Years ago

First Round Game Attendances

03/10/09 NBL: 36ers d Breakers 4,671
03/10/09 NBL: Taipans d Wildcats 3,114
02/10/09 NBL: Blaze d Hawks 1,943
02/10/09 NBL: Wildcats d Crocodiles 4,276
30/09/09 NBL: Tigers d Breakers 2,857

Source: www.austadiums.com/

Good job Adelaide we got the highest attendance numbers of the round, but we can do better, we gotta hit 5000 Friday, i know its a big ask but if we get our friends to roll thru we can do this!

Topic #21199 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

5k is a lofty goal, but might as well aim high. Working against the 36ers are the fact that it's a Friday and not Maher's singlet retirement. Working for the club are the fact that the fence-sitters will have seen the result from Saturday and seen a lot of positives to interest them.

Reply #251810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, Can't SOS wheel out Maher for something else this week? Maybe some sort of Bundaberg Rum promotion at half-time in honour of our soft-headed friends up north? ;)

True to form they've already forced the mods to lock the Crocs/Wildcats thread on Oz Hoops.

Reply #251817 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'll definitely be there this Friday night.

Reply #251820 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

$5 interstate streaming I'll be cheering through the screen.

Reply #251822 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Approx 29,000 people so far for the first 9 games, which is approx 3200 and where it usually is this early in the season. Hopefully the even comp and close games will help it build.

Reply #251831 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I heard the clubs been giving out a lot of 2 for 1 tickets, so that might help push the numbers up.

Reply #251833 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

I think a first round game is going to attract season ticket holders and other Sixers die hards...it'll take a couple of games (wins) to build momentum I think.

It's a shame there's no replay of the NZ game on TV or something - the quality of that game would go along way toward bringing in more people.

Reply #251834 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

What about the GC Blaze, 1943, thats ridiculous, also apparently the season opener was lower,this is a reall worry for the gold coast. Though i am not suprised when you have the oweners family doing everything and claxton, none of them are business savvy. Crowds are worst than last season when they finished last.

Reply #251881 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Joyce dramas and last season's results killed them. The further drop is likely a few season ticket holders giving up until they see improvement.

Reply #251884 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As Isaac said, it takes a while to win fans back. The Dragons didnt get back to 2007 crowds after their disastrous 2008.

But having said that, the soccer got 4000 on the weekend, and the AFL has had crowds as low as 5000 at the Gold Coast.

Reply #251895 | Report this post

mj  
Years ago

You can't compare a current non-AFL city to NBL attendances Paul. In fact you can't compare AFL to NBL on any level. Let's be realistic, the NBL attendances were poor on the weekend! Fewre teams, better talent (so you all say) and the crowds still didn't turn up. And what do you expect, no promotion for a league that almost didn't happen! It will take time for the average joe to realize that basketball has even started. That's just the reality of where basketball sits currently. I appreciate that you all love to look on the positive side but at some stage you'll need to accept that despite the change of a BA CEO, basketball will never get back to its glory days. There are just too many other options for people to spend their dough these days and with rising livings costs, etc, it won't happen in my lifetime. I love the sport but the best thing for basketball to do would be to go back to a amateur league played on weekends.

Reply #251901 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Making a simple point mj, that a number of sports are struggling to attract crowds on the Gold Coast. Sorry if that offends.

No question the Blaze need to improve that figure, but how much improvement is there if sports with much bigger budgets cant get a crowd?

Reply #251903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Blaze are screwed with the current management they have in place. they are way below breakeven numbers. i cant see them surviving past this season on the GC. They needed someone with business and marketing smarts and they dont have that. they will be lucky to sustain 2000 ppl now.

Reply #251914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

mj, why go back to an amateur league if clubs can get 2-5k to a game the way they're going now?

Reply #251927 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

interesting point reference joyce, but i dont think thats the case, they had bigger crowds at the end of the season when he was coaching. the problem is the management of the club and the owners/claxton trying to do everything. i agree the gc will fold.

Reply #251937 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I already explained what might've caused the drop from late last season to the start of this season.

Besides the last game of the season, the others leading up to that were around 2,000 - 2,700. The last game of the season was a Saturday. This one (first game of the season) was a Friday and just under 2,000. Given how many deserted the team during the Joyce season, it might take a while for them to start to come back.

Reply #251940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Blaze in the past had many Sunday arvo games which are not that great a time slot.

This past game was a Friday night during school holidays. They have family packages of 2 adults and 4 children for next to nothing this season. They should have gone close to a sell out, start of the season and all. Very poor effort.

People in the crowd were pissed off with Joyce after the very first game of last season.

The actual game night production barely changed from season 1 to season 2, if anything it got worse. There is nothing new or exciting to make people want to go. The lack of marketing and business nous is going to hurt them. At least one of the owners has said that Claxton isnt a CEO, however they are stuck with him as Claxton is a shareholder.

Very sad, as once they go we will never get a team back again.

Reply #251959 | Report this post

Robbo  
Years ago

Adel crowd was great considering long weekend in adel for a sat night game

Reply #252015 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:41 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754