ESP
Years ago

NH: Plaxico Burress Jail Term - Thoughts

I know its old news, but am interested in opinion out there.

Burress ended up with 2 years in the slammer for accidentally shooting himself in the foot (literally).

The gun was registered to himself (but in another state) and it accidentally discharged while he was in a night club.

I know many would say "why did he have a gun in a club" but in his defence, too many pro athletes have been shot or killed lately, i don't blame him for having some protection....

In any case IMO, two years for accidentally harming himself is very excessive, effectively ending his fantastic career as well, he will be 34 when he gets out.

Thoughts?

Topic #21061 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Its the laws, and he was stupid enough to do it in the State of New York, which has strict federal laws and the judiciary (judges) are not scared to impose harsh sanctions. If Burress escaped a Jail term, it would only encourage other 'gangsters' to bring guns into clubs and other public arenas..Personally, I thought the sanction was just and a way of reminding other individuals that bringing guns into public places will not be tolerated. He went to jail, and that's going to help deturr crime and discourage others from doing the same. Hopefully, that reduces the murder rate in New York, and specifically the number of nightclub/club/bar stabbings or shootings.

Reply #250320 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

pretty harsh for Cheddar Bob to go to jail for that length of time, maybe he can make a football team inside and play the guards and they could make a movie about it?

Reply #250350 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I think there's no doubt that the sentence was handed down with the deterrent factor in mind. It does seem like quite a strict penalty, but on the other hand I don't feel particularly sorry for him. I mean, he's all sorry and contrite now, but before the incident he was pretty brash and arrogant in general... I must admit, I already thought he was a tool before the shooting incident. Hopefully he hasn't already whittled away his millions and can still support his family when he gets out, regardless of whether he gets another NFL gig.

Reply #250367 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

All valid points. I do feel there was an element of tall poppy syndrome in the 2 years. Yes, give him time, but 6 months would have achieved the same amount of media for the judicial system i feel.

Reply #250399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754