Anonymous
Years ago

Adelaide & Townsville Streaming - More on the way?

With the 36ers and Crocs leading the way in fan content and streaming all their home games online its not unlikey, that should these 2 teams experience success with this experiment, that more teams will follow and we would end up with a arrangement similar to nba league pass. I'm hopeful that this will happen along with improved TV coverage (hopefully on ONE HD) meaning just about every NBL game is accessible on way or another. There's one thing for sure, Townsville and Adelaide should be congratulated on what they are providing for their die hard fans. Not to mention it should also make the clubs some money.

One a side note I find it interesting that the 36ers aren't advertising the live stream more on their website to let people know.

Also tonight's game in Perth is on the rivus tv list of games available but no other Perth games are? Anyone know if they are steaming for rest of the season or if this is just a one off experiment for them?

Topic #21308 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Actually, one thing I was wondering is, do the clubs get any of the money stream for the online coverage? It may all be going to Rivus at this stage, since it is still early days and $5 per customer isn't much to split between a new enterprise and the clubs as well. Anyone know how this is working at the moment?

Reply #253135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Adelaide has taken their equipment across to Perth so it can be streamed hence no other games for Perth are available.

Reply #253137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beantown I would think Adelaide would pay a set amount to Rivis TV and then keep all the $5 subscriptions no idea what the break even numbers are tho

Reply #253138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was noted by one of the Adelaide official (in the paper) i think that they broke even which was an extremely good effort seeing as it hadn't been advertised at all at that point and that it was the 1st night of live streaming. Once word gets around and the 36ers advertise (at least on their site, hopefully) they should make some $

Reply #253139 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, relatively low break even point as the games are already being taped and commentary is voluntary.

I am not sure that Adelaide have taken their equipment across, as the Wildcats already have a crew doing their home games, most likely now just making it available after a practice run last week.

I think youll find quite a few more games added to the Rivus list as we go, and not just Adelaide and Townsville games.

There is a company doing highlight packages for the league this year, so there is already broadcast quality footage from a number of venues - and that is somewhat paying dicidens with extra exposure on news services etc.

Reply #253140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't there something about Fox being willing to replay matches done by other free to air networks in individual club deals?

All the 36ers need to do is add a scoreboard thing and it's broadcast quality for Fox Sports to replay!

Also, i think Perth do it now too on Rivus TV.

Reply #253144 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The per game model suggests that there is a fixed and variable cost which the club has to cover. So maybe they pay a set fee per game and then so much per subscriber.

It's a risk, as I've commented before, with the high cost of broadband here, then if usage exploded and they did not have this sort of model, then they would be a very exposed. Hence why a league pass model is probably much harder to deliver.

Reply #253145 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

Hey i was on the rivus site and there info video says that the user (clubs?) put a price on the stream.

And they also mention the users getting a pay per view profit on one of the other pages.

Seems like clubs would pay a fee then.

Reply #253148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this stage it is only Adelaide and Townsville that are able to do streaming which is why it is only these teams games that are on the Rivus viewing list. The computer equipment that is needed was taken to Perth but they will use the video footage taken by the cats for the broardcast.

Reply #253149 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide and Townsville arent the only ones doing it, but that's ok, not worth arguing about, just good that it will be more clubs than those two from now on.

Reply #253151 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Paul, do you know who are the other clubs that will start streaming games?

Isaac, why would you not even mention the live stream on the 36ers site for tonights game?

Reply #253153 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A, I wont pre-empt before all finalised, but the coverage is being expanded which is a great thing. HO, the league pass idea is being discussed I believe and is workable apparently, which is also good news (the $5 add up eventually!).

Reply #253156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul I did say "at this stage" what happens tomorrow, next week or next month is anyones guess. And I do hope all the clubs will eventually get it so we the basketball fans aren't held to ransom by pay tv.

Reply #253160 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

A - just noticed the live streaming is being promoted on the livestats... they are promoting on hawks vs breakers so presume it just appears on all.

Reply #253178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, there is an animated ad near the top right saying "Click here to watch the live webcast".

Reply #253423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754