LC
Years ago

This week in basketball: 20 years ago

BA have posted an historical recount of a week of basketball 20 years ago thanks to historian Nicholas Way...

BA Link: http://linky.com.au/s5ol7

In a trip down memory lane, the article recounts the semi finals series between the North Melbourne Giants and Perth Wildcats and the series between the Sydneky Kings and Canberra Cannons...

And I was there for the North Melbourne score-fest!

And then there is this...

Question of the week:

Brett Maher's number was retired last weekend by the Adelaide 36ers. The question is: Which player in your team’s history (NBL or WNBL) should have their number retired?

Send your views to [email protected] with 'Question of the week’ in the subject line. A selection of the best responses may be printed in the weeks to come. If you have memories to share, or topics that should be discussed, send an email to [email protected] and put in the subject line ‘Back in the Day’.

Topic #21206 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Good reading that. I'd forgotten what high scoring games they were. 165-110 and 142-82 is just ridiculous! So is the image of Fisher playing 'run and run and run' basketball! WTF?

Love the fact that the Kings had to take the bus back home after getting walloped that badly and then stopped at a pub to get hammered on the way home as well! Bit different to today's league thats for sure.

Would I be right in thinking the Sixers went out at the hands of the Wildcats that year? I remember around that time I would watch the Sixers play in Perth or at the Glasshouse and marvel at the way they always seemed hopelessly overmatched by very powerful teams, yet would manage to scrap their way through, only to lose gallantly at the end. (Bit like watching the English soccer team really).

Reply #251900 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This article made me pull out the old tape from the deciding game between Canberra and North Melbourne.
Good times.

Reply #251943 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thats a nice piece of history to have LC. The few NBL games I ever taped are probably in landfill somewhere these days!

I like that BA have got themselves a historian and will presumably get him to keep posting articles on their site on a regular basis. Over time it can hopefully become a great online repository of NBL and Boomers history for diehards to reminisce and new fans to learn about.

Reply #251948 | Report this post

Doddbird  
Years ago

Was at that Cannons game. We snuck in at half time after watching the first half on TV. The Cannons were a good team that year. Great backcourt with Smyth, Kennedy and Doof.

Reply #252048 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The picture is unfortunately very grainy on the old VHS (like the NBA hall of fames games on One HD), but nonetheless it was great to go back and watch it.

Giants had an imposing front court with Scott Fisher, Tim Dillon and Ray Borner, with Cecil Exum coming off the bench. Wayne Carroll, David Graham and Mark Leader headed their back court.

Cannons in addition to Smyth, Kennedy and Dufelmeier, also had big Willie Simmons (complete with goggles( and Simon Cottrell. Gee big Willie knew how to block a shot!

Reply #252049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754