LC
Years ago

Iverson's Detroit story: "Worst of my career"

Allen Iverson has come out to clarify what he views as the worst season of his career with the Detroit Pistons last season.

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/w0abv

Allen Iverson calls his one season in Detroit the "worst year of my career" and claims team officials, and head coach Michael Curry, "lied" to him about coming off the bench instead of starting.

Allen Iverson describes a miserable season with the Detroit Pistons in a candid and revealing interview with Page 2's Scoop Jackson. Story

"They told me, straight up, 'Allen we would never disrespect you or your career like that' by making me come off the bench," Iverson said in an interview with ESPN.com Page 2 columnist Scoop Jackson. "That's what they told me to my face. And after that, I never thought about it again. I just went back to playing. Then, they came to me saying that they felt it would be in the 'best interest of the team' if I came off of the bench behind Rip [Richard Hamilton].

"... After that, they told me that if I didn't come off the bench -- the team was going to lie down [not play] on me.

"... When he told me that, that's when I felt that this was the worst career move I'd ever made and it was the worst year of my career."

Topic #21169 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Detroit probably thought they were making a decent move before seeing that it wasn't working too well and being pressured to shift him to the bench.

Reply #251434 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Why is coming off the bench "disrespecting your career" anyways? You get old, you slow down - that's no disrespect, it's just plain fact!

I hope Iverson enjoys his career at Memphis... :s

Best quote ever regarding his new team: "It's a lose-lose, unless we win."

Reply #251438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Exactly. Brett Maher came off the bench, Tony Ronaldson is currently coming off the bench. Whatever works.

Reply #251439 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Jeff Dowdell comes off the bench.

Reply #251445 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No wonder Detroit was a disaster last year. Number one, what idiot would give Iverson a guarantee he would start when they didn't have to?

Number two, what kind of ego-maniac walks onto a good team, EXPECTS to start and then alienates his team mates so much they threaten to quit on the season if he doesn't accept coming off the bench?

Reply #251449 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

If it makes you feel any better AI, your time at Detroit was the worst time of this Detroit fan's basketball life too.

Reply #251463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iverson's a career loser, he's now right where he deserves to be. AI, Zach Randolph and a young Grizzlies team, man that's gonna be fun when that all blows up.

Odds on Iverson being waived before the season even finishes?

Reply #251465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1000 - 1

Reply #251469 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It's not who starts its who finishes.

Sometimes theres 2 much wank in basketball!

Maybe thats why aussies cant get into it!!

Reply #251529 | Report this post

I.C weiner  
Years ago

bloody yank

Reply #251610 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:13 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754