Sir Guns
Years ago

Dollar Amount - Value of coaches

Is paul mesecke worth the $$$ amount that sturt are paying him?

Should other coaches/coordinators/development positions at other clubs have the same incentive?

Topic #2132 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah he is... he is a bloody great coach!

Reply #24193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Sturt Paying him??

Reply #24201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What ever Sturt is paying, is between Sturt and Paul. Sturt has shown its focus on development by employing a full time coaching director. Great for basketball.
The more Clubs that follow suit the better, all it takes is to transfer some of the ABA spend to development. Since all clubs are working to a salary cap there should be some spare funds.

Reply #24203 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Heck, if all clubs are really working to a salary cap now, Forestville will have a fortune left over to spend. Maybe they can buy the Lleyton Dome instead!

[PS. Before I get embroiled in a Panther v Eagles-like fiasco ..... yes, I'm kidding. Lighten up!]

Reply #24207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But if we dont know what sturt are paying him how can a judgement be made on whether he is worth the dollars being paid.Being fulltime in his job does give him certain advantages over other Jdo's because he is able to put man hours into recruiting, coaching etc, while the other do it in whatever spare time they have from their full time jobs.
But to hear a number of sturt members lately grumbling about the constant pull of country players replacing the city kids i think he should spend more of his time on these kids because he may end up with no teams unless he fills them all with country kids.

Reply #24212 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

All clubs run on a tight budget and I believe that what Paul is being paid is between the club and himself. The full time JDO has worked for Sturt in recent years and I hope that Sturt can afford to continue with this (as much as I like to beat them as well).

Reply #24221 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Thought the ole incognito should make a comeback for today.

When it comes to what you pay Coaching Directors / Coordinators etc. they should realise one thing; ultimately money talks. You can have the best Coaching Director in the world and bring significant success to a junior program and you might even get 1 or 2 kids every 3 or 4 yrs go on to NBL but if they / this does not generate more revenue with greater participation how can they get paid more?

Should this money come from senior programs? I dont think so.

Clubs that I have seen are becoming very professional in appointing their junior Coaching Directors. Coaching Directors are measured against KPIs, go through a stringent application/interview process to get the role and they have job descriptions just like a normal job.

Coaching Directors etc. need to enterapenuers, setting up their basketball business, appointing a supporting team (not just coaches but community development type people such as Aussie Hoops coaches etc.) and getting out into the community to both grow the game at both district and regional level. They should be rewarded not only for their knowledge and success at developing top players but for their ability to develop and grow the game at a revenue generating level.

You will see most clubs moving to this as some already have done so.

Reply #24222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incognito,

Couldn't agree with you more. Aussie Hoops, Domestic Comps, Individual Clinics, School visits. All these things need to generate the income to pay for a full time Basketball operations person at each club.

IMHO as an association we should be using the money that is wasted on the BASA development officers and used by the clubs to help pay for a full time person for each club. Instead of spending $200K on 4 people. Give each club $20K and have them generate another $20K through the above programs and each club could easily have a full time position. So 10 in total.

There would obviously need to be some stipulations.
1/ I feel that the posititon could not go to somebody who is playing ABA. (a salary cap violation)
2/ That person is to report to their club AND Danny O'Brien. To make sure that we maintain the government grants.

Finally, this would help all clubs move forward.

Reply #24228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incognito,

How many clubs run Aussie Hoops??? How many clubs run domestic competitions??? Other than Forestville and Sturt, how many clubs have somebody employed to do these things??? I would say none! And if the COaching Directors are being ratted by their KPI's. I think a few should probably be looking for new employment. If the finals results are anything to go on. Or is this not a KPI. Do some clubs have 'committee members who's kids make their preferred team' as their major KPI?

Reply #24232 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

haha. What the hell does ratted mean???? Are you saying they are becoming rats?

Reply #24235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous (#24212)

"But to hear a number of sturt members lately grumbling about the constant pull of country players replacing the city kids"

This number of sturt players has grown into a lot more then just a few and insted of paul getting paid why don't sturt use the money to get coachers for most of the lower division teams. Some players havent had a set coach for a number of years

Reply #24272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous(#24272),

Is that practical? Pay someone like Meshcke to be your div 4.2 coach? The guy has just finished a year at the AIS after coaching state teams, junior teams for many years and playing ABL. Is getting coaches like this to coach a 4.2 team practical?

Reply #24274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt struggle to get lower div coaches just like other clubs,and the domestic comp helps them disguise this fact.
But if he is being paid $ then some of his time should be sourcing lower div coaches for you.
It cant be all well in sturt land at the moment as have seen and heard that a number of div one girls players have moved club this season.

Reply #24317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darn right some of the div one grils have moved and soon it won't just be them. Quite alot of non div 1 and some div 2 players are fed up with the way they are being treated. City South was set up mainly because of how bad the lower team were in both sturt and forestville not just to cut down on the trainings

Reply #24365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What!! too hard to develop lower div players!!!!!!!!
Only want to work with the elite,
anyone can develop natural talent
but a true coach can bring out the best in anything!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #24384 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754