Isaac
Years ago

NBL Round 1 POTW - CJ Bruton

Opening the Breaker's quest to become the first Kiwi team ever to capture a championship in a major Australian professional league, Bruton was instrumental in guiding New Zealand to their season-opening 95-75 win over the Cairns Taipans at the North Shore Events Centre in Auckland on Thursday.

The popular point guard scored 28 points and added five rebounds, two assists and one steal but it was his sizzling shooting performance that really caught people’s attention. Bruton went 10-of-11 from the field, including an amazing 8-of-9 from three-point territory, to form a lethal one-two punch with backcourt partner Kirk Penney.
Also in contention were Kirk Penney, Tywain McKee from the Hawks, and John Gilchrist from the 36ers who had 20/10/6 on debut.
Other leading contenders for the NBL Player of the Week in Round One included Phill Jones (Cairns), Julien 'Skip' Mills (Cairns), James Harvey (Gold Coast), Cameron Tragardh (Wollongong), Shawn Redhage (Perth), Ayinde Ubaka (Gold Coast), Michael Cedar (Townsville), Corey 'Homicide' Williams (Townsville), Matthew Burston (Adelaide) and Rolan Roberts (Townsville).

Topic #21144 | Report this topic

Bill  
Years ago

Definitely CJ (unconscious and not that many open looks) or Penney. Daylight second.
Rare for two on same side to have such stellar nights from down town.
Probably give it to CJ, because he was coming back from injury. Must barely have had a couple of weeks practice.

Reply #251073 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I actually think Penney has been sold short this time around. What I would give for his thoughts...

Penney was my Round 1 MVP. CJ was 2nd, with guys like McKee and Gilchrist a distant 3rd and 4th IMO.

Reply #251110 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Penney was prob a look in but CJ missed 1 shot so I'd stick with him on POTW plus Penney always has next week lol. When the doc said operating on his elbow would help his shooting I bet he wasn't expecting him to absolutely shoot the lights out at the NSEC. If CJ keeps shooting like that everyone else is in serious trouble.

Reply #251194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754