Anonymous
Years ago

Maher to Turkey

An anonymous source has recently confirmed that Brett Maher has played his final game in Adelaide in quite a long time....he didn't mention the team but was 100% certain Maher would be playing in Turkey.

Topic #2107 | Report this topic

mark  
Years ago

It will be strange seeing the 6ers without Brett, but I wish him the best with his opportunites in Europe.

Reply #23854 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Oh no..........!

Reply #23855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure if this would be a short contract or the real deal, but if the rumour proves accurate, best of luck Brett. You've been a loyal and tireless captain for the 36ERS and I hope your European experiences are what you're looking for at this stage of your career.

I think Mark Dickel is playing in Turkey actually...

Reply #23856 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

Don't forget to listen to Talking Hoops tonight at 6.30 on Coast FM 88.7 and perhaps ask Brett himself on the talkback segment if he hasn't already left for Turkey.

Reply #23861 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

I heard that they were giving ABL programs out as prizes tonight on talking hoops. I didn't think that they were that rare.

Reply #23865 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

Well done to Brett Maher, he has been the Sixer's best player ever and one of the states finest sporting exports. He is loyal to both the Sixers program and the state of South Australia so lets just wait until he comes back to finish his glorious career as a Sixer in 2 or 3 years time. But saying this he may not even leave

Reply #23873 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Pre Brad Hill i was fearful of what would happen to the sixers when Brett either retired or went os.

Give Hill the same minutes as Brett and the same productivity will result.

More turnovers than Brett but they will subside with experience and maturity.

Reply #23884 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Same results??!! I think Glenside has lost another patient!

Reply #23886 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

Give the kid a 100 odd games to develop into a stand out game winner Kent Brockman.

Brad Hill will be a Phenom but he will not be a gun player next year. 12 point 4 assist and a few rebounds per game would be a very good result IMO but with the quicker than expected development in Brad Newley are the expectations of the AIS kids coming into the NBL increasing?

Reply #23891 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah heard something like this on the news a couple of days ago. At the time they floated the idea that he may be able to play in Turkey and the 36ers seasons. Cant really see it working but LJ splits the wnba and wnbl seasons so you never know. Anyway if he is off all the best he deserves all he gets and lets hope someday he can come back to the sixers is some role.

Reply #23902 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Brad Hill will be great some day, but for now we can't risk another Championship next season. He is not a replacement for Maher just yet. His time will come, but not now.

Reply #23912 | Report this post

Pitstop  
Years ago

When does he have to make up his mind by? ie to let the 36ers know and also the bball members of the club?

Reply #23920 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

does anyone know for sure if Mee is an oz cit yet? this rumor about mee, dusty, farley is great if it works but can anyone confirm that its a real chance. I just feel if Mee has become an australian it would have made news somewhere.

Reply #23924 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Good news - Channel 10 news tonight Brett said he's only going for a few months and will be back on time for next NBL season.

Who knows what will happen when he gets to Turkey though. They may love him so much which is not hard to do and decide to extend his contract. But for now, he will be back.

Reply #23927 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Yogee is 100% sure that mee is NOT an aussie....yet

Reply #23932 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

ok, guess its all for nothing anyway if brett splits the season. We could never get brett, willie, dusty, and mee in the same side. I dont know if i like the split thing with brett, there are so if "what if's" he could get hurt and we will have no quality play to fill his shoes, he could stay over there or move to another league or country on the back of his time there. Hopefully it works and he gets his pay day.

Reply #23944 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

This is by the side, but thought it could go here.

I was at training last week, and Steve Breheny was giving the players a copy of the points rankings allocated for next year.

He stated to the players that the club was happy with the rankings, and would not challenge (they could protest 1 player only), and that if the players were unhappy, they could challenge on their own. It seems no one was unhappy with what they got.

If only someone had mislaid their copy so I could have had a peek :)

Reply #23950 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

Phil Smyth stated on 5aa interview that 36ers are at the lower end of all the teams in the point allocation. I think he said our tally was only 62 out of a maximum 76 points. There is room, but obviously no money, as they are asking Phil and Steve to take a pay cut.
For the record Phil said they would be prepared to take a pay cut, but that they would want the security of a 5 year deal as an incentive to do so. 36ers are only offerinf a 2+1yr deal at this stage.

Reply #24028 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Given dwindling attendances and Coach gets paid more than the players, makes sense to take a pay cut, and 2+1 sounds MORE than acceptable, maybe even generous.

Reply #24034 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754