, snooze-a-thon we sat back and admired the number of championships he'd won.

Ours is POTENTIALLY a better game but we have definately dropped the ball.
Lack of focus, lack of direction.

Reply #250110 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cant agree Sector 7G. Netball receives substantial support due to it being a women's sport, yet attracts similar average crowds to the NBL, and when you consider they have far fewer games, they actually are well behind the NBL.

NBL players are very accessible, but there are always things that can be done better - some teams do the post match autograph/chat session but it should be mandatory.

As for the on-court product, watch a few leagues from around the world and youll soon realise that the NBL is one of the most fan friendly going around – quick, unpredictable and high scoring.

I would say the AFL has much greater problems with the spectacle they put out on the ground, which many fans agree is boring just as often as it is exciting.

Reply #250116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

considering the state basketball was NBL management is shocking. agree with sector 7G. and until the day their ass is on 1HD, they're destined to fail.

Reply #250125 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Yes, the lack of promotion is poor, but, considering where we were a few months ago I don't think you can blame any outsiders for being a little hesitant.
The people who can make a difference now is all of us. If we get behind Larry and our respective clubs, it will work.

Reply #250143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes where we were a few months ago but it's just as possible to get worse as it is to succeed. there's next to no assurance in this league of what's going to happen right now. no wonder local players are leaving.

Reply #250148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think a significant number have left. Ingles was always going to leave regardless and one of Barlow or Worthington was going to give Europe a crack as soon as they could. Main ones to go are Loughton, Knight and Khazzouh - it happens.

I don't understand the pessimism when it comes to the playing stocks - we still have a very close competition with many of the elite players still hitting the court - Penney, Bruton, Anstey, Ballinger, Redhage, Harvey, Schenscher, etc - all playing in 2009/10.

Are you a Dragons fan maybe?

Reply #250152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nope, not a Dragons fan at all but just stating a fact that top players would rather go elsewhere than stay here. many of those players you mentioned are kinda old I think, so doubtful to pick up a Euro contract.

Barlow's a home boy (thus only stay in college for 1 season and left Kings to return home etc.) and even then he chose to leave, I think that's saying something.

Reply #250153 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Its biggest stumbling block is the lack of free to air.Also not enough CABL results in the Sunday"Wail" .But its on Foxtel and I saw a clip for it upcoming on Fox Sports.I-think-I- read-it was being radiocast on ABC.FiveAA will have The 36ers captain Tuesdays @610pm.After the match you can listen to some of the Interviews fresh after the match in the flesh up in the Apollo Room.I hope Rupe sapwell can MC ,I liked his style.If you stay after the match long enough(avoiding bumper cars in the russsian car park)the players wander out across the court.
I have a feeling the players wander about the fuss.Theyre just playing sport theyre not Hollywood.
Anyway why couldnt someone be Inventive and throw some live cam they got on Youtube for the rest of us?

Reply #250154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Penney and Bruton would be turning down big Euro offers all the time. Bruton was doing very well abroad earlier this off-season. Redhage and Ballinger are in their prime (Redhage was playing in P.Rico only a month or so ago), Schenscher coming off a great NBL season.

Players would rather go elsewhere because there are higher paying gigs in Europe and the US or they want to give it a crack at some time in their career (the young bigs, Rush, etc). That's been the case for years.

There's a lot to improve about the NBL, but the standard of the games is miles from the top of the wish list, IMO.

Reply #250168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you're settling for too little. if you have all the other Aussie stars, those NBA guys aside if you have Saville, Newley, Anderson, Barlow etc. in NBL, can you imagine how much BETTER the league will be?

not sure about Penney but I beg to differ about CJ. he follow the $$$s. I know for me to pick between job security or insecurity, I'd definitely pick the former than later.

Reply #250171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not 'settling for too little', I'm making the most of what we do have available right now and the players that are suiting for Australian fans. It should be a pretty entertaining season and decent sales at a few clubs demonstrate good support from fans. It is what it is right now - you can either look at it bitterly or see some positives.

BTW, Saville is in the NBL, playing with Wollongong this season.

Reply #250173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think making most of what's available IS settling for less...

we'll have to see what ticket sales going to be like. realistically, loyal fans will obviously contiue their support but overall sale probably won't grow which means most clubs are going to struggle again. also expect some casual fans to drop as they'll probably support something else.

the longtime fans definitely seem more interested than the media and probably NBL themselves about the upcoming season.

Reply #250176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh yeah thanks for reminding me Saville is back.

Reply #250177 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The standard of the league is phenomenal. For a league spending $1 mill to have a standard at the level of every national league except NBA and ACB is just incredible.

NBL teams acquit themselves well against international competition, and while a handful of good (but not great) players have left, having only 8 teams means the standard is just as high.

Yes, it would be great to have those few players back in the league, but we have less top players overseas than rugby league, and much much less than soccer.

If you really think the NBL is a poor standard, take yourselfon a holiday through Europe and watch some ball over there - I guarantee you will come back with a new respect for our league.

Reply #250180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it also depend on which league you watch in Europe

Reply #250181 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Saville played last season too and the one before that and before that and so on...
Not sure where you think he's been.

Reply #250182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i got Saville confused with Matt Neilsen. oops

Reply #250183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Your original point was about local players leaving and I don't think it's been too significant. Loughton, Khazzouh, Knight or Carter are not drawcards. Ingles was always going, and Barlow's been the only real name departure.

The guys that bring crowds are still here: Redhage, Schenscher, Penney, Bruton, Anstey, Worthington, Williams, Saville, etc.

Reply #250185 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I will add that this is not an argument with any resolution. You've commented that players have left the league and that's not questioned. But as long as the cream of the NBA isn't in the NBL, there's a subjective argument about talent levels, no matter what.

Given that, and given that individual fans can't dictate minutes per game, which players stay in the league, etc, we might as well appreciate what we have. And with or despite that, what we have got is pretty decent, all things considered.

Reply #250187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all i'm saying it can be better. not saying talent-level in the league is crap but it could be much better if the league is strong. and it is the responsibility of the league to maintain or improve its talent level thus product. obviously things haven't been working out so changes needed. perhaps even better product is needed to raise entertainment value for tv? maybe we need guys out here scoring 50 and 60pts to make headlines?

if fans are content with what's presented now (which many aren't) the league simply won't improve; and it hasn't for a long time now.

Reply #250190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not content, I'm just trying to spread positive news about what we do have right now to help boost the league and the club owners pushing through tough times. I run this site and spend a lot of time on it trying to generate constructive criticism where it can increase pressure and help and positive views where that's more appropriate (e.g., something like playing rosters that aren't easy for the league to influence).

Reply #250191 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'm with Isaac and Paul on this. We have the best available on court this season. We have more talenmt on each team arguably than ever before, with deeper teams as a result of the rationalisation.
Lets get behind it and support it and ensure the league never collapses again.
Players from our league - for both Australia and New Zealand - form the basis of two national teams that are rankedn within the top 15 in the world. And these teams play predominantly with players based in the NBL most of the time. Not a bad effort at all.

Reply #250198 | Report this post

disagree  
Years ago

LC, I strongly disagree with your comment about having more talent on teams than ever before. The teams through the early to late 90's were easily stronger than what we have now and I'll tell you the huge difference between now and then, is the quality of imports we can attract. While the standard of european basketball is in question by some of you, they still pay the big bucks and attract the better US players. Having said that, it's not as if the NBL was paying huge dollars back in the 90's but good quality imports came, why is that? Becuase the product was better, the league was better and it was a credible place to play.

Reply #250201 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The timing of our league back then also assisted in attracting a better quality import. However I would argue the quality of our local talent is now far deeper than it has ever been, even if the imports are not.

Reply #250203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so 'disagree' is correct, it's arguably deeper back then.

I find it hard to continue support a league that have continued to overpromise and underdeliver. Once again it feels like the fans care much more about the league than the league itself. I understand it's not a easy task they're onto but as many mentioned before the recent success of other sports really make you question what the NBL is onto.

In all reality there's yet to be a significant move by NBL that'll better the league in a noticable way, and such move hasn't happened for quite some time. Their fall and rise in AFL just show poor management and decisions, there's no doubt about that.

I understand you guys trying to remain positive, but it also have to depend on whether if the product is worthwhile the praise. I honestly wish the league well but realistically it still doesn't look to get any better sooner or later. Not even a photon in the tunnel.

Reply #250207 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not supporting the league as much as I am supporting the players, coaches and clubs. Maybe it'd be different if I didn't have family and friends playing, owning, administering, etc, but I still enjoy following the game besides that and despite any frustrations from the league.

Reply #250212 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The reason many believe that the imports that played during the 90s were better than today's is because the league wasn’t as good, so they could dominate. Now, we have a competition deep with local talent, imports of the same level are just good players in the comp.

Most imports that play here were successful in college and have been double figure scorers in Europe, which is considered very good in that style of play.

The local players who were playing in the NBL in the 90s grew up in an era (70s and early 80s) where there was low levels of basketball participation, far inferior junior development, and where our junior national teams were poor to middling. Ie: a poor depth of talent.

The players playing now come from an era of 500-600K people playing in Australia, and where our junior national teams are considered an international power, despite the massive improvements in basketball around the world. Add to that the fact that there are less teams in the league and New Zealand players now play as locals, further improving the depth.

The level of play now is comfortably better than in the 90s. Back then, it was not unusual for a team to have 3 players on the court who could not hit from the perimeter, now it is unusual to have more than one, if any.

Enjoy what you have got. And don’t come into every season with the expectation that the league, popularity wise, should be back where it was in the 90s. It is simply not possible at this point. Even the A-League with Lowy money is not on FTA and struggles to attract any genuine mainstream interest.

Reply #250213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm certainly not expecting the popularity that it once had but I'd like to see growth and improvements.

I very much agree with Isaac here, I have full support of the players and coaches etc. I feel their pain and obviously those ones who's lost their job over the past few years...Slingers, Bullets, Kings, Dragons, that's a total of 40+ jobs lost and I feel sorry for those guys. Poor club management aside but the league also has to do with a club's failure.

Reply #250221 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with you 100% on that Anon - club admins and past league admins have certainly dropped the ball - particualrly in the late 90s early 2000s.

But it cant be fixed overnight, and there certainly isn't the money to do mass promotion properly. From what I know, BA has placed a strong emphasis on clubs spending sustainably this year, and expanding community programs. Those are baby steps, but very important ones.

I personally don’t expect a big relaunch next year, the focus needs to be on building slowly from the base up in my opinion.

Reply #250229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't really see how their plan is going to work. Addressing community is a good cause but won't do very much to draw people into the stadium. Even if it does, the amount of people they're able to reach this way is far to too small a figure. Adding on to that it's not like they need any more casual warriors playing the game.

regarding money to do mass promotion, once again take a look at netball and soccer, I don't think they had much money either. not sure if they're doing well but at least it's out there and you (at least I) can recognize many of their players. I believe if basketball have the promotion they had NBL will be much more successful based on participation. and notice the recent netball promos, they promote individual players not the team. I think that is key, we been promoting the whole team and missing out altogether where people end up not knowing a single player.

Reply #250279 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't really recognise any active netball players and maybe one or two A-League players.

The league plugged Barlow and Wortho for a recent Boomers series and neither played - that's the risk in going with individual players.

Can't comment on what netball spent in their ANZ transformation but Paul or HO might know. Remember someone saying they paid for the OneHD privilege?

Reply #250296 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Netball had serious govt money (and are still no better off than basketball in terms of crowds or media exposure they dont pay for) and soccer had squillions of Lowy dollars and most of their clubs are struggling.

Getting the community angle right in basketball stadiums and schools (ie receptive audience) is far more $$ efficient than running mass media campaigns that are unlikely to convert non-NBL fans (ie most of the poeple that will see them).

Reply #250300 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

A lot of reply's for my first started form

Reply #250312 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

I meant his

Reply #250313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

without seeing these guys on TV people's going to be far less interested to spend money to see them live. the importance of FTA allow fans to follow their team without having to pay. in reality, right now NBL is catered for loyal fans, other than Foxtel that's the only way to follow the game. and mind you majority of people don't have Foxtel.

I know the producer for NBL games and he said netball spent big money on OneHD; obviously with support of ANZ.

I truely think if NBL would spent some money on OneHD the result will be far superior to netball for good reasons. even though netball may still be struggling but got to remember where it was and came from. it has grown far superior comparing to basketball.

Reply #250316 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

What happened to the Assie thing of giving something a red hot go?
A lot of you people out there are prophets of doom, and I think you aren't giving Larry, the NBL and all the team owners half a chance.
I've got my seasons ticket, and I can't wait for the season to start.

Reply #250321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

also worthwhile mentioning, the friend of mine (the producer) who went to Darwin for the NBL preseason said it was dreadful. he said one of the first preseason games had about 8 attendances not including staff. although things picked up afterwards however attendances were over 400 tops.

I understand Darwin's not a basketball powerhouse to start with but he said that's primarily because there were next to no marketing (the ticket prices was $5~$10) in the media and he think somebody went around to schools as well.

been a media person himself he's obviously bias, but he said if NBL's on FTA it'll reach out to millions of household in comparison to NBL guys doing community work (not to mention many of them guys just stand around do nothing anyway)!?!?! and the ability of the game to actually grab viewer's attention is also superior to sport like netball so it'll most likely to work better than netball on FTA. I know so many of my non-basketball friends who were just tuning around for programs and settled for NBA when it was on during the season. and they started talking about it to me the next day! same thing as NFL!

Reply #250323 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers have done an awesome job in the pre season getting around promoting the game and the club in Auckland and New Zealand. My 2 nephews go to school on the north shore near the clubs base and rung me up fizzing at the bum on how the players had come to school and their mini ball games and spent time with them (they only know kirk penny tho lol). The result is that my sister who hates sport is now the biggest breakers fan in their house and will be taking the family to every home game. I have alot of customers at work who are not historically Bball fans who are now staunch supporters due to the way the club carry themselves in the community. Bring on thurs night.

Reply #250352 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

FTA would be good, but it would cost a lot and there's no guarantee non-fans would watch. I don’t watch motor racing, golf or netball! And I believe just as many sports fans watch fox sports as do One HD (please correct me if Im wrong).

Before spending that money, get into basketball stadiums and reach those people who are already interested in basketball, get them knowing the players and attending games, and once that is moving in the right direction there might actually be a market for the game if it got on FTA.

Reply #250370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the thing is without seeing the players play nobody'd give the f*ck whoever walks into the stadium.

I may be bias but basketball seem to be able to draw non-fans when shown on TV. I remember sitting at the casino and as soon as they switched the channel to basketball there's always been a decent crowd coming along. So non-fans wouldn't watch FTA basketball? I'd highly disagree with that. Though NBA on OneHD will probably help getting interest back a bit.

Reply #250412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:44 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754