LC
Years ago

NBL: Tigers @ Breakers (8-Oct)

Tip-off is less than an hour away. No Penney for the Breakers and no Crosswell for the Tigers.

Can the Tigers back up their win against the Breakers at home with a win on the road against against the same team who lost 2 straight away from New Zealand?

NBL Preview: http://linky.com.au/16eez

Game is televised live on Fox Sports.

Live Stats Link: http://linky.com.au/yt8al

I predict Tigers by 4.

Topic #21224 | Report this topic

Bill  
Years ago

Listening to Dan Vickerman they intend starting Ronaldson. This could be a leg up for Tigers bacause who can he mark, other than Johnson.
Awvee is playing SF so who is SG? Surely not Oscar?
Boucher surely has to get more minutes in this one.

We match up so poorly against them. They expoit our defensive weaknesses and when they get their offense going, because we were lucky in Melbourne it looked real rusty, we could end up chasing the game.

From Breakers viewpoint if Luke Kendall runs the point that will help us, he is error prone although he can score.
We need Rickert to step up.
CJ will be pleased Crosswell is out. He did a real good job last time on CJ.
Breakers by 1.

Reply #252115 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Home teams to win.

Reply #252129 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Breakers get the W...woeful last quarter by the Tigers. Full court man-to-man pressue and they coughed the ball up far too many times.

Reply #252131 | Report this post

mimas26  
Years ago

does anyone know why tommy greer did not play?

Reply #252132 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers were so cold 4 ages, CJ played well all game and @ 1 stage it was only Foreman and Bruton who could find the net for NZ, Storey got sum weak calls against with Worthington milking all he could. Oscar played a some good D fouling out, Breakers used up alot of fouls not getting much home court love. Melbourne made most of their freethrows while NZ bombed open looks for ages. Pledger got some minutes as did Cory Webster and they both hustled hard and played ok, Pledger got a hand to most rebounds offensively but was well marked.
Abercrombie missed some 3's open but made some sweet dunks so his effort was solid and the Bear hit some big 3's down the stretch. Went along for the live experience, good crowd as always. Heckled Worthington hard all game, Woooooooorrrrrrrrrttttthingtoooooooooooooonnnnnnn lol. Stoked 2 get a win that I thought that wasn't gonna happen without Penney.

Reply #252134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

mimas, Greer was injured, Crosswell too.

Didn't see a replay of Forman's fifth foul, but it seemed pretty unlucky at first look, just after he'd started to have a bit of an impact.

The Breakers are still not looking too cohesive. Not sure what's changed about the game this year, but there's a lot more contact making open shots and smooth drives so much tougher.

Reply #252136 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Almost according to script.
Woeful first half. Lemanis made way too many subs.
Second half out defended them, and Tigers lost composure.
Worthington good player that he is, turns into a cry baby when things don't go his way.
Press worked a treat. Kendall hopless handling ball.
CJ huge game at SG.
Rickert had his best game ever for Breakers.
Boucher got his minutes and created havoc.
I like the balance of Henare, CJ, Boucher, Rickert and Abercrombie five.
Interesting Awvee not required for much of second half.
With Penney not playing, allowed CJ to become focus and he delivered. Far more balanced look about our offence, although first half was still perimeter oriented and looked terrible.

Reply #252142 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Man that was some bad refereeing. The most over-officiated game I've seen in a while, and don't get me started on the travel call this year.

Reply #252153 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Missed the first half due to work, got home right on half time. Fired up the box and saw a half time score of 30-34!? Damn low scoring. Had a flick through centrebet and the Breakers were paying over $3!? A little surprised threw a few down and 2nd half total was at 78.5, surely they'd get over that!

Great 4th quarter by the Breakers to take what should have been a Tigers win. Tigers rattled under pressure and struggled to define WHO their ball carrier was and help him, instead just a mess of bad passes bringing it up.

Oscars 5th foul did look pretty soft, but than alot of his fouls are the soft taps.

Breakers would have to be happy with that win without their money man Penney.

Reply #252170 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

yeah Oscar had a couple of weak calls go against him early and then it hurt him down the stretch. Whingington wasn't given much room to move and Sammy Mac didn't get away with half as much as he did in the last game. Breakers freethrow shooting was poor where the Tigers were solid. At one stage we played live by the 3 die by the 3 and I could feel the game slipping away but some real solid defence and hustle got NZ back in it. Hammercrombie had a solid game on offence and defence pulling down plenty of boards and his fake the 3 then go inside for the 2 handed dunk lifted the crowd. Ricket had a couple of nice moves down on the block and plenty of boards and a nice block. Storey needs to stop trying to play shooting guard and get his hands dirty but he played good d on Whingington before he got slapped with a few pretty average fouls.

Reply #252171 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Breakers free throw shooting was dismal 55%. Should have put them away at line.
Fanatstic crowd, really got into the last quarter, saw the boys home.
Tigers fell apart in that final period. O'Hea,nice stroke. Worthington got distracted.
Abercrombie is excitment plus. Just like to see him do a little more in half court.
Webster tried too hard to take game on his own.

Reply #252173 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bill, and there's no reason Abercrombie can't provide more given some spacing to move as he definitely has the speed to draw someone up with the fake (e.g., Mackinnon) and then get in and around the defense a bit.

I saw Pyrocross suggesting on OzHo that they think the Breakers will wait for free agents to drop out of the NBA pre-season and try to pick up a replacement for Storey. I know the two losses so far haven't been by much, but they should be putting most teams away, home or road.

Reply #252176 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

True Isaac, but after a while people will work out that his 3 pointer is a slow set shot and he hasn't shown he can hit enough of them to warrant flying at him.
To me he looks as though he looks to go by his man, thinks about it and bails out. He looks a little unsure as to whether he should or not.
Still all in all, he is a fantastic prospect.

Agree very inconsistent refereeing, blowing some slight hand checks and ignoring blatant holds???

Good call Mystro. Since when did we run around setting double picks so that Storey can come around for a 3???? And when he gets the ball and goes on a dribble I just cringe.
If he stuck to his job rebounding and defence we, and he would be better off.
Right now he seems redundant.

Reply #252180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But anything but a top-tier SF is probably going to be a little difficult to fit in. If they did make a change, I'd almost favour just getting the best available player at whatever position.

Reply #252185 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Breakers could do worse than Liam Rush - and given the quality of their organisation he could become a long term player for them. As for an import, they just need someone who can rebound, defend and hit the open jumper. He doesn't necessarily have to be a scorer.

Someone on OzHo said Bruton definitely isn’t returning to the Breakers next year, anyone else heard that? Of course, if Rickert is naturalised they can replace CJ with an import – but you’d imagine a new Brisbane outfit would chase him pretty hard.

Reply #252188 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Dam right Bill, CJ was getting mugged going up the court and yet Oscar and Storey were getting blown for some pretty weak handcheck fouls and Whingington was swinging his elbows round on offence yet no call. Just gotta play 2 tha whistle I spose and take what you get. Tigers hardly put up anything from behind the arc yet when they did they hit them, couldn't work out why they didn't punish us. Breakers shot poorly all round the court but especially from 3point land and it wasn't helped by the fact Storey was putting up bricks from outside instead of tidying up everyone elses like he is supposed to.

Reply #252220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754