Anonymous
Years ago

Womens Div 2 blowout - Norwood 125, South 23?

From Sporting Pulse noticed huge blow out last night South 23 v Norwood 125. Are Norwood that good or error?

Topic #21158 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

south played under 16's for junior development, not 1 player with any senior games before last night

Reply #251240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

real smart,by south, under 18's i can understand but why would you send young kids to the slaughter, bet it does nothing to develop their confidence and skills when you are chasing tail all night

Reply #251241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought this is only possible in NBA Live games

Reply #251264 | Report this post

filthy mexican  
Years ago

I dont normally weigh in on topics like this but I think some information is required.

The south under 16's have been earmarked for the summer division 2 season for the past 6 months. when the competition changed to exclude the division 1 league the under 16 coaches and players were given the option to play or not.

After talking to a south assistant coach and a south committee member (there were 5 of the committee watching the game) the players, parents and committee were not disappointed with the result. In fact most of the parents were over the moon with the opportunity.

South has had a history of ignoring their juniors I think they are trying to rectify that and I say good luck, the girls are going to play every 2 or third game and work towards improving against tougher competition in order to avoid continued 80 point losses that they had during last junior season.

Reply #251276 | Report this post

Flames  
Years ago

In fact South Adelaide contacted the Club to let us know of the 16's, we played only 3 normal ABL players,and they were u 20.
It is unfortunate that the score was so one way, but I can see method in what Glen and the Club are doing trying to push the girls.

Reply #251281 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

maybe they would be better developed in div 3 or 4

Reply #251300 | Report this post

Years ago

desperate club, desperate players

wait til it happens week in week out.

why not put them in u21s ?

risky call putting them in as the front line team.

once the novelty wears off one can only hope reality will move in.

no problem running u16s in seniors - but as a front line player? they would have to be absoloute prodogies if i was the head coach.

if they are happy fine then

the club can do it - so it's only opinion.

glen is leading them to the promised land.

Reply #251313 | Report this post

Doh  
Years ago

Good move if all you want if for them to stick around in juniors until you can recruit other senior players into the club that can actually play.

Not sure they even won a game in U16's last year, and regularly got pummled by 50+. Some U16 div 2 teams would beat them.

How are those bench ABA and U20 players going to improve over summer if they doent play against other teams bench ABA and U20 players.

And what happens when U20 games start and Div 2 women move to the 8.40pm and later slots. I bet forfiets will occur.

Some clubs have no idea,

Reply #251320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Adelaide have obviously lost the plot entirely. What possible benefit can a bunch of U16 girls get from getting thrashed by 100 points, playing in a competition way above their skill level. From the sounds of other posts, their own U16 competition is above their skill level.

I mean it just boggles the mind to think that a group of coaches/parents at South can actually convince each other that this experiment could be a good thing and could be remotely beneficial to these girls. One would only hope that this week's result against Norwood would be enough to convince those in charge at South that this was a BAD idea and that they shouldn't throw the poor girls out onto the court again next week to be slaughtered on the scoreboard all over again.

The ball is in your court, South Adelaide.

Reply #251348 | Report this post

ps  
Years ago

The South 16 Div One girls team from this past season had 5 bottom age players. They won 4 and lost 2 by lesss than 5. They won by 30 in the final game of the season. As the season went on they improved immensely and took it right upto higher finishing Clubs. It was a tough season playing against dominant Clubs like Mav's, who had a high representative of Country State players, and Sturt, with a high representative of Metro State players,... teams who finished 2nd and 3rd in the U16 Nationals this year.

The team that took the court on Tuesday was predominantly last seasons U16 Div 2's ..getting ready for the new season.
4 of the bottom age girls from last season did not play Tuesday for various reasons but will most likely be available next game.
What happened on Tuesday was a postive experience. They will be a tougher unit for it. They are in very good hands. And, as previously stated, they will not be playing all games.
Good call..Bad call..Results in the new season will certainly indicate whether playing in W's Div 2 has been of benefit. Doing nothing would be worse.

Reply #251377 | Report this post

ceres69  
Years ago

I guess a club that struggles as much as South views things differently than the rest of us. There is no way you could call that a positive experience - there is nothing positive in a blowout of that magnitude, regardless of excuses you may have.

As for getting ready for the new season - South and its coaching staff must really be out of ideas if that's the best they can come up with.

Reply #251383 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Looks like nothing has changed with South Adelaide's policy towards their Senior Female Teams since I was last involved with the Club in the mid 1970's.

Reply #251396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's interesting such a non event is topical. Maybe you could ask Norwood why they play their U21 young players in ABl because they have hardly set the world on fire in that comp despite supposed potential. Their answer would be for experience and exposure.Maybe that's South's reason too!
Div 2 is so far removed from ABL standard it's not funny with so many lesser lights, fringe ABL players starring in it and floundering when the real season begins so why single out an ordinary performance by Souths as matter of national importance?
South's clearly have neglected their junior program but they are not orphans there are they and with Sturt's ability to capture all the young talent, Souths' suffer the same problems Woodville, Southern, Wests and Mavericks have, of not having a viable junior program, enough quality coaches and all are struggling to get enough teams to underpin their Div 1 programs.
On the other hand, Norwood have too many teams and precious little quality in those numbers and precious little in quality coaches. North are at the crossroads after being girls front runners for a number of years and centrals have the best facilities in the state and no one to use them.
Forestville and Sturt have through hard work and well placed 'friends' sown up junior basketball in this state. They have created a duopoly that will not be broken easily and the only way for the established clubs to flourish going forward is to realise that Adelaide cannot sustain the number of district clubs it has.Clubs need to merge!
The mooted cheapy, self run comps that BSA is pushing will not necessarily work on the grand scale BSA wants because quite simply the public are basketball overdosed and the BSA claim that more and more kids want to play social ball is exaggerated.
The premier basketball comp in Australia is not secure, organised or what the public wants which creates huge problems for junior basketball.Lets hope we don't get a final 8 in a comp of 10.
South's played their U16's in a senior Div 2 comp and got thrashed, Wow! - if that was the worst thing in basketball we'd all be high.

Reply #251400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would have to wonder at the original poster and a few who followed what their agenda was with this topic.
I think it is some pissed off parent who child is not currently being offered this opportunity or has and axe to grind with Glenn re how he runs the senior program.

This was trolling nothing more nothing less.
No blood, no tears, no wars started......no bylaws broken. Other clubs play 14 year old girls from ABA down to Div 5 but we dont hear about those occasions.

Reply #251402 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

That would be because those players are capable and not forced to play without other senior players around them.

Reply #251419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really (who I assume started the thread in the first place) isn't this something you should be handling internally?

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve by posting about a Div 2 South women's team which 99% of readers have no interest in.

Voice your concerns with the relevant people within your club, Senior ABA Coach, Reserves Coach, Seniors Rep on the Committee and if needed the Club President.

All you've done by posting on here is bash the club for which you're clearly involved in, and probably done more damage to South Adelaide and the South Women's Program then the coaches did by playing juniors in the first place.

Reply #251441 | Report this post

psst  
Years ago

251441. What an extraordinary assumption.....that a SABC member posted the original topic.
And for what purpose or gain?
Why could it not have been a basketball punter who randomly observed the score and felt the need to comment?.
Could have been a Flames member for all we know.
The maybes are endless. Your post did more damage than any other.

Reply #251444 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

Hmm, it would appear that this club is trying to change its methods, which is clearly not a bad thing. It would have been and interesting struggle on some club person's part to get a club whose policies preclude players playing up age groups ( ie an u16 into u18's) to then send a large group of u16's directly into a senior competition. At least they seem to be trying something. They are one of the oldest clubs yet seem to have the worst facilities, and are clearly the bottom ranked district junior girls club. How you can get to change that is a good question. At least they do not seem to be in denial.

Reply #251729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

old and gray, Could always adopt the woodville psyche where their under 16's are their ABL side

Reply #251731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought it was against the new bylaws to play u16's. Thought the new by law read that a player had to be 16 or turning 16 in the playing year. Which would make it only u18's, on can play senior basketball?

Reply #251798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

age limits are a joke. some clubs have the same players playing in U18,U21, Div2 and Div 1 as non starters.

Reply #251814 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754